What to choose a smaller OLED TV or a larger LED TV?

Kanap

Hi,

I need a new TV for my living room. After a long research I need to make the final decision between the A84J 65"(OLED) or the X94J 75" (LED, Full Array).

Their prices are very similar, I would choose OLED if it wasn't for the large viewing distance of 3.8m (12.5ft) and the risk of burnout.

For a long time I didn't have a TV so I don't know what is more important in this situation, image quality or size?

Lol, "small" at 65"

I will vote for OLED every time. Even the best fully array LED backlight doesn't come close in my opinion to OLED for contrast and "pop", especially HDR content.

Burn-in is also not as much of an issue as people like to make it out to be. Possible, yes, but unless you are watching the same news channel all day every day it's not going to matter. If you watch any sort of varied content it will not be a perceptible issue.

Since I used to cast a LOT of Youtube videos from my phone to my Chromecast I have a very faint burn-in of the Youtube logo in the bottom left from the "home" casting screen once a video was done playing. After 4 years the 5-10 minutes it would sit on that screen before auto powering off was enough for it to show up, but I can ONLY ever see it on solid red colors that overlap the lower left corner. That means for all intents and purposes it does not show up in regular content.

So, as long as you are semi-aware of static images you will never have an issue. That slight inconvenience is well worth the image quality IMO.

I have a 65" LG OLED for reference.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

size depends more on how far you sit away from it and stuff. mostly not needed to be too big.

50-55" should be fine for most, unless you sit a bit further back.

rant

Spoiler

OLED has most things better for it, but then there is burn-in. depends on how you value money over visuals. some you might not notice.

for LCD/LED it can be more complicated, is it a mini-LED TV with filters (like Q, from samsung or Nano, from LG)? for the best "likeness" to an OLED TV? although they do a better job with HDR content, but could be even more expensive but less risks? although some drawbacks.

use OLED if you want for the rich colors and deep blacks, but not quite the same in other aspects for HDR or gaming.

future micro-LED and other stuff. not here yet for consumers?

39 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Lol, "small" at 65"

I will vote for OLED every time. Even the best fully array LED backlight doesn't come close in my opinion to OLED for contrast and "pop", especially HDR content.

Burn-in is also not as much of an issue as people like to make it out to be. Possible, yes, but unless you are watching the same news channel all day every day it's not going to matter. If you watch any sort of varied content it will not be a perceptible issue.

Since I used to cast a LOT of Youtube videos from my phone to my Chromecast I have a very faint burn-in of the Youtube logo in the bottom left from the "home" casting screen once a video was done playing. After 4 years the 5-10 minutes it would sit on that screen before auto powering off was enough for it to show up, but I can ONLY ever see it on solid red colors that overlap the lower left corner. That means for all intents and purposes it does not show up in regular content.

So, as long as you are semi-aware of static images you will never have an issue. That slight inconvenience is well worth the image quality IMO.

I have a 65" LG OLED for reference.

I personally do not watch TV but youtube & streaming services. However, members of my family will probably watch TV and unfortunately most channels in my country still have static opaque logos or an age restriction stamp. Would it be possible for these elements to burn in if they were watching similar channels every day? And if I can ask, how far from the TV are you sitting?

12 minutes ago, Kanap said:

I personally do not watch TV but youtube & streaming services. However, members of my family will probably watch TV and unfortunately most channels in my country still have static opaque logos or an age restriction stamp. Would it be possible for these elements to burn in if they were watching similar channels every day? And if I can ask, how far from the TV are you sitting?

Here's some great reading if you're still worried.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

I sit 11 feet from my TV.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15