MOBO won't Recognize Storage Devices

Yoshi Moshi

What Happened: Computer was working fine, except for my water pump. I drained some of the loop and added in a new pump. I go to power it on and it won't recognize Storage Devices so I can't get into windows. I did nothing else. I didn't unseat and reseat any devices.

Hardware:

MOBO: X570 E Gaming

CPU: AMD 39OOX

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090

RAM: 32 GB

SATA Device 1: Optical CD Drive

SATA Device 2: HDD

SATA Device 3: SSD

M.2 Device: SSD

Details:

• The system successfully posts.
  • I get into the BIOS but not the OS.
  • The GPU seems to be working fine.
  • In the BIOS I see the correct CPU is recognized
  • In the BIOS I see the correct amount of RAM and speed
  • None of my storage devices are recognized. I go into the boot options to select boot configuration and nothing comes up. Not the optical drive, HDD, SATA SSD, or M.2 SSD
  • I put in the USB port a Windows installation device to trouble shoot. It appears to not recognize any storage devices here either. When I try to recover windows, no images are found
  • The SATA devices are connected and getting powered.

Maybe I screwed something up and something shifted while I was moving my computer around. But I find it very hard to believe all 3 SATA devices got screwed up as well as my M.2 drive. Something doesn't seem correct with the symptoms I have.

Thanks for any help!

Okay, check your mobo manual:
Installing a m.2 may disable some SATA ports.  (But not all.)

Hey thanks for the help. I had a M.2 SSD in their the whole time before and after installing the new pump

I don't see anything in my MOBO manual about that.

I did some more trouble shooting.

BIOS -> Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Boot Device Control Option, change from "UEFI only" to "UEFI and Legacy OPROM"

Then I save and reset. Now when I go into the Boot menu. I see under boot options priorities my M.2 SSD and SATA devices. Weird...

However now when I don't enter the BIOS I get a black screen with white text "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

So some progress but still can't get into windows. And I know for a fact that I had windows 11 OS on the M.2 SSD, which is recognized I'm BIOS but I can't get into the OS

This is really weird. Thanks for the help and let me know, does these symptoms help diagnose my issue at all?

If you boot the system with the power connector not connected to the pump does it act normal then?
(Im just wondering this as its the only thing you've changed.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I like the way you think. Just undo the change. Maybe I was drawing to much power with the pump. With the pump off though I still have the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's the only thing I did.

I have a 1000 W power supply. Single CPU and video card setup. Should be way more than enough.

BIOS -> Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Boot from Storage Devices -> "UEFI only" change to "Legacy only"

BIOS -> Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices-> "UEFI only" change to "Legacy only"

I've tried both options for storage devices and PCI-E devices, Legacy only and PCI-E only, with pump on and off. Makes no difference.

Interestingly my devices are only recognized in boot priority configuration  if the following is true

BIOS -> Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> "Launch CSM" is "Enabled"

AND

BIOS -> Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> "Boot Device Control" is "UEFI and Legacy OPROM"

I use a Windows 10 Home USB boot/install drive. It also recognizes my SATA devices and M.2 and gives me the option to install windows on them, which I don't want to do.

On my M.2 SSD it's reporting that it's nearly full (like how I had it before installing the pump) so I don't think the contents got erased.

However I don't have the option to select a operating system to "Repair my Computer".

So when I try to "Startup Repair" from the Windows 10 USB install device or "System Restore" or "System Image Recovery" it won't let me 

However In "System Image Recovery" I can navigate to my M.2 storage device and see all the files on it, including windows files. However it won't let me recover on it. I can see if I can find the "Setup Information" it's looking for but I'm not really sure what that is.

This is pretty weird. Thanks for any help guys.