What should i upgrade to play valorant in good fps ? GPU OR CPU ?

hello everyone 
i want to ask you opinion about getting good fps in valorant
my current fps is around 120-180 
my monitor is 240hz
i want to get more fps 
my spec is 
Proc i7-7700k 
Motherboard : msi b150m mortar ( ps : i know this mobo its not good for K proc 🙂 )
ram : 4 x 4gb 2666 mhz
gpu : GTX 970

i can only upgrade one gpu or cpu
what you guys prefer ?

thanks for help
have a good day everyone

5 minutes ago, AlanPatrick20 said:

ps : i know this mobo its not good for K proc

Z270 board are pretty easy to find used, same with Z170s. I dont know if theyll be worthwhile at around 70$ on ebay, but if you can find them cheaper thatll be the dream, so you can have a more flexible tolerance in overclocking and undervolting the system.

Overall, you really should get both new GPU and CPU in a best case scenario, but you should take a look at the GPU and CPU load percentage when youre playing in game. Thats a better metric to dictate where to upgrade for more framerate in 1 specific game in a well balanced system.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Your CPU is pretty decent for gaming IMO, I'd recommend upgrading your GPU before your CPU most definitely to have a bigger impact in boosting your in game FPS :). (if you can only afford to upgrade one right now)

Your video card is obviously no slouch either, but there have been huge improvements in performance since your Generation of GPU, to the current Generation that is available. If you look at benchmarks comparing your 970 to something current and equivalent, you'll see a remarkable increase in performance.

Upgrade your GPU, but only if you can get something like a 3060/6600 or better. Otherwise, I'd just save up a bit more.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

If you look at this video here, this is a similar CPU and GPU to what you are currently using, the CPU usage is only 33 % in game, so it shows most of the work is going to be done by the GPU, and your CPU will still be fast enough to not make as big a difference, compared to upgrading your GPU 🙂

And yes, I know it's a 6 core, but your CPU will still not be causing the bottleneck, compared to your GPU. and I agree with @LienusLateTips and recommend going with at least a 3060 Ti.

3 hours ago, DynamiteOnFire said:

If you look at this video here, this is a similar CPU and GPU to what you are currently using, the CPU usage is only 33 % in game, so it shows most of the work is going to be done by the GPU, and your CPU will still be fast enough to not make as big a difference, compared to upgrading your GPU 🙂

And yes, I know it's a 6 core, but your CPU will still not be causing the bottleneck, compared to your GPU. and I agree with @LienusLateTips and recommend going with at least a 3060 Ti.

It's a 4 core. Not a 6 core. Which is a concern, but I think his GPU is still the thing more needed to upgrade.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

34 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

It's a 4 core. Not a 6 core. Which is a concern, but I think his GPU is still the thing more needed to upgrade.

Yes, I mentioned 'I know it's a 6 core' as in, the CPU in the video is a 6 core, and his is a only a 4 🙂 but the chances are, his CPU will still not come close to being over saturated with the gaming he intends to do, with his Current CPU, which is why I immediately recommended to opt for a new GPU over a new CPU, if he can only afford one for the time being. (To make the far bigger impact on increasing his FPS)

Sorry if my wording was hard to understand in Original Post!

**The CPU in the video, would be no more than 60 % more powerful than his current CPU, which would put him at just over 50% CPU load under the same circumstances with his 4 core CPU, which was the intention of my post, showing him his CPU still likely has lots of overhead, and won't be slowing his gaming down, like his current GPU will be.