Smart home Light switch/Bulb question

Neko_UwU

So eventually I'm going to convert my house to be mostly smart, but i have a question on smart switch's and bulbs;

How do smart light switch's work with smart bulbs if the switch is set to "off"?

Like does some power go to the bulbs even if the switch is off? so Alexa could turn on the bulbs anyways? and it would all work seamlessly? 

If no [aka if i have the switch on "off" and the bulbs show as "offline"], then it would be pointless to use switch's if i used smart bulbs correct? i could just have the normal on/off switch always "on", then either control them with alexa or motion sensors or a smart button?

(for context i've heard Lutron's are super highly rated, don't need neutral, are 3 way compatible, cheap, etc; So was wondering about getting those with some nice smart bulbs for the home)

Short answer, no.  If the switch is off, the fixture is off.  You'd have to leave the switch ON to keep the fixture powered.  And i'm fairly certain that retro-wiring the fixture (not an outlet, but an actual electrical junction box) to be "always on" is against code (YMMV if outside USA).  Z-wave or whatever will probably do everything you want to...the caveat is the fixture/outlet switch has to be ON.

Consider instead a smart switch that works at the wall-switch end of your devices.  Leaving the wall switch "ON", this device would then power/unpower the attached junction box/s.  Meaning that you can do much more than you could with simply a "smart bulb".