GPU high temperatures after cleaning fans

Dantigas

Hey guys I have this really weird situation and I want some people input, especially from all of you, my gpu is a MSI 1660 ti Ventus XS (no overclocking)

Normally I see ~61C gaming and 31C idol.
Because where I live we are heading to summer I was thinking "okay now that I'm seeing 65 (stable) gaming, I'm going to clean up my gpu" 

Because I didn't want to messed up with the gpu I just take out the fans, in this particular one you can very easily remove the fans without taking the heat spreader, so I clean my fans everything was okay, that night after a session of gaming i notice that my gpu was around 78 close to 80c, in the last two years I have never seen those temp's.

So I was "okay... I messed up something", the fans are spinning? -check, afterburner curve, 100% at 60c -check, CPU temps ~50C -check, a couple of games: age of empires 4, Witcher 3 and PUBG, the temps go to 65 and slowly climbs to ~80C.
Path of Exile they stay on ~75C.
I want to clarify that with all these games I always have seen ~60C even in summer.

So I decided to take apart the gpu and change the thermal paste, no change on temp's after that, I have tried with a fair amount of thermal paste and with a little amount, both times with no change, always doing the same slow claiming to ~78C.

My theory is that cleaning the fans maybe some of the dust enter the fans? and they are not properly spinning at the speed that they have to, with afterburner on the desktop, idol, i change the speed (manually) to 100% and notice that now they make a little noise, like old fans, I even check if the cables off the fans were touching something and they are not.

I don't know guys, this is so ironic that it kills my brain, I will really appreciate some input on this, maybe I messed up something and I am too small brain to realize or maybe my theory on the fans is right. I'm thinking of changing them for new ones.

You probably loosened the thermal paste when you took off the fans. I’d suggest you repaste it before getting new fans. If they’re spinning then they’re almost certainly fine.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Well what gpu is it with such detachable fans? Sounds sus, they probably aren't fitting properly anymore. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Roswell said:

You probably loosened the thermal paste when you took off the fans. I’d suggest you repaste it before getting new fans. If they’re spinning then they’re almost certainly fine.

I already reapplied the thermal paste twice:

-After cleaning the fans and seeing the 80 degrees because I thought the same as you, i apply a generous amount just in case
-A second time, less quantity (but covering the whole die) because the temps were still at 80C, I wanted to rule out that it was too much.

You gave me the idea that maybe the layer of thermal paste is very thick, I could apply a thinner one maybe.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well what gpu is it with such detachable fans? Sounds sus, they probably aren't fitting properly anymore. 

It is a common MSI, on the sides you have four screws that separate the plastic "casing" where the fans are, without removing the metal heat spreader, but I have not noticed that they aren't fitting properly, I think I will check that, although it does not have much science

Thanks! both of you, for your suggestions

These two screws:

1637536485096.thumb.jpg.75d68abe44ceba0234a08b43d732992e.jpg

1637536485103.thumb.jpg.e574286587f5bfa0245c3be33d92c5d7.jpg

Well I didn't think removing the fans also included removing the shroud, from your description... this is all pointing to a bad mount,  i mean no offense but it is obvious.

thats also why many are reluctant to dismantle their gpu, typically gpus aren't made for user servicing them.

So yeah, now you have to check the mount,  thermal pads,  etc, probably the gap between gpu and heatsink is a bit too big , but I can't know,  you gotta check. You may also go to a repair store if possible. 

Good news is this is most likely fixable.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well I didn't think removing the fans also included removing the shroud, from your description... this is all pointing to a bad mount,  i mean no offense but it is obvious.

thats also why many are reluctant to dismantle their gpu, typically gpus aren't made for user servicing them.

So yeah, now you have to check the mount,  thermal pads,  etc, probably the gap between gpu and heatsink is a bit too big , but I can't know,  you gotta check. You may also go to a repair store if possible. 

Good news is this is most likely fixable.  

Yes, not offended here haha I know I clearly put something back wrong, that's why I wanted other opinions, to find out where I could screw up.

I'm going to check everything you tell me one last time, intensively. I did not think about the paste or the thermal pads because I put all new ones after I noticed the problem, the gap between gpu and heatsink it is very likely to be the problem or the fans mount.

but I think I'll send it to a repair store.

Thank you!

Alright,  two things I can suggest, check if there's any gap, and also if there is anything in the way like a small screw,  plug, anything...

And make sure the pads are the right size (you exchanged those too ?) Just a few mm can make or break it.

Other than that yeah,  maybe a store is your best option,  good luck 👍 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer