Upgrading Parents Old Pc

Budget (including currency): Less than $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Quickbooks, Microsoft Office, and Chrome

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): This will be a Christmas present, They have a 1080p 60hz monitor, they are upgrading from a AMD Athlon II X3 455 with a GeForce 710

So the story behind this build is there pc is basically unusable and there wanting a upgrade. I built this list and thought I check with people much smarter about this stuff than I am.  They have an existing graphics card the GeForce 710 and due to graphics card prices right now.  I thought that because they do no gaming it would be fine to stick with that card because the processer I picked out has no integrated GPU.  Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated thank you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y6HkCz

For 290$ might as well get a 5600x.

If you do get a 5600x I would get a board that up to date for that cpu (BIOS)

Everything else looks fine but I'm sure you could nit pick at it a little more.

do you really need all that power?

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Absolute overkill for a daily use system.

Consider that right now just running a crap ton of browser tabs and playing 1080p media works fine on basically anything haswell Pentium or newer provided there’s an SSD involved.

I would be looking at something like an i3 10100 w/igpu and buildin some tiny mini itx thing rather than a proper atx tower for zero reason.

Take your head out of the enthusiast space for a second. Disable all but two of your cpu cores, and see how much you can still do with zero slow downs. 
There’s a reason chromebooks are popular.

46 minutes ago, Andy123S said:

Budget (including currency): Less than $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Quickbooks, Microsoft Office, and Chrome

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): This will be a Christmas present, They have a 1080p 60hz monitor, they are upgrading from a AMD Athlon II X3 455 with a GeForce 710

So the story behind this build is there pc is basically unusable and there wanting a upgrade. I built this list and thought I check with people much smarter about this stuff than I am.  They have an existing graphics card the GeForce 710 and due to graphics card prices right now.  I thought that because they do no gaming it would be fine to stick with that card because the processer I picked out has no integrated GPU.  Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated thank you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y6HkCz

seems a bit overkill in honesty, you should probably just get a better monitor like 1440p

could you make a PCpartpicker of their current PC?

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

9 minutes ago, yesyes said:

could you make a PCpartpicker of their current PC?

It’s an Athlon II X3 and a GT 710, I fail to see any reason to need to know what the motherboard or psu or anything is, it’s slightly better than late core2duos

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

It’s an Athlon II X3 and a GT 710, I fail to see any reason to need to know what the motherboard or psu or anything is, it’s slightly better than late core2duos

I guess if it's over 10 years old then there's no real part worth saving anyway, give me a minute

8 minutes ago, 8tg said:

btw I'm known as the "alder guy," so before I spend 20 minutes compensating and considering, do you need to use AMD, or are you fine using Intel for slightly better performance

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($91.75 @ Amazon) you won't need anything more than this for office and chrome.
Motherboard: ASRock H570M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($49.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) probably won't need more fans since everything won't generate much heat anyway.
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) much better PSU.
Total: $411.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-01 10:18 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($269.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($28.49 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($66.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card  ($200.00) 
Case: Cougar MX340 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($9.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1014.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-01 10:59 EST-0500

2 minutes ago, yesyes said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($269.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card  ($200.00) 

an office PC doesn't need a 12600K or a 1050ti...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

an office PC doesn't need a 12600K or a 1050ti...

said budget was $1k ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 minutes ago, yesyes said:

said budget was $1k ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That doesn't mean he should burn money away for things that don't make it run any better for what his parents are doing...

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

That doesn't mean he should burn money away for things that don't make it run any better for what his parents are doing...

if his parents are doing no more than web browsing he should probably not upgrade at all, lol

Thanks for all the the suggestions much appreciated.