Upgrade or new build? 4k Video editing but no gaming? Graphics card vs cpu editing??

DreamerGeek

Budget (including currency):$500-1000 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing 4k videos, not sure software to use yet? some use gpu some use cpu, whats a cheap software suite to edit 4k on cpu?

Other details: 

I have two similar systems, I am going to upgrade... I'm in a pickle though. So I got the option to upgrade to windows 11 for free but my cpu does not support it, I want to take advantage of the free upgrade (haters gone hate win 11 I know)

So Its obvious I need to bump ram and storage up, thats easy part, 32gb and 2tb m.2s on both systems.

Main System Garage Computer
ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ASRock - AB350 Pro4
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 AMD Ryzen 3 1200
8GB (2x 4GB DDR4) 8GB (2x 4GB DDR4)
Gigabyte RX580 8GB Gigabyte RX570 4GB
(OS) M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 256 (OS + Dropbox) M.2 HP EX920 1TB
(Dropbox) M.2 HP EX920 1TB  
(Legacy Storage) 2x 3TB - win soft raid  
2x LG Ultrawide 34in (3440x1440) 2x 1920x1080 Monitors

Hard part main system: CPU does not have graphics support, I do not game, 0 gaming, but I have two 4kish monitors, and I want to do simple 4k edit. Im thinking of selling the graphics cards If buying a higher end CPU with GPU built in that will support 4k editing. Other dilemma is that these ultra wide screens run on hdmi or display port, but motherboard only has hdmi, dvi, vga (also type c though, maybe support 4k?)

Garage computer: does not need editing, pry just upgrade to a cpu with gpu support and sell graphics card, but I want to be able to playback 4k60.

Can I upgrade cpu to support 4k edit, and sell the graphics cards? or do I keep the graphics card in the mix.

Or do I sell it all and build two new systems?

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, DreamerGeek said:

Budget (including currency):$500-1000 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing 4k videos, not sure software to use yet? some use gpu some use cpu, whats a cheap software suite to edit 4k on cpu?

Other details: 

I have two similar systems, I am going to upgrade... I'm in a pickle though. So I got the option to upgrade to windows 11 for free but my cpu does not support it, I want to take advantage of the free upgrade (haters gone hate win 11 I know)

So Its obvious I need to bump ram and storage up, thats easy part, 32gb and 2tb m.2s on both systems.

Main System Garage Computer
ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ASRock - AB350 Pro4
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 AMD Ryzen 3 1200
8GB (2x 4GB DDR4) 8GB (2x 4GB DDR4)
Gigabyte RX580 8GB Gigabyte RX570 4GB
(OS) M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 256 (OS + Dropbox) M.2 HP EX920 1TB
(Dropbox) M.2 HP EX920 1TB  
(Legacy Storage) 2x 3TB - win soft raid  
2x LG Ultrawide 34in (3440x1440) 2x 1920x1080 Monitors

Hard part main system: CPU does not have graphics support, I do not game, 0 gaming, but I have two 4kish monitors, and I want to do simple 4k edit. Im thinking of selling the graphics cards If buying a higher end CPU with GPU built in that will support 4k editing. Other dilemma is that these ultra wide screens run on hdmi or display port, but motherboard only has hdmi, dvi, vga (also type c though, maybe support 4k?)

Garage computer: does not need editing, pry just upgrade to a cpu with gpu support and sell graphics card, but I want to be able to playback 4k60.

Can I upgrade cpu to support 4k edit, and sell the graphics cards? or do I keep the graphics card in the mix.

Or do I sell it all and build two new systems?

Thanks in advance!

One other idea: move the rx570 and rx580 to main system for editing? Is this a good or bad idea? will the software even use both gpus and cpu?

What codec are you ediiting?

5 minutes ago, DreamerGeek said:

some use gpu some use cpu, whats a cheap software suite to edit 4k on cpu?

Resolve? Free, Id give it a shot.

You can probably do 4k editing on your system now, why not give it a try. The 1200 is slow, but will easily do it if you use proxies.

6 minutes ago, DreamerGeek said:

Your gonna need a decent graphics card for any editing program these days.

sell all, except monitor.

rx580 used can reach 300-350$, rx 570 = 250-275$

price main = 550-580$

price garage = 450-475$

let say, all sold at 950$. total budget reach 1950$. build main pc first for got big advantage

maybe like this :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-11700F 2.5 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 Mini 64.87 CFM CPU Cooler  ($40.09 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix MAX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($929.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill PRISM S LITE ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1708.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-14 19:48 EST-0500

3 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

price main = 550-580$

price garage = 450-475$

let say, all sold at 950$. total budget reach 1950$. build main pc first for got big advantage

maybe like this :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 Mini 64.87 CFM CPU Cooler  ($40.09 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix MAX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 

Id get the non f version of the cpu, as they can do better media decoding that any deticated gpu on the market currently can. Id try to geta. 12600k instead if you can too.

30 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get the non f version of the cpu, as they can do better media decoding that any deticated gpu on the market currently can. Id try to geta. 12600k instead if you can too.

he use 2 x 34 inch monitor. i doubt igpu can handle that two (4k editing)

Im 

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What codec are you ediiting?

Resolve? Free, Id give it a shot.

You can probably do 4k editing on your system now, why not give it a try. The 1200 is slow, but will easily do it if you use proxies.

Your gonna need a decent graphics card for any editing program these days.

I will definitely check out resolve. And the magic in what you mention is the proxies, I had to look that one up. Thank you!

Anyone else have advice on cheap / free 4k edit software, or I'm willing to purchase software outright but would need a license for desktop and laptop for travel. I really do like the idea of paying monthly for software. 

56 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

price main = 550-580$

price garage = 450-475$

maybe like this :

PCPartPicker Part List

I like the idea of selling the two graphics cards, also sell the cpus. But I dont know if I wanna sell both systems and blow the whole budget on one build. My budget is honestly anything I am not limited, however I intend to do extensive travel soon, which will require a blow out budget on the laptop for editing. The main desktop will be used when visiting home, and the secondary is used for basic tasks.

Im thinking to max out cpu purchase for main pc, and a simple cpu with graphics for secondary?

I guess I am limited to a FM4 socket with this mb and these cpus:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/index.asp#CPU

also the system's are now 4 years old... 

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This is an AMD system with FX4 slot.

I am a computer tech but don't keep up on the differences of Cpu's I typically gauge a cpu based on its score when building, however I assume some cpus are better for certain things, where the benchmark number matters less, such as hyperthreading, cores, etc. and wither the software can use it or not?

24 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

he use 2 x 34 inch monitor. i doubt igpu can handle that two (4k editing)

The igpu is for decoding video. The igpu on intel cpus can decode some video formats that no igpu can decode. You still want a dgpu for most of the work.

VIdeo editing doesn't care about monitor res, so the monitors OP has doesn' tmatter here.

10 minutes ago, DreamerGeek said:

Im 

I will definitely check out resolve. And the magic in what you mention is the proxies, I had to look that one up. Thank you!

Anyone else have advice on cheap / free 4k edit software, or I'm willing to purchase software outright but would need a license for desktop and laptop for travel. I really do like the idea of paying monthly for software. 

What footage are you working with?

Id just give resolve a shot on the current hardware, should be able to handle 4k if you set it up right currently

2 minutes ago, DreamerGeek said:

This is an AMD system with FX4 slot.

I am a computer tech but don't keep up on the differences of Cpu's I typically gauge a cpu based on its score when building, however I assume some cpus are better for certain things, where the benchmark number matters less, such as hyperthreading, cores, etc. and wither the software can use it or not?

What footage are you working with? Codec? Bit depth? Chroma subsampling?

If you can do decoding in hardware, editing will be much smoother.

Why not try the systems you have now? Resolve have a free version, and your system both meet the min spec.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The igpu is for decoding video. The igpu on intel cpus can decode some video formats that no igpu can decode. You still want a dgpu for most of the work.

VIdeo editing doesn't care about monitor res, so the monitors OP has doesn' tmatter here.

What footage are you working with?

Id just give resolve a shot on the current hardware, should be able to handle 4k if you set it up right currently

I am just going to be editing gopro 4k60. and other cams with 4k60, by no means professional needs, So should be simple? 

The thing is I 100% for sure want to upgrade the CPUs, to support windows 11 and keep the systems or sell them, Also throw 32gb ram at main system, then move the 8gb to second system for 16gb.

The real dilemma what cpu should I buy for this system? https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/index.asp#CPU

I was search newegg for ideas for win 11 support and dedicated;

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=windows+11+cpu&N=601387855 100007671 8000 601350562 601350561 601353519&Order=1

these are not on the supported list, but i think they will work? same socket?? 

Am I assuming correctly that the motherboard would handle cpus that are not listed on there support list as its an old motherboard?

1 minute ago, DreamerGeek said:

I am just going to be editing gopro 4k60. and other cams with 4k60, by no means professional needs, So should be simple? 

Thats normally h.264 or h.265 so its some of the worst footage to edit. 

Are you having other performance issues? Id keep them for now, and probably just upgrade the whole platform to ddr5 in a few years if it was me. But something like a 3800x wouldn't be a bad upgrade if you want to keep your board and do it now.

3 minutes ago, DreamerGeek said:

The thing is I 100% for sure want to upgrade the CPUs, to support windows 11 and keep the systems or sell them,

I wouldn't worry about windows 11 much. You still got a few more years of windows 10 support, and its easy to get windows 11 running on a un supported cpu.

3 minutes ago, DreamerGeek said:

Am I assuming correctly that the motherboard would handle cpus that are not listed on there support list as its an old motherboard?

The newer cpus probalby won't work. Id only get a cpu thats listed as compatible.

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats normally h.264 or h.265 so its some of the worst footage to edit. 

Are you having other performance issues? Id keep them for now, and probably just upgrade the whole platform to ddr5 in a few years if it was me. But something like a 3800x wouldn't be a bad upgrade if you want to keep your board and do it now.

I wouldn't worry about windows 11 much. You still got a few more years of windows 10 support, and its easy to get windows 11 running on a un supported cpu.

The newer cpus probalby won't work. Id only get a cpu thats listed as compatible.

Electronics Wizard, thank you so much for the help. 

Biggest help was leading me to Davinci Resolve. I downloaded it and tried it. Its an amaziing suite that is free with 4k60 support, and if I like it I can purchase full version outright for $300.

Secondly the mention of proxy edit, I tried Resolve and my CPU is maxed and horrible playback, I did some light reseach on proxy and found a video to help, I have not got the proxy working, but the "generate optimized media" worked amazing, I can now playback and skim smoothly!

As for parts, I did some price comps for the supported cpus. I ordered a Ryzen 7 1700x for $160, has cpubenchmark.com score of 17.6K over my current 6.2k, also ordered a 2x16gb Teamgroup 3200 kit.

After looking at the compatible APU list, they are all very slow..

Thank you!