Computer feed freezes occasionally, may not be the GPU?

GamingSeargent
Go to solution Solved by creesch,
2 hours ago, GamingSeargent said:

I have XMP enabled so it is running at its advertised speed. Ill try to test with one monitor, the timing of it freezing seems pretty random

It stops responding, but I can move the mouse for a couple more seconds before it also freezes. it unfreezes after a few seconds. (It also freezes on both monitors)

I did some searching through the files and found this error appears every time it freezes:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I'm not sure how I can fix it

Download DDU and the latest drivers for your videocard. Boot to safe mode, run DDU to completely remove your gpu drivers, boot back to normal mode and install the drivers again. 

If it is a driver issue, which it might be given the error, this should fix it. 

Hello, my computer has begun freezing occasionally. I thought that it was a GPU issue, however I realised that for a second when the freeze begins, I can still move the mouse. The audio still plays so its not the computer stopping either.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($408.30 @ Device Deal) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.00 @ Centre Com) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($179.00 @ BPC Technology) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card  ($450.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($155.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master MasterFan MF Halo 47.2 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($21.95 @ JW Computers) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master MasterFan MF Halo 47.2 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($71.61 @ JW Computers) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($489.00 @ Centre Com) 

2nd Monitor: Old LG TV

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-20 15:01 AEDT+1100

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Tomahawk

16GB 3600mHz Trident Z RGB

1650 Super

Fractal Design Meshify C

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Bumping it because no response and it keeps happening

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Tomahawk

1650 Super

Fractal Design Meshify C

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Bumping again

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Tomahawk

1650 Super

Fractal Design Meshify C

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Hey,

Is your random access memory overclocked? Did you configure it properly?

Try testing the PC with one monitor only enabled.

• What do you exactly mean by freezing? Can you record it when it is happening?
  • Does it start responding after a while or does it remain frozen until you reboot?
    • If it does unfreeze can you keep task manager open and see if GPU or CPU usage was high around the time it froze. 
    • If it doesn't unfreeze try keeping task manager open on your secondary screen with the detailed application list sorted by CPU usage. See if anything pops up there. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

On 11/24/2021 at 11:10 PM, chrome_wheels said:

Hey,

Is your random access memory overclocked? Did you configure it properly?

Try testing the PC with one monitor only enabled.

I have XMP enabled so it is running at its advertised speed. Ill try to test with one monitor, the timing of it freezing seems pretty random

On 11/24/2021 at 11:55 PM, creesch said:
  • What do you exactly mean by freezing? Can you record it when it is happening?
  • Does it start responding after a while or does it remain frozen until you reboot?
    • If it does unfreeze can you keep task manager open and see if GPU or CPU usage was high around the time it froze. 
    • If it doesn't unfreeze try keeping task manager open on your secondary screen with the detailed application list sorted by CPU usage. See if anything pops up there. 

It stops responding, but I can move the mouse for a couple more seconds before it also freezes. it unfreezes after a few seconds. (It also freezes on both monitors)

I did some searching through the files and found this error appears every time it freezes:

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Tomahawk

1650 Super

Fractal Design Meshify C

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

2 hours ago, GamingSeargent said:

Download DDU and the latest drivers for your videocard. Boot to safe mode, run DDU to completely remove your gpu drivers, boot back to normal mode and install the drivers again. 

If it is a driver issue, which it might be given the error, this should fix it. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.