PCIe wifi card, or motherboard Wi-Fi?

MasteredDelta
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

The PCIe card has the advantage of being more flexible, since you can buy whatever you want and replace it if needed. With the built-in you'd have to replace the whole MB. But on the plus side, it's already there at no extra cost.

That being said, you're not going to benefit from Wi-Fi 6 unless you router also supports it.

1: Should I get a PCIe Wi-Fi card or just get built in Wi-Fi?

2: As an example, Z390 only supports built in Wi-Fi 5, but can I use a Wi-Fi 6 or higher PCIe Wi-Fi card on it?

The PCIe card has the advantage of being more flexible, since you can buy whatever you want and replace it if needed. With the built-in you'd have to replace the whole MB. But on the plus side, it's already there at no extra cost.

That being said, you're not going to benefit from Wi-Fi 6 unless you router also supports it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Do the wifi cards need drivers of some sort or they just work

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Also lets say the MB Wi-Fi doesnt work any more, can I get a Wi-Fi card and still have Wi-Fi

1 minute ago, MasteredDelta said:

Do the wifi cards need drivers of some sort or they just work

Any hardware requires a driver. Doesn't matter if it's part of the motherboard or a separate card. Whether you need to manually install them depends on if the OS includes them out of the box. If you look on the motherboard manufacturer's website, you'll very likely find drivers for its included Wi-Fi.

Just now, MasteredDelta said:

Also lets say the MB Wi-Fi doesnt work any more, can I get a Wi-Fi card and still have Wi-Fi

Sure.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply