RTX 3080 random shuttering almost all games +other issues

Ashino

Hi, I just upgraded my pc this week from a 6 year old Corsair TX850w PSU to a Corsair HX1200w PSU and went from a GTX 1080 Ti to an MSI RTX 3080 Gaming z Trio. I'm still using an i7 8700k with an z370 Aorus gaming 7 motherboard and 16gb of ram. My problem now is that I keep experiencing stuttering in almost all my games regardless of how demanding the game is. The CPU and GPU would both be at like 50% usage or less and the stutter would still happen. Temps are also all fine (GPU and CPU typically stay at around 60-65c at load). In order to try to get this stuttering to go away, I've tried to use that OC button on my motherboard because I know nothing about overclocking and afraid to ruin something if I do it manually myself (I'm really good at breaking stuff unintentionally) but to my sadness that OC button doesn't light up when i press it while the pc is turned off and it doesn't work. Am i suppose to press it while the pc is turned on? can i enable it from the bios? please let me know if you can figure out the reason why it isn't working.

Anyway, I've also tried:

1- enabling/disabling hardware accelerated gpu scheduling on windows

2- turning game mode in windows on and off

3- set the power management mode in Nvidia control panel to set maximum performance and normal.

4- Set FPS limits higher and lower, stuttering still happens regardless.

5- Turning ray tracing/ DLSS settings on and off

And yes, before upgrading my GPU i went into safe mode and used DDU to remove my old driver then I installed the GPU and installed the new driver. 

Anyone have any idea what else I can do to at least reduce the stuttering a little bit? 

Full specs:

i7 8700k @4.3ghz

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming z Trio

Gigabyte z370 Aorus gaming 7 motherboard

16GB Corsair vengeance ram @3200mhz 

Corsair HX1200w PSU using multirail 

Stuttering is almost always a CPU bottleneck, but the 8700K is still a perfectly capable CPU. What kind of resolution and quality setting are you running at?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

On 12/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, Chris Pratt said:

Stuttering is almost always a CPU bottleneck, but the 8700K is still a perfectly capable CPU. What kind of resolution and quality setting are you running at?

1080p everything ultra since I didn't just buy a 3080 just to run games on high settings at 1080p like I did with my 1080 Ti. I know a 3080 is overkill for 1080p, but i'll upgrade the monitor later. I know a cpu bottleneck would look something like the cpu would be at 100% usage while the GPU is at 50% or something but that's not happening at all. CPU rarely ever hits even 70% on any game.

I'd start with a fresh windows install before trying to condemn any of the hardware.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd start with a fresh windows install before trying to condemn any of the hardware.

I thought about that, but I would rather exhaust every other option first before doing that and honestly I would rather live with the stutter then reinstall windows because its way too much of a hassle and a commitment of time that i don't have.

Just now, Ashino said:

I thought about that, but I would rather exhaust every other option first before doing that and honestly I would rather live with the stutter than reinstall windows because its way too much of a hassle and a commitment of time that i don't have.

I have an 8700K and KPE GTX 980 that was swapped out from a 2060 that I've moved to another PC in the house. I haven't these issues even with the 980, let alone the 2060. But my install is super fresh, few months old. The swap was done in W11 without issue and without DDU.

Hardware side..... If you have XMP enabled, try it disabled. If it is disabled, try and enable it... see how it goes.

6 minutes ago, Ashino said:

1080p everything ultra since I didn't just buy a 3080 just to run games on high settings at 1080p like I did with my 1080 Ti. I know a 3080 is overkill for a 3080, but i'll upgrade the monitor later. I know a cpu bottleneck would look something like the cpu would be at 100% usage while the GPU is at 50% or something but that's not happening at all. CPU rarely ever hits even 70% on any game.

Not necessarily. 50% could just mean only 6 of the 12 threads are 100% utilized. Depending on the game, you may not fully utilize all the threads. In task manager, you can turn on per thread view in the CPU utilization. If you see threads being maxed out, that's your issue. You might need to run at a higher resolution to ease up the load on the CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

20 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Not necessarily. 50% could just mean only 6 of the 12 threads are 100% utilized. Depending on the game, you may not fully utilize all the threads. In task manager, you can turn on per thread view in the CPU utilization. If you see threads being maxed out, that's your issue. You might need to run at a higher resolution to ease up the load on the CPU.

Ok i just tested out one of the games where I had the stutter (Halo infinite) while using task manager like you said.I capped the fps to 144fps,  all 12 threads hovered at about 70% and none of them hit 90%-100% at any point including when the stuttering happened. GPU however was at about 80-99% almost the whole time but when the stutter happens the usage of the gpu dips to like 60% then right back up when the stutter ends. The CPU didn't have a dip in usage like that. 

One important thing i forgot to mention is that this stutter happens even in incredibly simple games like Hearthstone sometimes so I really don't a bottleneck has anything to do with it.

I would try and use some more detailed monitorinmg software. For one I would recommend looking at the Sensor from for example GPU-Z and especially have a look at the PerfCap Reason row to see what your GPU is doing and why the utilization drops. Also have look at the clocks and temperatures as it stuttersimage.png.6600494718ef8d9d6bb7e647d7c6e027.png

38 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

I would try and use some more detailed monitorinmg software. For one I would recommend looking at the Sensor from for example GPU-Z and especially have a look at the PerfCap Reason row to see what your GPU is doing and why the utilization drops. Also have look at the clocks and temperatures as it stuttersimage.png.6600494718ef8d9d6bb7e647d7c6e027.png

ok i installed gpuz like you said and when playing halo infinate with and without an fps cap and even in the menu I get a perfcap of "vrel" and the whole bar is basically blue. I set power management mode in Nvidia control panel to perfer maximum performance so the clocks stay at max, does that have something to do with it? What does verl mean? 

7 minutes ago, Ashino said:

ok i installed gpuz like you said and when playing halo infinate with and without an fps cap and even in the menu I get a perfcap of "vrel" and the whole bar is basically blue. What does that mean? 

Vrel should be Voltage Regulation and is telling me, that it is running at the last voltage that it seem safe to run and won't increase it any further. This from my end would rule out some stuff like your GPU hitting the Temperature or power limit which would more agressively lower the performance and cause some stutter. Would you mind posting a screenshot of the Sensors page of GPU-Z ? there might be some other interesting things to see in there.

Edit.

To make it clear. It showing VRel is good and to be expected from a working GPU

58 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

Vrel should be Voltage Regulation and is telling me, that it is running at the last voltage that it seem safe to run and won't increase it any further. This from my end would rule out some stuff like your GPU hitting the Temperature or power limit which would more agressively lower the performance and cause some stutter. Would you mind posting a screenshot of the Sensors page of GPU-Z ? there might be some other interesting things to see in there.

Edit.

To make it clear. It showing VRel is good and to be expected from a working GPU

ok Ignore that spike at the end of the graph, it was just because the match ended and I tabbed out to take the screenshot. The game I was playing was halo infinite maxed out with uncapped fps. Btw the fan speed is so high because I set an aggressive fancurve myself. I'm surprised to see the memory temp being so high though despite that...

Update: while playing the campaign on halo infinite, perfcap changed from "VRel" to VRel VOp "

158524649_Screenshotforgpuz.gif.38c9007619ee806c020c057e92fcfb05.gif

29 minutes ago, Ashino said:

ok Ignore that spike at the end of the graph, it was just because the match ended and I tabbed out to take the screenshot. The game I was playing was halo infinite maxed out with uncapped fps. Btw the fan speed is so high because I set an aggressive fancurve myself. I'm surprised to see the memory temp being so high though despite that...

From everything I can see in there,  it is working perfectly fine.

I just tried Halo Infinite out myself since i downloaded it and never got around to it and had 2 stutters myself during the match.

From the sensor reading I am seeing there, I would honestly completely rule out the GPU as the culprit. Given since the GPU is the only thing you upgraded, my only guess would be a software or driver issue. Do the same stutters still happen on low settings ?

2 hours ago, Dreckssackblase said:

From everything I can see in there,  it is working perfectly fine.

I just tried Halo Infinite out myself since i downloaded it and never got around to it and had 2 stutters myself during the match.

From the sensor reading I am seeing there, I would honestly completely rule out the GPU as the culprit. Given since the GPU is the only thing you upgraded, my only guess would be a software or driver issue. Do the same stutters still happen on low settings ?

I got a crash earlier playing red dead redemption 2 where the game froze and said something like ERR_GFX reboot and restart the game. I didn't have gpuz up at the time but i booted the game again after restarting and this is what gpuz looked like, are these memory temps normal?

1712629350_reddeadgpuzbecausecrash.gif.ef0ebea7af49eba9985727f2ceb5a79f.gif

32 minutes ago, Ashino said:

I got a crash earlier playing red dead redemption 2 where the game froze and said something like ERR_GFX reboot and restart the game. I didn't have gpuz up at the time but i booted the game again after restarting and this is what gpuz looked like, are these memory temps normal?

The v-core is too low for that boost frequency. Should be around 1.0820v. Also, that 1920mhz is over the factory rated speed for that card which should only boost to 1830mhz, again at 1.0820v.

Go to Nvidia control panel and set power from prefer maximum performance to Ultimate performance and see if that helps.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The v-core is too low for that boost frequency. Should be around 1.0820v. Also, that 1920mhz is over the factory rated speed for that card which should only boost to 1830mhz, again at 1.0820v.

Go to Nvidia control panel and set power from prefer maximum performance to Ultimate performance and see if that helps.

There is no ultimate performance option in my Nvidia control panel, only "normal" and "prefer maximum performance" 

Just now, Ashino said:

There is no ultimate performance option in my Nvidia control panel, only "normal" and "prefer maximum performance" 

And it's set to.......

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

And it's set to.......

Its currently set to "prefer maximum performance" but I'll switch it back to "normal" and see what happens.

Just now, Ashino said:

Its currently set to "prefer maximum performance" but I'll switch it back to "normal" and see what happens.

Check your winders power plans as well. 

Something is off though. It's probably something stupid like that. 

You could see if there's a new bios and flash the card also. This might help. 

Also, go over to TechPowerUpForums and start a thread if you need additional helps.

Well, I set the power management mode back to "normal" and tested RDR2 again. Got the same results with the same Vcore.

1 minute ago, Ashino said:

Well, I set the power management mode back to "normal" and tested RDR2 again. Got the same results with the same Vcore.

Head over to TechPowerUp forums. Specifically my friend the ExiledAirman will help if he's online and sees your post. You can always try the cats over at Guru3D also. 

From my searching having spent a half hour reading about your particular card to help find a solution, I've found nothing that sticks out. 

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Head over to TechPowerUp forums. Specifically my friend the ExiledAirman will help if he's online and sees your post. You can always try the cats over at Guru3D also. 

From my searching having spent a half hour reading about your particular card to help find a solution, I've found nothing that sticks out. 

alright, well are you sure the voltage is inadequate for this clock speed? It is weird that its boosting to higher clock than it should though, maybe it has something to do with my power supply? both the psu and the card are recent purchases.  

Just now, Ashino said:

alright, well are you sure the voltage is inadequate for this clock speed? It is weird that its boosting to higher clock than it should though, maybe it has something to do with my power supply? both the psu and the card are recent purchases.  

The PSU should be fine. 

Notice the 8 pin usage between 1 2 and 3. #1 has the most load. This is why I suggested a bios flash because it might help even that out. Bring #3 up and lower #1. 

Pretty sure the voltage is low. I know the Founders Edition uses 1.0820 at boost, 1.062 at default frequency. When boosting, the Gpu v-core should go up, not stay at defaults. 

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The PSU should be fine. 

Notice the 8 pin usage between 1 2 and 3. #1 has the most load. This is why I suggested a bios flash because it might help even that out. Bring #3 up and lower #1. 

Pretty sure the voltage is low. I know the Founders Edition uses 1.0820 at boost, 1.062 at default frequency. When boosting, the Gpu v-core should go up, not stay at defaults. 

My PSU is modular and the PCIe cables split into two 8pins and i'm using one PCIe cable for 2 of the 8 pin slots. You think it matters if I use 3 separate cables for each of the 3 8 pin slots? 

Just now, Ashino said:

My PSU is modular and the PCI cables split into 2, 8pins and i'm using one PCI cable for 2 of the 8 pin slots. You think it matters if I use 3 separate cables for each of the 3 8 pin slots? 

I think it's worth a shot using the appropriate PCIE connectors yes. However, I don't think it will change anything, but never know until you try something!