Help installing windows

shaneh890

I’m trying to install windows on a new build I threw together with old parts. It’s gonna be a home server so it’s a little janky. 

As I’m trying to install windows, I’m getting to the point where it says “getting files ready for installation” with a percentage next to it. But it only gets to like 35-45% before the pc just crashes and completely shuts down. It won’t turn back on until I switch off the psu and turn it back on. Then I can turn the pc on and start the process over. 

one thing I think it could be is the cpu overheating. I’m using some sort of be quiet air cooler, but the original mounting hardware broke and it’s zip tied on. But I’m 90% sure there’s enough mounting pressure from the zip ties. 

any ideas on what could be the issue? 
There’s plenty of space on the drive, the hardware should be able to handle installing windows. 

Open up the bios, the idle temps will tell you all you need to know about them.

I'm thinking it's more likely to be PSU issue if it completely shuts down. Overheating would Reboot, not shut down.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Open up the bios, the idle temps will tell you all you need to know about them.

I'm thinking it's more likely to be PSU issue if it completely shuts down. Overheating would Reboot.

Bios settings says 80 on the cpu, but it hasn’t changed at all so I’m not sure if it’s accurate. I’m using a new psu, so it should be fine. 

34 minutes ago, shaneh890 said:

Bios settings says 80 on the cpu, but it hasn’t changed at all so I’m not sure if it’s accurate. I’m using a new psu, so it should be fine. 

If you have a fan to spare, try pointing it at the cooler while in bios to see if the temps change. The zip ties should be super super tightly on there.

4 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

If you have a fan to spare, try pointing it at the cooler while in bios to see if the temps change. The zip ties should be super super tightly on there.

I just cranked down on the zip ties and now bios settings says cpu temp at 35. It made it through the setup process but when it got the finished part the computer restarted and it still won’t load into windows 

3 hours ago, shaneh890 said:

I just cranked down on the zip ties and now bios settings says cpu temp at 35. It made it through the setup process but when it got the finished part the computer restarted and it still won’t load into windows 

What are the specs of your system

10 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

What are the specs of your system

FX 8350, gtx 750, 16 gigs ram (I couldn’t tell you the speeds lol) and I’m not sure the mobo. 256 gb ssd, 650 watt evga psu

edit. I finally got it to go into windows.