RX 580 4gb OC memory ?

IvanPicha

Hello guys recently i search info for rx580 and everywhere they say the 4gb version dont benefit and cant go more then 2000mhz of memory and they say to leave it at 1750 as stock cuz it will give errors. In my amd software stock shows 2000mhz when it should be 1750 why is that ? Also i find that i can run it with 2200mhz without any stutters or problems (i try stress test with heaven benchmark and i have no problems but the score was almost the same from 1750 and 2200) im kinda confused

some cards have a higher stock freq

Id try to find out which memory you have, some varients can oc more

If you want, dump the bios of the card and I can take a look at what memory it has

The best way to see if a mem oc is stable it to use occts vram test

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, IvanPicha said:

Hello guys recently i search info for rx580 and everywhere they say the 4gb version dont benefit and cant go more then 2000mhz of memory and they say to leave it at 1750 as stock cuz it will give errors. In my amd software stock shows 2000mhz when it should be 1750 why is that ? Also i find that i can run it with 2200mhz without any stutters or problems (i try stress test with heaven benchmark and i have no problems but the score was almost the same from 1750 and 2200) im kinda confused

As an extreme overclocker the first few sentences hurt me on a deep level. 
Getting to the meat of the question, use GPUz to check the memory speed, it'll say. Faster memory doesn't always result in an FPS improvment but generally it can help certain situations. Each graphics card is different, some have Samsung memory, some have hynix, etc, each GPU die has different qualities of IMC, it all effects what the max stable clock speed is, saying any RX 580 4Gb can't over 2000MHz is not quite right but from what I know the 4GB ones usually have IMCs of lesser quality. It's a bit rare to see 2200MHz on the card though, that's decently high. Some models come stock with 2000MHz clocks however. What model is the card.

Yours faithfully

10 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

some cards have a higher stock freq

Id try to find out which memory you have, some varients can oc more

If you want, dump the bios of the card and I can take a look at what memory it has

The best way to see if a mem oc is stable it to use occts vram test

Thanks i will use this program to test it but for dumb the bios of the card i have no idea how to do it.

10 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

As an extreme overclocker the first few sentences hurt me on a deep level. 
Getting to the meat of the question, use GPUz to check the memory speed, it'll say. Faster memory doesn't always result in an FPS improvment but generally it can help certain situations. Each graphics card is different, some have Samsung memory, some have hynix, etc, each GPU die has different qualities of IMC, it all effects what the max stable clock speed is, saying any RX 580 4Gb can't over 2000MHz is not quite right but from what I know the 4GB ones usually have IMCs of lesser quality. It's a bit rare to see 2200MHz on the card though, that's decently high. Some models come stock with 2000MHz clocks however. What model is the card.

Well its gigabyte windforce 2 or smth like that

4 minutes ago, IvanPicha said:

Well its gigabyte windforce 2 or smth like that

Stock memory speed on that should be 1750MHz, but maybe the software overclocked itself. 

Yours faithfully

Stock memory speed on that should be 1750MHz, but maybe the software overclocked itself. 

Yeah thats what i found too but its 2000mhz by default.From cpu-z it says that is Polaris 20 XT no idea what that is ? Also can memory oc damage the card ? I ask cuz the benefit is not that big. I know every overclocking is dangerous but if this is very dangerous for memory oc i will back it to 1750

16 minutes ago, IvanPicha said:

Thanks i will use this program to test it but for dumb the bios of the card i have no idea how to do it.

Download gpuz and dump the bios with that

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Download gpuz and dump the bios with that

its Hynix. Also it says that the default clock of memory is 2000mhz. @Lord Nicoll so that means its not set by the amd software im even more confused now cuz everywhere 4gb versions are 1750 stock.:😄

9 minutes ago, IvanPicha said:

its Hynix. Also it says that the default clock of memory is 2000mhz. @Lord Nicoll so that means its not set by the amd software im even more confused now cuz everywhere 4gb versions are 1750 stock.:😄

Oh overclocking is not dangerous. Extreme overclocking is, normal gamer overclocks are fine. You're not taking soldering irons to graphics cards to hack voltage controllers and add capacitors and attaching LN2 pots to the thing, that can kill hardware, just casual overclocking won't. 

Yours faithfully

12 minutes ago, IvanPicha said:

so that means its not set by the amd software im even more confused now cuz everywhere 4gb versions are 1750 stock.:😄

I have the Sapphire Nitro + OC version, and it's memory is at 2000mhz with a clock speed of 1411, because the board manufacturer (sapphire in this case) set up the GPU bios to give it a slight overclock.  Every card is different, but I found, in my case, that I can't really get anything out of changing the memory clock.  The gigabyte windforce cards have a slight clock speed overclock on them, 1355mhz according to the gigabyte page, but that is not very much, so my advice would be to focus on the clock speed - get it as high as you can without losing stability.  Make sure that you max out the power limit as well, providing your PSU is good, because that will mean it is just thermals and not power draw that throttle it.  

10 hours ago, randomGuy512 said:

I have the Sapphire Nitro + OC version, and it's memory is at 2000mhz with a clock speed of 1411, because the board manufacturer (sapphire in this case) set up the GPU bios to give it a slight overclock.  Every card is different, but I found, in my case, that I can't really get anything out of changing the memory clock.  The gigabyte windforce cards have a slight clock speed overclock on them, 1355mhz according to the gigabyte page, but that is not very much, so my advice would be to focus on the clock speed - get it as high as you can without losing stability.  Make sure that you max out the power limit as well, providing your PSU is good, because that will mean it is just thermals and not power draw that throttle it.  

I know that also 1400mhz clock speed max without problems at 1095 volts. i dont want to rush it more then 1400 cuz my card will need a lot of voltage increase its not worrth the temps that i will get for some extra 50 mhz.

Oh overclocking is not dangerous. Extreme overclocking is, normal gamer overclocks are fine. You're not taking soldering irons to graphics cards to hack voltage controllers and add capacitors and attaching LN2 pots to the thing, that can kill hardware, just casual overclocking won't. 

Out of topic may i ask you can i run 4 sticks of ram 8gb 3600mhz cl17 on intel i7 9700. Cuz i read that 4 sticks can  stress the imc is that right ? I have 2 sticks 8gb but i really want to upgrade for 32gb of ram what do you think should be fine with 4 sticks or no ?

3 hours ago, IvanPicha said:

Out of topic may i ask you can i run 4 sticks of ram 8gb 3600mhz cl17 on intel i7 9700. Cuz i read that 4 sticks can  stress the imc is that right ? I have 2 sticks 8gb but i really want to upgrade for 32gb of ram what do you think should be fine with 4 sticks or no ?

Its not gaurenteed that itll work, but intel has far less issues with it than amd did

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Its not gaurenteed that itll work, but intel has far less issues with it than amd did

oh right so what should i do ? umm what do you think it will be fine or not that much ?

On 12/19/2021 at 11:11 PM, IvanPicha said:

Depends on the motherboard and CPU's IMC but I don't think 32GB of 3600 CL17 is that much, I have a 32GB kit of 4000 CL18, but it won't run on my board because my board is a bit old and was designed before A2 PCB's where around so can't really clock them well, it's also a T topology board so it prefers all 4 DIMMs to be populated but daisy chain boards will prefer only 2

Yours faithfully