Time to upgrade to 1440P

SmilesRising

Hello!

I've been using my BenQ XL2430T for about 6-7 years now and it has been great but now it is time to get something better. The colors of the BenQ were really off and it has never really satisfied me.. so now black friday is coming up and I found this monitor:聽https://www.inet.se/produkt/2218733/acer-27-predator-xb273unv-qhd-ips-170-hz-rgb-bf21#specifikationer聽on paper it seems really nice, high refresh rate, 1440p, HDR. It looks solid to me but I would appreciate your help in deciding whether or not this is a good choice? 馃檪

Watches and computers聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽

46 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'd go with -聽 LG 27GP850. Bit cheaper but spec-wise a bit better also.

https://www.inet.se/jamfor?compare=2218733&compare=2218993

Acer has many good models, the reviews are hard to find...

That does look similar to the one I linked.. But the Acer does have RGB and speakers but that might just be unnecessary features that i think i need but actually dont聽馃槄

11 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'd go with -聽 LG 27GP850. Bit cheaper but spec-wise a bit better also.

https://www.inet.se/jamfor?compare=2218733&compare=2218993

Acer has many good models, the reviews are hard to find...

But do you think IPS is the way to go? i see that VA Panels have much better contrast which to me sounds like better picture quality?聽

5 hours ago, SmilesRising said:

But do you think IPS is the way to go? i see that VA Panels have much better contrast which to me sounds like better picture quality?聽

I don't see why not IPS. VA does have deeper blacks, but IPS has no black smearing. Or at least far from as noticeable than VA.

I edit my posts more often than not

28 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I don't see why not IPS. VA does have deeper blacks, but IPS has no black smearing. Or at least far from as noticeable than VA.

Ah I had no idea that was a thing.. well IPS it is then..聽

21 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

You can make arguments for IPS vs VA all day. In the end black smearing is there for most VA panels, but it's not something that will ruin your experience. IPS does have worse contrast and because of that is worse for dark rooms. It's simply not able to produce black, which can produce a worse image even with IPS's better colors. There are advantages and drawbacks to both technologies and there is no simple "x is better" like many people make it out to be. It all depends on what the usecase is.

There are too many differences that i could list here. If OP wants a complete summary of TN vs. IPS vs. VA then watch this video:

Another thing: Don't shop based on HDR support. The reality is that HDR currently is a load of marketing mumbo-jumbo and most HDR certified monitors lack the required hardware to make use of HDR content, so they're realistically not even capable of producing an HDR image. If you really want HDR then you'll have to spend upwards of $1000 on a real HDR display using a FALD backlight with hundreds (or better, thousands) of zones or an OLED display. For everything else: Don't mind the HDR spec.

For good and fitting recommendations we need to know what specs you'd want and what budget you have. There are likely better monitors i could recommend with this information.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 11/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, Stahlmann said:

You can make arguments for IPS vs VA all day. In the end black smearing is there for most VA panels, but it's not something that will ruin your experience. IPS does have worse contrast and because of that is worse for dark rooms. It's simply not able to produce black, which can produce a worse image even with IPS's better colors. There are advantages and drawbacks to both technologies and there is no simple "x is better" like many people make it out to be. It all depends on what the usecase is.

There are too many differences that i could list here. If OP wants a complete summary of TN vs. IPS vs. VA then watch this video:

Another thing: Don't shop based on HDR support. The reality is that HDR currently is a load of marketing mumbo-jumbo and most HDR certified monitors lack the required hardware to make use of HDR content, so they're realistically not even capable of producing an HDR image. If you really want HDR then you'll have to spend upwards of $1000 on a real HDR display using a FALD backlight with hundreds (or better, thousands) of zones or an OLED display. For everything else: Don't mind the HDR spec.

For good and fitting recommendations we need to know what specs you'd want and what budget you have. There are likely better monitors i could recommend with this information.

Sorry for the very late reply!

I bought the LG Ultragear 27GP850, and it's nice but I dont know if it is as amazing as I thought an upgrade would be lol.. Budget was around 4-500 dollars but can go up to 600 if it's worth it.. My PC components are I7-6700K, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM and 1TB NVMe SSD.

I play games and watch movies / shows so something versatile would be good.

The games I mostly play are Leauge of Legends and battlefield 4 or 2042 and a bit of GTA V.

Let me know if you need more info!聽

1 hour ago, SmilesRising said:

Sorry for the very late reply!

I bought the LG Ultragear 27GP850, and it's nice but I dont know if it is as amazing as I thought an upgrade would be lol.. Budget was around 4-500 dollars but can go up to 600 if it's worth it.. My PC components are I7-6700K, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM and 1TB NVMe SSD.

I play games and watch movies / shows so something versatile would be good.

The games I mostly play are Leauge of Legends and battlefield 4 or 2042 and a bit of GTA V.

Let me know if you need more info!聽

There are slightly better and slightly worse options, but we're in nitpicking territorry here. Overall the LG 27GP850-B is one of the best IPS monitors out there. It simply isn't the best value. Just be happy with it and don't overthink it! 馃槃

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, Stahlmann said:

There are slightly better and slightly worse options, but we're in nitpicking territorry here. Overall the LG 27GP850-B is one of the best IPS monitors out there. It simply isn't the best value. Just be happy with it and don't overthink it! 馃槃

I got it for ~300 on a Black Friday sale so it wasn鈥檛 that bad haha. Thank you for the support! It feels good to know that I didn鈥檛 make a terrible choice 馃槄

1 minute ago, SmilesRising said:

I got it for ~300 on a Black Friday sale so it wasn鈥檛 that bad haha. Thank you for the support! It feels good to know that I didn鈥檛 make a terrible choice 馃槄

$300 is unbeatable value for that monitor. So you didn't just "not make a terrible choice" but a great one.