Bottle Neck?

I’m running a Ryzen 7 3700x 8 cores 16 threads, a 3090 and 48 gigs of ram. I use the card for gaming and video editing but I am noticing issues when video editing. Buffer times are a huge issue. I work with 2k and 4k footage. Is the processor to blame? 

Hard to tell as you didn't give enough information. Where is your footage stored for example? How big are the video projects you are working on? What video editing software are you using? Etc. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

Depending on the actual workload, hard to tell.

Like @creesch said, we need a lot more info.

What EXACTLY is the thing you do that gives issues.

Is it rendering, seeking trough the video, applying an effect. etc.

Also storage can be a huuuge bottleneck, if its mechanical it most likely is on those resolutions.

Even if SSD it can be to slow.

I would highly suggest having task manager open during your next run, and just look and see what is actually being used most.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

9 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Storage is on an m.2 SSD. Not sure the read or write times off the top of my head. Video formatting is .mp4 with the file size being about 5gb. Footage is in 4K usually. The main issue is seeking through the video in the software. The software is Movai Studio. I use OBS for recording.

1 hour ago, creesch said:

Hard to tell as you didn't give enough information. Where is your footage stored for example? How big are the video projects you are working on? What video editing software are you using? Etc. 

Storage is on an m.2 SSD. Not sure the read or write times off the top of my head. Video formatting is .mp4 with the file size being about 5gb. Footage is in 4K usually. The main issue is seeking through the video in the software. The software is Movai Studio. I use OBS for recording.