New GPU does loud electronic noise

Grabby

Is this a reason to get a refund on my card ? Its really obnoxious to me. Is it even my GPU ?

This sounds like a coil whine and a good one at that too. While in the old age of 10 series coil whine was rare and some aibs would offer a replacement.  In the 3000 series it's almost a must . It happens when u hammer gpu with a heavy load and high fps . Its totally normal and no Aib would offer a replacement to 3000 series coil whine to my knowledge and I do have a 3080ti that got coil whine too when I hammer it . Normally it's masked by the sound of fans of card or your audio 

But in the end your card sounds normal with a pleasant coil whine there are monstrosities out there

20 minutes ago, chaotic kronos said:

This sounds like a coil whine and a good one at that too. While in the old age of 10 series coil whine was rare and some aibs would offer a replacement.  In the 3000 series it's almost a must . It happens when u hammer gpu with a heavy load and high fps . Its totally normal and no Aib would offer a replacement to 3000 series coil whine to my knowledge and I do have a 3080ti that got coil whine too when I hammer it . Normally it's masked by the sound of fans of card or your audio 

But in the end your card sounds normal with a pleasant coil whine there are monstrosities out there

The thing is....im in the bios. Im not putting any load on my GPU 

2 hours ago, Grabby said:

The thing is....im in the bios. Im not putting any load on my GPU 

Are u sure it's the gpu . A quick way is to disconnect gpu and see if the noise stays

either as above or its kinda normal. vibration be damned. newer and higher end GPUs might have more of this issue.

you kinda have to deal with some noise, unless its very bad. and at times maybe one can isolate the noisy areas.

2 hours ago, chaotic kronos said:

Are u sure it's the gpu . A quick way is to disconnect gpu and see if the noise stays

Im pretty sure. But im going to try later. Also, my GPU gets pretty hot for only entering the bios. I dont have temps obv. But i can keep my hamd on the backplate for abt 5secons until it hurts

well since you're asking opinions,  i dont hear anything but fans ... therfore this is not coilwhine,  gpu coilwhine is typically far louder than fans, and far more obnoxious. 

check at 4:58 for some mild coilwhine 

and yes im not kidding,  this is mild compared to what my 3070 does at ~5000fps lmao

and yes, of course this is a defect,  especially should the card be advertised as "silent" because this isnt something thats unavoidable,  thats simply amateur hour pcb design. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

50 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well since you're asking opinions,  i dont hear anything but fans ... therfore this is not coilwhine,  gpu coilwhine is typically far louder than fans, and far more obnoxious. 

and yes im not kidding,  this is mild compared to what my 3070 does at ~5000fps lmao

and yes, of course this is a defect,  especially should the card be advertised as "silent" because this isnt something thats unavoidable,  thats simply amateur hour pcb design. 

Dude even asus x noctua 3070 got coil whine. Which is advertised as silent card with great thermals

55 minutes ago, Grabby said:

Im pretty sure. But im going to try later. Also, my GPU gets pretty hot for only entering the bios. I dont have temps obv. But i can keep my hamd on the backplate for abt 5secons until it hurts

Temp is normal almost all  of new gpus will keep fans off up to 60 c and thats is normal and yes your gpu heats up by just turning pc on  to the point that u can't hold it for more than 5 sec

On 12/6/2021 at 1:15 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Well, its definitely not the fans. And im not playing on 260fps or sum, in in the bios at 30fps lmao

On 12/6/2021 at 2:09 AM, chaotic kronos said:

Temp is normal almost all  of new gpus will keep fans off up to 60 c and thats is normal and yes your gpu heats up by just turning pc on  to the point that u can't hold it for more than 5 sec

Thanks, so then its fortunately normal

55 minutes ago, Grabby said:

Thanks, so then its fortunately normal

Yes . Chances is it would be the aio pump sound 

3 hours ago, Grabby said:

Well, its definitely not the fans. And im not playing on 260fps or sum, in in the bios at 30fps lmao

well i can only say i dont hear it, not saying there isnt anything, but gpu coilwhine typically sounds like in the video i posted and generally does not occur if the card isnt actually rendering frames (which it doesn’t in the bios , that will typically be 0 fps...)

ultimately hard to say , it could be something else other than the card as the behavior doesn't seem typical to me at all.

here's what my pc sounds like, for some reason phones seem to pick up the fan noise specifically,  it doesn't sound anyway near that loud irl... still my gpu loves to coilwhine but it obviously doesn't do it while idle.

Also something might be wrong with your cooling,  a GPU shouldn't get hot to touch doing basically nothing...

20211209_151646.thumb.jpg.87be41ff7f10fafd92936d82f5192ac0.jpg

As you can see the GPU fans aren't even running while idle and even watching videos etc, it doesn't above 40c, playing games it often stays between 50-60c, 64-65c max... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity