Question about HTTP / SOCKS5 proxy.

mrchow19910319

Before knowing about Shadowsocks(R), V2Ray, and Trojan protocols, I used ExpressVPN as my default application the bypass the GFW.

After some research online, I found a VPN provider who provides servers that are using those protocals. And it is way cheaper than buying the subscription from ExpressVPN.

In order to make it works on linux, I have to install this app https://github.com/Dr-Incognito/V2Ray-Desktop then import all of my server configs into it. 

Upon using it I found out that I have to explicitly set up the port number when it comes to HTTP and SOCKS5 ports.

Why is that?? What's the logic behind it??? So right now all of my data is going through these 2 ports only or??? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Why is that?? What's the logic behind it??? So right now all of my data is going through these 2 ports only or??? 

Not sure what this has to do with programming. This is more of a networking question.

Simply put, that's just how proxies work. An HTTP proxy receives connections (typically on port 8080) and proxies them to HTTP(S) servers. It's not designed to forward any other kind of traffic.

A socks proxy (usually on port 1080) can proxy anything. But like most network services it requires a well known port, otherwise clients wouldn't know how to connect to it. This is not the same as a VPN which essentially works like a transparent proxy (plus encryption) that tunnels everything.

~edit: A VPN client generally intercepts, encrypts and redirects all of your network traffic. Apps don't need to be aware of it and typically can't circumvent it. A VPN server typically requires authentication.

A proxy usually needs to be configured to be used. Your browser isn't going to use a proxy unless you explicitly tell it to. The proxy simply receives and forwards connections (and usually also adds a "Via" header to HTTP traffic). It may or may not require authentication to be used.

A transparent proxy is similar, except it will intercept, (filter), and redirect traffic without apps being aware of it. Unlike a VPN, it isn't intended to encrypt traffic, but is more often used to filter out unwanted traffic or e.g. provide cached answers (to reduce outgoing traffic).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

A proxy usually needs to be configured to be used. Your browser isn't going to use a proxy unless you explicitly tell it to. The proxy simply receives and forwards connections (and usually also adds a "Via" header to HTTP traffic). It may or may not require authentication to be used.

I see. So what I am using right now , to simply put is to explicitly tells all of my apps to use SOCKS5 proxy when trying to connect to google etc , is that right? 

21 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I see. So what I am using right now , to simply put is to explicitly tells all of my apps to use SOCKS5 proxy when trying to connect to google etc , is that right? 

I'm not sure. Most of the information about V2Ray is in Chinese and what is available in English wasn't clear to me. Seems supposed to be some kind of "build your own VPN".

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I'm not sure. Most of the information about V2Ray is in Chinese and what is available in English wasn't clear to me. Seems supposed to be some kind of "build your own VPN".

I see. Thank you anyway.