Crosseyes with VR/Large Head (Lenovo Mixed VR)

dava4444

Hi

Some time ago I decided to made the leap and get some sort of VR.. I got a good deal on a Lenovo mixed reality headset secondhand on eBay.. but I had forgot I had a massive head.. my hat size is iirc 60 to 65 cm, despite this I manages to get the Lenovo to fit.. it seems like its a large headset anyway.. but there was still one problem; the eye distance was waayyy off for me.

I was pretty gutted.. but persevered taking the foam comfort band off and using many microfiber cloths to get it far enough away my sight would *almost* line up. occasionally I would get crosseyed-ness up to 2 hours after using the headset.

I didn't give up on the idea of being able to adjust the eye pieces though.. assuming this was the problem. I saw some kind person was fabricating lens adjusters. Like Alice I followed the rabbit down the hole but was surprised that after I paid for them I did receive my adjusters 3 weeks later.

The installation wasn't as clean room as I had hoped but after all was done.. the headset worked.

I reinstalled the foam comfort ring and tried some VR. No matter where I put the lenses, even though now they had an quarter inch in each side things were much worse.
After giving up again with the comforter and using the microfiber cloths after an hour I managed to get it somewhat back to the way I had it.. but that's not the much worse part.. over 24 hours of crosseyed-ness.

I. was. terrified.

I haven't touched the headset since.

What little time I had with it and it was *somewhat* working..  I really enjoyed VR. I am disabled and pretty much don't leave the house... VR was great.. but then not so much @ terrified.

I am wondering if my eyes aren't level.. even though they look level to me in the mirror. If my eyes are fine..

I am wondering if anyone has extensive experience with many different VR headsets.. and can advise me.. budget.. I would be willing to go up to a grand (£1000) but not over and it must come with all the fandangos (controllers accessories etc) for that price.

I need to know it's going to work because I can't* return things.. so, kindly, a grand down the drain is not an option. 🙂 

peace

Dava

-------

*'Can't' .. is an over-statement, but I don't have a car and it becomes a massive hassle getting family members involved to return anything. Then I need to deal with the seller who won't be happy the item is now used. etc etc more stress. If it's too stressful.. I might just leave it. @ disability causing me pain due to stress.

Main PC

HP Z840 Workstation / Dual Xeon E5-2660-V3 / 64GB DDR4 2133mhz ECC / Palit RTX 2080ti / 20? TB of storage/ 1125w 80Plus Silver PSU / Philips 58" 4K HDR TV /

Blogged on Tech for 10+ years (2007-2017), pretty much retired.. still like to complain about the Storage companies and how streaming companies are ripping people off with no-4K even ten years later.

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 3 weeks later...

bump

Main PC

HP Z840 Workstation / Dual Xeon E5-2660-V3 / 64GB DDR4 2133mhz ECC / Palit RTX 2080ti / 20? TB of storage/ 1125w 80Plus Silver PSU / Philips 58" 4K HDR TV /

Blogged on Tech for 10+ years (2007-2017), pretty much retired.. still like to complain about the Storage companies and how streaming companies are ripping people off with no-4K even ten years later.

First thing you're going to want to do is get an accurate measurement of your IPD from either an eye doctor or by other means such as those listed here.

https://www.roadtovr.com/how-to-measure-ipd-vr-headset-ar-iphone-app/

Once you know what your IPD is, you can look for a headset that can accommodate it. The cheap headsets usually have a fixed IPD that you can slight adjust in software but if your IPD is too far outside the fixed lens distance then no amount of software IPD correction is going to help.

The more expensive headsets like the Index, Vive Pro 2, Pimax, Reverb G2, etc... have a physical IPD adjustment to allow precision adjustment so your eyes fit the lens sweet spot correctly.

Look for a headset that supports your measured IPD and that should fix your eye strain issue.

There are some new headsets due out in 2022 so hopefully there is an option that has good visual quality, tracking, controllers, and physical IPD adjustment as a reasonable price.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:40 PM, trufret said:

*snip*

Sorry for the late reply.. I am very unwell with my disability.

IIRC.. my IPD is 70 to 80 (Windows lets you go to 68/69 but no further).. just used my digital calipers.. it says center of pupil to pupil is 77.14mm.

It's kind of.. idk ironic ?... that we have band adjustable headsets for audio but not VR/AR.. both are to fit our heads. (what I'm saying is.. imho the front should be able to band too)

Main PC

18 hours ago, dava4444 said:

Sorry for the late reply.. I am very unwell with my disability.

IIRC.. my IPD is 70 to 80 (Windows lets you go to 68/69 but no further).. just used my digital calipers.. it says center of pupil to pupil is 77.14mm.

It's kind of.. idk ironic ?... that we have band adjustable headsets for audio but not VR/AR.. both are to fit our heads. (what I'm saying is.. imho the front should be able to band too)

Wow, ok that would be the problem I think. 77mm is way over what those WMR headsets were designed for by over a 1 full cm in this case. I'm 68 mm and that's about the max my Reverb G2 will support.

It looks like the Vive Pro and Pro 2 will go to 72mm physically and the pimax headsets will go to 70mm physically and up to 75mm using additional Software offset.

You can take a look at the pimax headsets as they will get you the closest to your measured IPD but will still be a couple mm off even at max software offset. I have a Pimax 5K+ from the kickstarter and it was a decent headset but I wanted better clarity for flight sim cockpits so switched to the Reverb.

The Pimax headsets do have the advantage of the super wide FOV compared to anything else out there but they are expensive, they are a niche company out of China, and you'll need the Valve/HTC lighthouses and controllers so you'll have to mount them to the walls or tripods in your play space instead of the camera on the headset tracking of the WMR headsets.

Lighthouse tracking is much more accurate but more work to setup than the simple camera based tracking. If you do go that route, you might want to plug them into switchable power bars or network controlled outlets as last time I used mine, it wasn't able to put the lighthouses to sleep like the vive could so I had to keep manually unplugging them when I was done which can be a pain.

Maybe we'll see some more options with all the new headsets being shown off this year