n00b needs help - CPU/RAM Compatibility Warning

Cozmonaut13
Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
59 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

If it's gaming Intel's Alderlake is usually ahead and is a pretty good arch for a lot of things but it's a little hot and a tiny bit of a powerhog

Alder lake power consumption in reality

elmo-burning.gif.1f23f533dc4d38ac858fc5eca2931429.gif

Though atleast this time it has good performance unlike some other waste of silicon (looking at you 11900 cpus)

On 11/25/2021 at 4:14 AM, Lord Nicoll said:

If you want it to be relevent for as long as possible wait for the new AMD CPUs to drop as the 5950X was released over a year ago. Rumours suggest probably coming in early 2022, or go with Alderlake, it's pretty alright, but I'd wait to see what the to be announced AMD stuff is like.

^^^

Alderlake is still really young and the acritecture is very new so theres gonna be some growing pains

Zen3 is still more efficient than alderlake but does lose out in performance quite abit, not to mention zen 6000 or whatever the hell theyll call it this time is gonna release pretty soon

On the pcpartpicker list

Cooler is some overpriced trash for a tiny ass display, if you want a display on your pc look at installing one of those sensor panel thingys, you could use it as a sensor panel or a glorified picture display, not to mention it isnt tiny asf

Ram is ludicrously overpriced, id suggest ripjaws v 4000 cl18 cause 32gb kit for that is ~135, also after looking around for the highest ddr4 volts i could find, looks like the deathzone for ddr4 is ~2v, so i think upto ~1.7v is prob "safe"  but you prob wont need to push those volts that high unless you got some good ram dies that scale well with volts

Evolv x doesnt seem to have much front airflow but instead a ton of bottom and top airflow, though maybe consider a cheaper case like the enthoo pro (2)

Hi all, 

I am finalizing a parts list for my first build. Go big or go home as they say. I am attempting to build a PC that will be relevant for as long as possible.

I received the below compatibility note from pcpartpicker and wanted to ask if this is a serious problem? Any way around the issue if so? I’ve also included my other selected parts (so far). To note, I already have the 3080. Any suggestions or constructive criticism is sincerely appreciated. 

The G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 Memory operating voltage of 1.45 V exceeds the AMD Zen 3 CPU recommended maximum of 1350 mv+7% (1444.5 mv). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1350 mv voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the AMD recommended maximum.”

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCTFF8

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x 3.4ghz 16 core 

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM

Memory: G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 2x16gb ddr4 3600 cl14 (Samsung bdie according to a bdie finder)

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 FE  
Case: Phanteks Evolv X

Still deliberating on Motherboard, power supply and storage. 

Not sure why it's giving you that warning, but there should be no issue. Trident Zs are some of the most common kits paired with Ryzen CPUs.

Also, what exactly are you doing with this PC? Unless you actually *need* 32 threads, the 5900X is the better chip. It performs better core for core than the 5950X and runs cooler. Plus, you save $200.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

49 minutes ago, Cozmonaut13 said:

Hi all, 

I am finalizing a parts list for my first build. Go big or go home as they say. I am attempting to build a PC that will be relevant for as long as possible.

I received the below compatibility note from pcpartpicker and wanted to ask if this is a serious problem? Any way around the issue if so? I’ve also included my other selected parts (so far). To note, I already have the 3080. Any suggestions or constructive criticism is sincerely appreciated. 

The G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 Memory operating voltage of 1.45 V exceeds the AMD Zen 3 CPU recommended maximum of 1350 mv+7% (1444.5 mv). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1350 mv voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the AMD recommended maximum.”

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCTFF8

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x 3.4ghz 16 core 

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM

Memory: G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 2x16gb ddr4 3600 cl14 (Samsung bdie according to a bdie finder)

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 FE  
Case: Phanteks Evolv X

Still deliberating on Motherboard, power supply and storage. 

If you want it to be relevent for as long as possible wait for the new AMD CPUs to drop as the 5950X was released over a year ago. Rumours suggest probably coming in early 2022, or go with Alderlake, it's pretty alright, but I'd wait to see what the to be announced AMD stuff is like. If you think the 5950X will stay relevent the longest simply because it has more cores then that's not really the whole picture, also ultimatly DDR4 is about to be made obsolete by DDR5 too. 

As for the voltage thing if you want to keep the PC for a long time it might not be the best idea to run over recommended voltages, with that said I don't think 1.45v will do that much damage. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

Not sure why it's giving you that warning, but there should be no issue. Trident Zs are some of the most common kits paired with Ryzen CPUs.

Also, what exactly are you doing with this PC? Unless you actually *need* 32 threads, the 5900X is the better chip. It performs better core for core than the 5950X and runs cooler. Plus, you save $200.

Chris, appreciate it! I was thinking similar on the CPU. Hit my bonus so thought why not. Curious what solutions what help with that warning and what the voltage means. Completely ignorant on the subject. Thanks again

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

If you want it to be relevent for as long as possible wait for the new AMD CPUs to drop as the 5950X was released over a year ago. Rumours suggest probably coming in early 2022, or go with Alderlake, it's pretty alright, but I'd wait to see what the to be announced AMD stuff is like. If you think the 5950X will stay relevent the longest simply because it has more cores then that's not really the whole picture, also ultimatly DDR4 is about to be made obsolete by DDR5 too. 

As for the voltage thing if you want to keep the PC for a long time it might not be the best idea to run over recommended voltages, with that said I don't think 1.45v will do that much damage. 

Appreciate the reply/info. I’ve been waiting since 2019 so really do not want to keep on keeping on waiting. What would your suggestions be to resolve the voltage issue? I’m pretty unlearned on the issue and confused how a good CPU would have difficulties with any RAM, let alone 2x16gb. Sincerely appreciate the reply/assistance! 

On 11/24/2021 at 10:34 PM, Cozmonaut13 said:

Appreciate the reply/info. I’ve been waiting since 2019 so really do not want to keep on keeping on waiting. What would your suggestions be to resolve the voltage issue? I’m pretty unlearned on the issue and confused how a good CPU would have difficulties with any RAM, let alone 2x16gb. Sincerely appreciate the reply/assistance! 

I know of some motherboards that have validated 1.65v for RAM kits so I suspect 1.45v would be fine (they're MSI boards) however 1.45v for 3600MHz is pretty shit ngl (however it is low latency, CL14), my 4000MHz kit is rated at 1.35v, but that's CL18. I have overclocked it to 1.5v with lower latencies but overclocking RAM can take weeks. I wouldn't say there is an issue really at all, other than the 5950X not being the best choice, what do you want to use the PC for? If it's gaming Intel's Alderlake is usually ahead and is a pretty good arch for a lot of things but it's a little hot and a tiny bit of a powerhog but there should be another gen for updates, For AMD I suspect AM4 is now finished and the new stuff will AM5 with DDR5, at least that is what I suspect, so why bother buying into it now. 

Yours faithfully

59 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

If it's gaming Intel's Alderlake is usually ahead and is a pretty good arch for a lot of things but it's a little hot and a tiny bit of a powerhog

Alder lake power consumption in reality

elmo-burning.gif.1f23f533dc4d38ac858fc5eca2931429.gif

Though atleast this time it has good performance unlike some other waste of silicon (looking at you 11900 cpus)

On 11/25/2021 at 4:14 AM, Lord Nicoll said:

If you want it to be relevent for as long as possible wait for the new AMD CPUs to drop as the 5950X was released over a year ago. Rumours suggest probably coming in early 2022, or go with Alderlake, it's pretty alright, but I'd wait to see what the to be announced AMD stuff is like.

^^^

Alderlake is still really young and the acritecture is very new so theres gonna be some growing pains

Zen3 is still more efficient than alderlake but does lose out in performance quite abit, not to mention zen 6000 or whatever the hell theyll call it this time is gonna release pretty soon

On the pcpartpicker list

Cooler is some overpriced trash for a tiny ass display, if you want a display on your pc look at installing one of those sensor panel thingys, you could use it as a sensor panel or a glorified picture display, not to mention it isnt tiny asf

Ram is ludicrously overpriced, id suggest ripjaws v 4000 cl18 cause 32gb kit for that is ~135, also after looking around for the highest ddr4 volts i could find, looks like the deathzone for ddr4 is ~2v, so i think upto ~1.7v is prob "safe"  but you prob wont need to push those volts that high unless you got some good ram dies that scale well with volts

Evolv x doesnt seem to have much front airflow but instead a ton of bottom and top airflow, though maybe consider a cheaper case like the enthoo pro (2)

Appreciate it!!! All makes more sense now for sure. will be looking into the sensor displays for sure. The nzxt cooler had great reviews so the alternative perspective is good to have.