Wireless Access Point For Small Soho

timothyt87

Dear Friends,

I have a small office with 8 - 10 members working on the same place with a 50Mbps Download and 15Mbps-ish Upload that are distributed with the ISP basic modem/wifi router combo ( Huwawei EG8141A5 ). We are experiencing a slow connection when multiple devices joins the network, a lot of packet drops and / or a slow transmit issue when all of us using the network.

Ping: 68.904 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 18.51 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 13.75 Mbit/s

Mind you that the result of the test is conducted with all of the member currently working ( Browsing for footage such as videos, images, emails, music streaming, etc )

When some of us are in the middle of online meetings, we experiences a bad call quality such as pixelated video / bad voice quality through out the meetings.

Currently we have 8 - 10 Laptops that are connected via WiFi ( 2.4 Ghz ), plus mobile phones ( another 8 - 10 ) , in total 20+ devices that are connected simultaneously.

Do you have any suggestions on Wifi Router that are suited for this type of usages?

Currently i have TP-Link Archer C80 AC1900 Wifi Router TpLink Archer C80 C 80 / TP-Link Archer C7 TPLink AC1750 WiFi Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router in mind.

The plan is to plug the new device , and turn of the wifi from the modem/wifi combo, and transmit the wifi from the new Wifi device ( TP-Link )

Thank you in Advanced.

If you need more details, please let me know, i will provide it

7 hours ago, timothyt87 said:

I have a small office with 8 - 10 members working on the same place with a 50Mbps Download and 15Mbps-ish Upload that are distributed with the ISP basic modem/wifi router combo ( Huwawei EG8141A5 ). We are experiencing a slow connection when multiple devices joins the network, a lot of packet drops and / or a slow transmit issue when all of us using the network.

I doubt its a WiFi issue, more that you are saturating your Internet connection and not really anything you can do about that unless you can buy something faster.

One way to test that would be to wire one device into the router and perform the tests again, ideally do two tests with one when everyone ISN'T actively using the connection as a comparison.  If the ping is dramatically lower on the idle test it would suggest the connection is indeed being overloaded during business hours.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 12/15/2021 at 2:05 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I doubt its a WiFi issue, more that you are saturating your Internet connection and not really anything you can do about that unless you can buy something faster.

One way to test that would be to wire one device into the router and perform the tests again, ideally do two tests with one when everyone ISN'T actively using the connection as a comparison.  If the ping is dramatically lower on the idle test it would suggest the connection is indeed being overloaded during business hours.

Thank you, ill try to upgrade the speed and see if it helped