LEFT SPEAKER CRACKING DURING BASS

I have an old SONY MHC-GNZ77D from 2006 i guess....It used to give phenomenal audio...enough bass to shake the house when V-GROOVE is enabled....We recently did not use the set for an year as we got a new TV which had good speakers and now while i tried to use it again a weird cracking sound (something like electric cracking noises and the classic cracks mixed) comes from the left speaker of the set during deep bass like "THE PLAN" from tenet...that kind of bass...it was able to handle much deeper bass before (the speakers become an air conditioner with the amount of bass)

I connect the old stereo to my laptop via an AUX to Analog cable (the while red cables)

I tried

• Changing the aux cable (a new cable)
  • changing the device (used an ipad,a phone)
  • changing the output (swapping the left and right speaker's wire at the back)
  • clean the speaker wire socket with a microfibre cloth

image.png.7f58c88a6a01faa5158000a28fb86a7e.png

this is how the speaker output wire looks

THE SPEAKER WIRES CANNOT BE CHANGED BY ME....IT IS FIXED INSIDE THE SPEAKER

Disabling V-GROOVE to GROOVE seems to help with the crackling noise...but doing this reduces the bass of the audio

Any help would be appreciated before I take it to the shop (the shop is about 10 miles away from my house and would take around 1.5 hours to reach there)

8 minutes ago, rrats said:

Check if speaker part of speakers still work nicely

how should i do that?

the speaker does not have any kind of screws to open it up...its sealed

Does the crackle follow the speaker when swapped? If not, it is in the main, if it does, you might have wear like a torn speaker cone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, Broski said:

Does the crackle follow the speaker when swapped? If not, it is in the main, if it does, you might have wear like a torn speaker cone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yea...the crackling is only there in the left speaker

torn speaker cone...so is there any method i can fix this myself or...to the shop i go?

There is rubber adhesive that can be used on most cones and is easy enough to do, but not on paper cones. I didn't see details on the cones in the manual for your stereo, but if it is a plastic type, it might be a $5 fix. Just be sure to really clean around it before you apply and make it cover a large area for better hold. 

Edited by Broski
Typo

1 hour ago, Broski said:

There is rubber adhesive that can be used on most cones and is easy enough to do, but not on paper cones. I didn't see details on the cones in the manual for your stereo, but if it is a plastic type, it might be a $5 fix. Just be sure to really clean around it before you apply and make it cover a large area for better hold. 

the issue is that i cannot open up the speakers....they are like sealed from all around and i dont want to break it in anyway.....but maybe ill try opening it up....if i feel like i am gonna break it ill just take it to the shop then...

do you use discord...so that i can quickly contact you?

1 hour ago, Broski said:

image.thumb.png.45e75fabbacb486d3ddda8450d7c6a4f.png

this is the pic of the magent inside...this is taken from a video where the person replaces the wire

image.png.3e8c9a8052636e5270f7b643fa56ec13.png

image.png.eb73dcb73b1d055038b9d2300564b808.png

I have no clue on what exactly are you talking about here....i am a complete noob when it comes to speakers

this is the video incase it helps in anyway

t

This is the kind of repair I was referring to,

but if it is a connection issue you have to open it to get to it, perhaps the shop is the way if you arent wanting to deal with disassembly or reassembly.

12 hours ago, Broski said:

but if it is a connection issue you have to open it to get to it, perhaps the shop is the way if you arent wanting to deal with disassembly or reassembly.

oh....there is not visible damage on the cone...it looks fine on the cone except for some dust....maybe it could be hidden in the dust...ill give it to the shop anyways

Now that you can see the cone, please tap on the cone (not that hard, so you dont damage it, but hard enough, you actually move it and preferrably not in the soft middle, but close to it) and hear the result. If you hear just the noise of your finger hitting the cone, everything is fine, if you hear something else, that sounds like a loose wire, then you have a loose voice coil. This usually happens, when the voice coil got too warm because you cranked everything up too much and too long, but sometimes the glue holding the windings failed because of other reasons.

You can also try pressing the cone slowly in with at least three fingers (not too much, but at least 2..3mm should be no problem with any woofer). Try to keep it centered. If you hear a scratching noise every time, it either wasnt centered enough or you have a problem with a voice coil. Both problems mean you basically need a new woofer, because i dont think there are reconing sets for those.

If you dont get these scratching noises you might be lucky and only have a problem with the wire that delivers the signal to the voice coil or even better, just a solder joint somewhere.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:53 AM, Heats with Nvidia said:

Now that you can see the cone, please tap on the cone (not that hard, so you dont damage it, but hard enough, you actually move it and preferrably not in the soft middle, but close to it) and hear the result. If you hear just the noise of your finger hitting the cone, everything is fine, if you hear something else, that sounds like a loose wire, then you have a loose voice coil. This usually happens, when the voice coil got too warm because you cranked everything up too much and too long, but sometimes the glue holding the windings failed because of other reasons.

You can also try pressing the cone slowly in with at least three fingers (not too much, but at least 2..3mm should be no problem with any woofer). Try to keep it centered. If you hear a scratching noise every time, it either wasnt centered enough or you have a problem with a voice coil. Both problems mean you basically need a new woofer, because i dont think there are reconing sets for those.

If you dont get these scratching noises you might be lucky and only have a problem with the wire that delivers the signal to the voice coil or even better, just a solder joint somewhere.

On 12/3/2021 at 4:39 AM, Broski said:

I gave it to the shop....the technician told that there is an issue with the Sound PCB in the amplifier (the main set) which gave the speakers wrong amount of power there by causing the noise....he told that the speakers are in good condition and recommended to either get an amplifier for the speakers or stop using it to prevent further damage to the speakers

He told that the spark noises are caused due to the coil overheating due to bad power flow (atleast thats what he told)

I'll try checking with 3rd party technicians too to be sure....and maybe update if you guys want?

I am not sure how true is this statement from him is but this is what he told...He told that the newer speakers (latest models) are not as good as the old ones in terms of quality...he told that the old ones are extremely good and last too long....I can confirm the fact that the old speakers are too good(have a MHC from sony bought in 2000 and still works like its brand new...except for the buttons on the set)...but not sure about the new ones tho...

On 12/4/2021 at 6:53 AM, Heats with Nvidia said:

the issue is that the woofer is not exposed and is protected by a magnetically shielded grill....opening it is a big headache for newbies like me

even tho my other MHCs have the woofers exposed...this one does not....i anyways used this method to check other MHCs incase if the speakers are good...and good news all are good!! 🙂