Advice on buying first smartphone

tudobls

Hey guys this is my first topic on this forum!

I'd like some advice on buying a smartphone. 

Thanks a lot!

Going with Android will allow you to be more flexible, not as limited like iOS. There are lots of possibilities made possible by the many apps, roms, mods, etc contributed by the large community.

Go to your store/providers and play with some of the phones and see which OS you like the most.

Look and ask about build quality.

stay to the bigger phones, 

Android: htc one, s4

Windows phone: the htc linus tried i cant remeber the name

iOS:iphone 5 or 5s

there ya go. also make sure it is comfortable for your hands

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Do NOT buy a HTC.

Shittiest support I ever saw.

Htc one or go home ;P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Definitely go to a store and give all the phones a try to get a feel of what you like in terms of button layout and user interface. Then look into the features of each phone, check out which ones would integrate better in your life. Then look at the build material.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

If you want ios you don't have many options so i am going to talk about android phones.

HTC One if you want build quality and a nice camera

Galaxy S4 if you want a nice software and features

Galaxy Note 2 if you want big screen and s pen

Nexus 4 if you want quick android updates and build is nice too.

bottom line figure out what you need and try some phones and pick the one that suits you because phones are a personal thing. :)

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

Do NOT buy a HTC.

Shittiest support I ever saw.

So true. They really screwed us Desire HD owners by not providing updates to newer versions of Android. I do love my phone for the most part and I will keep it for at least a third year even though I got it on a two year contract, but I'm sure that many who got the HTC One on a two or even a three year contract will be glad when that time is over. Wouldn't be as bad, if they could swap out the battery after a year or so, since the HTC phones generally get good support from XDA.

Thing is, I really, really like HTC's phones the best and remember the days when Samsung used it's consumers as guinea pigs more blatantly. I could even live without official support as long as XDA is to the rescue, but the fact that I can not open their newer phones and replace the battery after about 500 cycles is deal breaker for me. It would'nt even have to be an easily removable plastic back. A flush fitting piece of metal on the bottom edge of the phone that's held in place by 2 little screws or maybe a hidden hinge and one single screw is all I'm asking for.  :( 

Anyway...

I said it before but I will say it again: Imo, specs aren't really the most important thing anymore when chosing an Android phone. Vanilla JellyBean or CM 10.1 based roms will run smooth even on slightly older hardware as long as you're not using too many widgets. The only thing that really requires a multi core cpu is taking photo sphere pictures and that's something i personally can live without. What worries me the most is the battery life, since many phones these days are secretly designed to be disposable items. Expensive disposable items.

If you decide to go with an Android phone then I would suggest to have a look at the XDA Developers forums and see which phones can be easily rooted and have good support. If you're not getting a nexus phone (which get support from google directly), then you won't have to wait forever just to get updates to the latest releases of Android.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.