Virgin Media with PFsense

digitaldoughnut
Go to solution Solved by whispous,

The WAN port on your pfsense box will be able to talk to the modem without changing the modem's IP.

Hi, 

For those not in the UK, Virgin Media (VM) are an isp who deliver broadband via HFC (Hybrid fibre coax) and supply their own router, modem box that you have to use even if you set it to just being a modem which is what I want to do. However when I set the router into modem mode the IP is changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1. I want my pfsense router to be a 10.0.10.x (/24). If I did this would I still be able to login to the VM hub/modem? As far as I can tell I cannot change the IP of the VM modem. 

Thanks 🙂 

The WAN port on your pfsense box will be able to talk to the modem without changing the modem's IP.

2 hours ago, whispous said:

Ok perfect thanks for the help. 

7 hours ago, digitaldoughnut said:

Hi, 

For those not in the UK, Virgin Media (VM) are an isp who deliver broadband via HFC (Hybrid fibre coax) and supply their own router, modem box that you have to use even if you set it to just being a modem which is what I want to do. However when I set the router into modem mode the IP is changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1. I want my pfsense router to be a 10.0.10.x (/24). If I did this would I still be able to login to the VM hub/modem? As far as I can tell I cannot change the IP of the VM modem. 

Thanks 🙂 

192.168.100.1 is a common IP for modems. My SB6141 uses the same IP. This is a private address that should be use to access the modem if you should need to. The modem should just pass the IP address that your ISP has assigned to you to the PFsense box, which would be the WAN interface. You will then setup you DHCP on the PFsense box to 10.0.10.x. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, digitaldoughnut said:

Hi, 

Thanks 🙂 

As the other said, that the management LAN for the modem so you can get in to switch it back to NAT mode or monitor the line stats.

I believe you can setup a Virtual IP on the WAN port and a NAT rule to allow any client on your LAN to access the modems IP address, if you should need to access the modems UI.  Other than that as others have said you should be assigned a normal public IP address by the modem for Internet.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7