System fails to POST after CPU, MOBO, and DRAM upgrade

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Z690 (DDR5)

DRAM: 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 (DDR5, 6000, 36-36-36-76)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090

PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Upgraded from i7-7700K so needed new mobo and was lucky enough to snag some DDR5.  Got system all back together and I'm receiving several debug codes.  All appear to be memory related (C2, C4, 28, 54, C1, in sequence).  After cycling through the codes a couple of times, it stops on 31 (which is supposedly a code indicating memory initialization), and then the system restarts and repeats the process.

Steps I've taken so far:

1. Made sure DRAM was seated properly.

2. Switched DIMMs.

3. Tried booting with just one stick.

4. Cleared CMOS, (3 times: with the onboard button, removing battery, and the traditional shorting methods).

5. Flash BIOS using Gigabyte's Q-Flash.  I'm pretty sure this didn't work correctly.  It's supposed to be able to flash the BIOS without actually booting the system.

Looking for any kind of help.  The mobo memory support list technically doesn't list this specific DRAM as supported, but it supports other 6000 DRAM and other G. Skill sticks.  The support list is just a reference anyway, not exhaustive.

Appreciate you guys in advance.

54 is the code that stands out = memory initialization errors.

31 just means the memory is installed (correctly)

I would put the little diag speaker on the FP header (or it's a stand alone 4 pin says spkr printed on the board, or read the manual for proper location) and see if you get proper error beeps. 

You can use the list in my signature, there's a drop down to a post with beep codes. You want to look up the AMI beep codes for this board.

the speaker looks like this. Should have came with your case, look in the little baggy.

61UH0nbXRBL._SL1500_.jpg.d2caf41bd01f2ba631e3c63187295cd3.jpg

34 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

54 is the code that stands out = memory initialization errors.

31 just means the memory is installed (correctly)

I would put the little diag speaker on the FP header (or it's a stand alone 4 pin says spkr printed on the board, or read the manual for proper location) and see if you get proper error beeps. 

You can use the list in my signature, there's a drop down to a post with beep codes. You want to look up the AMI beep codes for this board.

the speaker looks like this. Should have came with your case, look in the little baggy.

61UH0nbXRBL._SL1500_.jpg.d2caf41bd01f2ba631e3c63187295cd3.jpg

Looked through all the stuff that came with the new board and no luck.  Doesn't look like I got one with my old mobo either.  I'll pick one up.  Am I listening for multiple beeps?  If so, what would next steps be?

1 minute ago, AmazingCincy said:

Looked through all the stuff that came with the new board and no luck.  Doesn't look like I got one with my old mobo either.  I'll pick one up.  Am I listening for multiple beeps?  If so, what would next steps be?

The speaker comes with the case, not the board.

Here's the beep codes you'll listen for. 

1 short DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
3 short Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory
5 short Processor error The system CPU has failed
6 short Gate A20 failure The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller
7 short Virtual mode processor exception error The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry
8 short Display memory read/write error The system video adapter is missing or defective
9 short ROM checksum error The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced
10 short CMOS shutdown register read/write error The shutdown for the CMOS has failed
11 short Cache error The L2 cache is faulty
1 long, 2 short Failure in video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
1 long, 8 short Display test failure The video adapter is either missing or defective
2 short POST Failure One of the hardware testa have failed
1 long POST has passed all tests

On 11/30/2021 at 9:23 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

The speaker comes with the case, not the board.

Here's the beep codes you'll listen for. 

1 short DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
3 short Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory
5 short Processor error The system CPU has failed
6 short Gate A20 failure The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller
7 short Virtual mode processor exception error The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry
8 short Display memory read/write error The system video adapter is missing or defective
9 short ROM checksum error The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced
10 short CMOS shutdown register read/write error The shutdown for the CMOS has failed
11 short Cache error The L2 cache is faulty
1 long, 2 short Failure in video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
1 long, 8 short Display test failure The video adapter is either missing or defective
2 short POST Failure One of the hardware testa have failed
1 long POST has passed all tests

To my ear, it sounds like 5 long beeps.  According to more than a few folks around different forums and youtube, it is a general error code for Gigabyte mobos.  I'm assuming that the ram is just not compatible with the motherboard.  I've taken every other step that I can think of to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, AmazingCincy said:

To my ear, it sounds like 5 long beeps.  According to more than a few folks around different forums and youtube, it is a general error code for Gigabyte mobos.  I'm assuming that the ram is just not compatible with the motherboard.  I've taken every other step that I can think of to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your help.

One way to test, pull the sticks, listen for beeps again. It should be distinctive difference. But this will eliminate a memory error, the beeps will mean it's not installed and listen to additional beeps.

5 short is a cpu error, not memory. The long beep is about 2 seconds long. The short beep less than a second long. Roughly. You'll be able to tell the difference once you've heard the difference. 

Just to play it safe and confirm your assumption, try the above.

Good luck!

49 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

One way to test, pull the sticks, listen for beeps again. It should be distinctive difference. But this will eliminate a memory error, the beeps will mean it's not installed and listen to additional beeps.

5 short is a cpu error, not memory. The long beep is about 2 seconds long. The short beep less than a second long. Roughly. You'll be able to tell the difference once you've heard the difference. 

Just to play it safe and confirm your assumption, try the above.

Good luck!

Ok, removed RAM and still got the 5 long beeps (definitely closer to 2 seconds than to 1), although there were fewer LED codes this time.  Just C2 and C4.  When the buzzer beeps, the LED display shows C1.

This board also has a panel of 4 small red LED's that supposedly indicate errors in components.  The top left is CPU, the top right is memory, the bottom left is VGA, and I think the bottom right is Other.  The lights consistently illuminate briefly on the cpu light, then switch to the memory light until the codes cycle through and repeat.

So I removed the AIO and re-sat the CPU.  Checked for bent pins and anything that might be physically wrong with the socket, nothing obvious to me.

Still getting the 5 beep error.  Since I'm using all new parts, I need to narrow down the issue to avoid RMAing three different parts.

I know the CPU is compatible, so it has to be one of the following (correct me if I'm missing something):

1. The mobo is DOA.
  2. The CPU is DOA.
  3. The DRAM is DOA.
  4. Compatibility issues.
  5. Some combination of the above.

17 minutes ago, AmazingCincy said:

Ok, removed RAM and still got the 5 long beeps (definitely closer to 2 seconds than to 1), although there were fewer LED codes this time.  Just C2 and C4.  When the buzzer beeps, the LED display shows C1.

This board also has a panel of 4 small red LED's that supposedly indicate errors in components.  The top left is CPU, the top right is memory, the bottom left is VGA, and I think the bottom right is Other.  The lights consistently illuminate briefly on the cpu light, then switch to the memory light until the codes cycle through and repeat.

So I removed the AIO and re-sat the CPU.  Checked for bent pins and anything that might be physically wrong with the socket, nothing obvious to me.

Still getting the 5 beep error.  Since I'm using all new parts, I need to narrow down the issue to avoid RMAing three different parts.

I know the CPU is compatible, so it has to be one of the following (correct me if I'm missing something):

1. The mobo is DOA.
  2. The CPU is DOA.
  3. The DRAM is DOA.
  4. Compatibility issues.
  5. Some combination of the above.

I'd start with the easiest. 

The DRAM kit. As it is already suspect and easy to install and replace. 

I'm having a similar issue (albeit with a Gigabyte Z690 Aurus Master, and Trident 5600 rather than 6000). Looking at gskill.com/configurator, when I select my motherboard, it doesn't list the Trident memory series, it only has three Ripjaw options available (while some other motherboard manufacturers, it does include Trident).

So it's possible it might actually be an incompatibility with motherboard/RAM - which is frustrating not just because DDR5 is hard to find, but because I literally bought it as a Newegg Combo deal. On the other hand, it might just be that they didn't do compatibility testing with this RAM... but it's not like I can easily swap to a different set of DDR5 to test.

I solved the problem I was having (that was nearly identical to yours) by updating the BIOS.

Updating required "Q-Flash Plus", which I don't think all Gigabyte motherboards have. But with it, you can download the BIOS from Gigabyte's site, put the BIOS (largest file in the zip file) in the root directory of a FAT32 formatted USB key, and rename it "GIGABYTE.bin". Then insert it into the specific USB port labeled BIOS, and *while the PC is powered off but plugged in) hit the "Q-flash" button. It took about 15 minutes of flashing, but then by motherboard was able to POST with the RAM installed.

If your motherboard doesn't support the "update bios without having CPU/RAM installed or working" flow, updating it would require getting some kind of working setup installed to perform the update. Maybe Gigabyte support can help? Or see if you have any friends with DDR5 RAM you can beg to borrow just to update the BIOS (or if you have a local PC shop - a mom and pop type store or Microcenter, they might be able/willing to help).

[Edit: I noticed you mentioned trying to flash the BIOS already - I tried unsuccessfully multiple times before I got it to work, the key was to make sure system was powered off and the file was renamed]