Pro tech tip for removing resonating noise from AIO

laslars

Hi!

Just wanted to let you guys know about this, as this has bothered me for quite a long time and I reckon I can't be alone.

My newly installed (top mounted Corsair H115i)  AIO was producing a very subtle (but VERY annoying) wind-ish resonating sound throughout the whole RPM spectrum, but mostly everytime there was a slight increase in RPM.

It was barely noticable but I am the kind of person who, once I hear this noise, I simply can't unhear it.

I finally came to the conclusion that the resonance had to lie inside the fans themselves, as snapping the middle of the fan with a finger would produce the same annoying frequency.

Turns out there was just enough space between the back side of the fans and the radiator fins (about 0.5mm) for the fan hub and the 4 "arms" to move freely and resonate.

My solution to this was removing the fans, putting a blob of hot glue in the center of the backside of each fan and reattatching them. This finally broke the resonance.

Hope this information might help someone who experiences the same issue!🙂

Just reattaching with those rubber plug thingies are an option too if the issue at hand is fans somehow getting into a particular resonance frequency and probably want to get in touch with the manufacture as well, it doesn't make any sense how that passed the testing phase.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

51 minutes ago, Sharif said:

Just reattaching with those rubber plug thingies are an option too if the issue at hand is fans somehow getting into a particular resonance frequency and probably want to get in touch with the manufacture as well, it doesn't make any sense how that passed the testing phase.

Corsair AIOs come without any rubber thingies or vibration dampeners at all (which might not even help, since the fans also resonate when not even mounted to the radiator).

Putting some rubber or something absorbant behind the fans, so the backsides are flush against something solid is the only thing that helps🙂

14 hours ago, laslars said:

Corsair AIOs come without any rubber thingies or vibration dampeners at all (which might not even help, since the fans also resonate when not even mounted to the radiator).

Putting some rubber or something absorbant behind the fans, so the backsides are flush against something solid is the only thing that helps🙂

I was having a bad day when I typed that, what annoyed me was corsair letting something like that to pass without coming up with a solution themselves

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M ||