Is my HDD about to crash ?

EyeInTheTriangle

I just claimed warranty and replaced my laptop's HDD as the previous one stopped working.  Now my laptop has the new HDD but it has started to make sounds sometimes like a couple of clicking sounds and then it stops. I've not noticed any hit in performance and file transfers happen as expected but when ever my laptop's HDD makes clicking noises it gives me anxiety. I've also run crystal disk info but i don't know how to interpret the results.  This is what i got after running it. can someone interpret it for me ?

718339924_Screenshot(4).png.f3c62a1301d050c7269c2e89c3a96ded.png

This is probably the Seagate "chirp" that their modern drives make.  Its really disconcerting at first as it does sound a lot like the bad drive click, but its perfectly normal.

I was concerned at first with my NAS drives but as I added more, every single Seagate drive does it, so I realised it was normal.  Especially as it happens like clockwork as described in the thread above..

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 12/4/2021 at 9:48 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

This is probably the Seagate "chirp" that their modern drives make.  Its really disconcerting at first as it does sound a lot like the bad drive click, but its perfectly normal.

I was concerned at first with my NAS drives but as I added more, every single Seagate drive does it, so I realised it was normal.  Especially as it happens like clockwork as described in the thread above..

sorry for the late reply, i was concerned because the previous drive was also segate but it never made a sound and then crashed out of the blue.

15 hours ago, EyeInTheTriangle said:

sorry for the late reply, i was concerned because the previous drive was also segate but it never made a sound and then crashed out of the blue.

Its more expensive, but I avoid HDDs in laptops these days as they're more likely to get knocked around.  Although all drives fail eventually obviously and you're probably less likely to get advanced warning from an SSD.  (cant really confirm, not had a modern one fail only early models that had firmware issues)

It helps that every now and again Amazon do monthly payments on large 2.5" SSDs rather than having to buy them outright.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 12/7/2021 at 10:11 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its more expensive, but I avoid HDDs in laptops these days as they're more likely to get knocked around.  Although all drives fail eventually obviously and you're probably less likely to get advanced warning from an SSD.  (cant really confirm, not had a modern one fail only early models that had firmware issues)

It helps that every now and again Amazon do monthly payments on large 2.5" SSDs rather than having to buy them outright.

I prefer to use HDD because i don't mind the slow load times and the low cost of HDDs allows me to get a device with better specs, in the current case i was able to get gtx1650 laptop instead of laptop with integrated GPU and SSD. I've replaced a lot of Segate Drives in the past (arround 4 in the past 5 years)  every single one of the failed within 1-2 years. I've never had such issues with WD Blue drives(my old drive is still going strong after 3 years of tough usage). Can you explain how to interpret the data that i posted above ? Thanks in Advance!

On 12/9/2021 at 2:45 AM, EyeInTheTriangle said:

I prefer to use HDD because i don't mind the slow load times and the low cost of HDDs allows me to get a device with better specs, in the current case i was able to get gtx1650 laptop instead of laptop with integrated GPU and SSD. I've replaced a lot of Segate Drives in the past (arround 4 in the past 5 years)  every single one of the failed within 1-2 years. I've never had such issues with WD Blue drives(my old drive is still going strong after 3 years of tough usage). Can you explain how to interpret the data that i posted above ? Thanks in Advance!

Both my laptops came with HDDs for bulk storage (SSD for boot), both I upgraded to SSDs almost immediately and doubled the RAM.  Its just one less thing to worry about every time you accidentally put it down too hard or knock it while running.

I have so many 2.5" HDDs all over the place of various brands, none have failed because they're not knocking around in a laptop. 😉  Not surprised if Seagate are a bit more sensitive though, they tend to be faster than WD in my experience.

Every vendor uses the SMART attributes differently so there is no simple way to interpret them.  Particularly ignore the error fields, they're not intended for reading by mere mortals so can cause alarm due to misinterpretation.