Thoughts on this Ultra Wide Curved Display? Philips 346E2CUAE

Andrewf

I just ordered one for my office computer. I do video editing on Avid, AE graphics, photoshop, etc. It's going to replace my current dual-1080p 24" monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KFSMGJ8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I thought about also using my current 24" monitors alongside, is that viable or am I going to want a 2nd ultra wide? Will post pictures of my work battle station if people are interested.

Well you are going from about 91.8 ppi vertical to 107.5 ppi vertical.  Width wise, it's really up to you how wide you want to go.  21" for the 24" vs. 31" for the 34".  Or if you use both 24" alongside, that's 42".

So if you use both old monitors along the same horizontal axis as the new 34", that's 73" of horizontal...which is a LOT; especially when you are talking about < 15" vertical.  You might be better off using the 24" side by side on top of the 34"...or one to the side, one on top. 

32 minutes ago, Andrewf said:

I just ordered one for my office computer. I do video editing on Avid, AE graphics, photoshop, etc. It's going to replace my current dual-1080p 24" monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KFSMGJ8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I thought about also using my current 24" monitors alongside, is that viable or am I going to want a 2nd ultra wide? Will post pictures of my work battle station if people are interested.

Depends on how much video card you have and what connections it has.  3400x1400 is already a lot of pixels to push. Kind of randomly  Assuming the 24” monitors are 1920x1080 (they might be smaller, possibly much smaller) the new single monito is already more pixels than the card was pushing befor and you want to not quite double that.  they could all be attached to the same desktop but could make for a rather janky appearance because the colors and ppi will be different.  I’m not sure where the task bar would default to. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, IPD said:

Well you are going from about 91.8 ppi vertical to 107.5 ppi vertical.  Width wise, it's really up to you how wide you want to go.  21" for the 24" vs. 31" for the 34".  Or if you use both 24" alongside, that's 42".

So if you use both old monitors along the same horizontal axis as the new 34", that's 73" of horizontal...which is a LOT; especially when you are talking about < 15" vertical.  You might be better off using the 24" side by side on top of the 34"...or one to the side, one on top. 

That's some helpful math. So I think I'll do either one of my old displays alongside, or a 2nd philips ultra wide. Just for fun. I have a ton of desk space, so that's not an issue, and as an editor, you can NEVER have enough horizontal space.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Depends on how much video card you have and what connections it has.  3400x1400 is already a lot of pixels to push. Kind of randomly  Assuming the 24” monitors are 1920x1080 (they might be smaller, possibly much smaller) they could all be attached to the same desktop but could make for a rather janky appearance because the colors and ppi will be different.  I’m not sure where the task bar would default to. 

That's not an issue, on this computer it has 2x Xeon E5-2620 v4s, and an NVIDIA Quadro P4000. You're right about the mismatch probably looking janky. I might be setting myself up for frustration by not just getting 2 from the start.

Just now, Andrewf said:

That's some helpful math. So I think I'll do either one of my old displays alongside, or a 2nd philips ultra wide. Just for fun. I have a ton of desk space, so that's not an issue, and as an editor, you can NEVER have enough horizontal space.

That's not an issue, on this computer it has 2x Xeon E5-2620 v4s, and an NVIDIA Quadro P4000. You're right about the mismatch probably looking janky. I might be setting myself up for frustration by not just getting 2 from the start.

If it’s not an issue it’s not an issue.  I don’t know what monitor connections a p4000 has but if you can connect em you can connect them.  Windows will make one gigantic desktop out of all of them. You can arrange them in one of the utilities in settings I believe.  Might be wrong about that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If it’s not an issue it’s not an issue.  I don’t know what monitor connections a p4000 has but if you can connect em you can connect them.  Windows will make one gigantic desktop out of all of them. You can arrange them in one of the utilities in settings I believe.  Might be wrong about that.

No, you're right. It looks like it has an HDMI, and 3x DP. The max resolution is something like 16k x 16k or according to this NVIDIA Data Sheet up 4x displays at 5k (5120 x 2880). So the actual monitor I ordered is used. If for any reason it turns out to be junk, I'll return it. I have a good warranty on it as well. If it turns out I love it, and need more, I'll get a 2nd one for Dual Ultra Wide.

4 minutes ago, Andrewf said:

No, you're right. It looks like it has an HDMI, and 3x DP. The max resolution is something like 16k x 16k or according to this NVIDIA Data Sheet up 4x displays at 5k (5120 x 2880). So the actual monitor I ordered is used. If for any reason it turns out to be junk, I'll return it. I have a good warranty on it as well. If it turns out I love it, and need more, I'll get a 2nd one for Dual Ultra Wide.

Then if your 24” ones are DP you’ll be able to connect the new monitor via either.  Not all hdmi is created equal though, and if it’s an early hdmi you might have an issue.  

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Then if your 24” ones are DP you’ll be able to connect the new monitor via either.  Not all hdmi is created equal though, and if it’s an early hdmi you might have an issue.  

My current monitors are weird. The P4000 only has 1x HDMI and 3x DP. I have an HDMI>DVI and a DP>DVI cable that they're plugged into. They were always like that for some reason for as long as I can remember. They're not bad at all, but still, they're years overdue for an upgrade. I'd probably rty and see how 1x old 24" looks next to the ultrawide. I have room for them all, just have to adjust the height of the monitor stands on this massive desk.

The specs along with the color accuracy is what sold me on it. 99.5% NTSC? That's perfect, even though I have a separate monitor for color, I'd say half of my work goes to broadcast.