Crash to Black-Screen under load, after upgrade 3800x to 5900x

grille

Hi
My PC ran fine for ~1.5 years, now i upgraded from an 3800x to an 5900x, at first everything seemed fine.

but when the cpu is loaded, after a few minutes it tends to crash to a blackscreen, and the CPU-LED on the mainboard lights up.

The computer stays in that state until i press the reset button...

With Prime95 i can reproduce the problem in ~5minutes...

Windows Log sadly don't say much except "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first."

Things I tried:

- disabling XMP profile

- updating BIOS and B450 Drivers

- making sure everything is connected

Specs:

Win10-pro 64bit

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (BIOS 09/27/2021, latest)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

RAM: 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16-18-18-38

GPU: GTX 1080 TI

SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 1 TB SSD M.2 via NVMe

PSU: 700 Watt be quiet! System Power 9 CM Modular 80+ Bronze

Hope someone here has an idea...

Or is it likely an defect with the cpu and i should RMA it?

It’s acting like a memory problem, but it sounds like it started the same time you opened your machine and changed out your cpu which opens a bunch of other possibilities too.  Doing a memory integrity test would be one.  I suspect it will come up clean, but it’s due diligence. Maybe a memory problem ON the new cpu? It has memory too.  Seems unlikely. It’s not blue screening but hard crashing which makes looking at log files hard.  Are you using the same cooler as you did for your other chip?  That new cpu makes more heat.  Could be a heat issue, so checking temps might be useful. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

thanks for the replay

I did run memtest86 over night, no errors...

I have a new cooler for the processor a "be quiet! Dark Rock 4", but it doesn't seem to be 100% sufficient.

The temperature reaches 90 ° relatively quickly, but the procesor then does what it should and throttle the frequency a bit and then remains quite stable at ~80°

Something else interesting i noticed, "ryzen master" seems to speed up the crash rate considerably.
Prime95 for example runs fine, but when i open "ryzen master" it crashes in a few minutes, even if I only do so to check temperatures....
And of course until now, i have had ryzen master open for all tests so far to check the values... xD

Sadly is just don't open ryzen master not the solution...

Even if it is less common, sometimes I still get a crash, yesterday i had a crash after playing doom for 3 hours...

Which actually shouldn't stress the cpu that much???

I did a sensor log with HWINFO, unfortunately I can't really identify anything there...
Maybe if one of you has the patience and time he can read something out there?

log1.CSV

16 minutes ago, grille said:

thanks for the replay

I did run memtest86 over night, no errors...

I have a new cooler for the processor a "be quiet! Dark Rock 4", but it doesn't seem to be 100% sufficient.

The temperature reaches 90 ° relatively quickly, but the procesor then does what it should and throttle the frequency a bit and then remains quite stable at ~80°

Something else interesting i noticed, "ryzen master" seems to speed up the crash rate considerably.
Prime95 for example runs fine, but when i open "ryzen master" it crashes in a few minutes, even if I only do so to check temperatures....
And of course until now, i have had ryzen master open for all tests so far to check the values... xD

Sadly is just don't open ryzen master not the solution...

Even if it is less common, sometimes I still get a crash, yesterday i had a crash after playing doom for 3 hours...

Which actually shouldn't stress the cpu that much???

I did a sensor log with HWINFO, unfortunately I can't really identify anything there...
Maybe if one of you has the patience and time he can read something out there?

log1.CSV 973.56 kB · 1 download

Oh wow.  Even ludicrous graphs are better than that.  That’s spreadsheet data. I can’t do much with that. 

I assumed this was done already, but just to check is the bios updated?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, grille said:

yea bios is updatet

btw with that:
https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/logviewer-for-hwinfo-is-available.802/
you can actualy read the thing xD

I tried and failed.  I didn’t know about that “genericlogviewer” thing though. In any event I doubt I could use it with a screenshot.  The min, max, and average would be the useful bits, and even then just for heat levels and cpu percentage use.   If there is something odd in one of those perhaps further scrutiny would be useful. 

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

In any event I doubt I could use it with a screenshot.  The min, max, and average would be the useful bits. 

What do you mean with this, you want a screenshot with min, max, average of core temp oder something?

1 minute ago, grille said:

What do you mean with this, you want a screenshot with min, max, average of core temp oder something?

No.  I was saying even if I downloaded this app you mention I doubt I could input the data you sent as it looks like it’s a raster file on my end.  Could be wrong about that I suppose. 

ah ^^

I alredy testet the app, it works fine with the log file.

I think it was even specially developed for this format.

13 minutes ago, grille said:

ah ^^

I alredy testet the app, it works fine with the log file.

I think it was even specially developed for this format.

Cool. You may get what you need then.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, small update:
I RMA'd the thing and the new one runs fine, also was it a faulty cpu.

32 minutes ago, grille said:

Hi, small update:
I RMA'd the thing and the new one runs fine, also was it a faulty cpu.

Interesting.  Bad CPUs are extremely rare.  They get tested before they leave the factory generally, so it would have been good when it left the factory then gone bad.  Just doesn’t hapen very often.

I had spoken too soon...

Everything was good for ~1 hour, now i have the same problems again ...

My favorite test is blender-cycles by now, the PC crashes in seconds...
Prime95 runs stable as long i dont open ryzen-master additionally.

That pc is really picky at how it want to crash.. xD

How likely do you think it's an problem with the motherboard?
I researched a little bit and a lot of "the blackscren-crash and cpu led lighten up problems" seems to have to do with an msi b450-max...

Is it possible that MSI messed up ther zen3 compatibility update or something???
Or since it worked for some time could it be that, the vrms overheat after some time?

I might want to check temps and fan occlusions (the 5900 is not a cool chip) and try a clean reinstall before I start firing the parts cannon, but I’m nearly out of ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I did buy a new motherboard (an ASRock B550 Extreme4)
Now everything runs fine for a week+ ^^

I guess it could be that the VRM's of the "MSI B450 Tomahawk Max" were maybe to week for the 5900X...
Im not sure...

53 minutes ago, grille said:

So, I did buy a new motherboard (an ASRock B550 Extreme4)
Now everything runs fine for a week+ ^^

I guess it could be that the VRM's of the "MSI B450 Tomahawk Max" were maybe to week for the 5900X...
Im not sure...

It would be surprising but perhaps not impossible. The board is old enough to for it to be on the motherboard tier list pinned in the motherboards section.  Such would be checkable there.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am getting the exact same issue, when playing Red Dead Redemption 2 I can't even play for more than 30 seconds and I get a black screen on my monitor and peripherals but PC stays on with all fans and there is a red light on the CPU indicator within the motherboard after this occurs. This also happens in different games as well but occurs randomly. Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only game where it happens straight away without me even being able to properly play it. I am using the following specs: 

Specs:

Win11-pro 64bit

MSI X470 Gaming Plus

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x

RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 

GPU: RTX TUF 3080OC

SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB SSD M.2

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850W 

Has changing the motherboard fully fixed the issue for you? I am thinking of getting a B550 motherboard to fix this.

2 hours ago, yush29 said:

Hi, I am getting the exact same issue, when playing Red Dead Redemption 2 I can't even play for more than 30 seconds and I get a black screen on my monitor and peripherals but PC stays on with all fans and there is a red light on the CPU indicator within the motherboard after this occurs. This also happens in different games as well but occurs randomly. Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only game where it happens straight away without me even being able to properly play it. I am using the following specs: 

Specs:

Win11-pro 64bit

MSI X470 Gaming Plus

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x

RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 

GPU: RTX TUF 3080OC

SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB SSD M.2

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850W 

Has changing the motherboard fully fixed the issue for you? I am thinking of getting a B550 motherboard to fix this.

You’ve got some of the hottest running most power hungry parts that it is possible to put in an AMD gaming machine.  I would want to see what the temps are.  A 5950 is a bigger chip than existed when x470 came out.  AM4 has been around a long time.  I don’t know what the VRM is for that motherboard.  We don’t even know if the VRM was what was causing the problem for sure. There’s a lot of stuff on a motherboard.  It’s not impossible.  There is also an argument for swapping out that motherboard anyway, just on general principal, but with that many hot parts I would want to check temps first.  It might not help. There are a bunch of em that could be relevant.  Could even be you don’t have enough PSU for example.  The 3080 is famous for being spikey and tripping overpower switches on PSUs that should be big enough.

Edited by Bombastinator

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You’ve got some of the hottest running most power hungry parts that it is possible to put in an AMD gaming machine.  I would want to see what the temps are.  A 5950 is a bigger chip than existed when x470 came out.  AM4 has been around a long time.  I don’t know what the VRM is for that motherboard.  We don’t even know if the VRM was what was causing the problem for sure. There’s a lot of stuff on a motherboard.  It’s not impossible.  There is also an argument for swapping out that motherboard anyway, just on general principal, but with that many hot parts I would want to check temps first.  It might not help. There are a bunch of em that could be relevant.  Could even be you don’t have enough PSU for example.  The 3080 is famous for being spikey and tripping overpower switches on PSUs that should be big enough.

Temps were fine to my knowledge and to others that I have asked that know a lot more than me, here is a screenshot of Red Dead Redemption 2 that I played yesterday, shortly after it shut down. https://ibb.co/V2d7bZW I found that disabling Core Precision Boost and Precision Boost Overdrive fixed the problem with my cpu running at stock 3.4Ghz. This is a good temporary fix but I don't want to be using this permanently as I am missing out on 1.0+Ghz from this. Is it possible that the motherboard can't handle the boosts and a new one is needed? I am looking at the motherboard vrm tier list and want to pick out on of the tier S- list ones.

It’s real possible.  You apparently already know where to look so I’ve got little to offer