Not sure which 1440p IPS monitor to buy

GetDonuts

Currently im looking at the "Gigabyte M32Q" and "Alienware AW2721D"

Currently the gigabyte is cheaper on blackfriday sale only for 400€ but the screen is quite large compared to my current 24inch screen and its not 240hz its 170hz, so im a bit unsure should i wait for the alienware to go on sale (potentially mising this gigabyte sale if i wait too long) or bite the bullet and go for the gigabyte? also because of a larger screen i would need even more GPU power to play games on it? correct?

11 minutes ago, GetDonuts said:

Currently im looking at the "Gigabyte M32Q" and "Alienware AW2721D"

Currently the gigabyte is cheaper on blackfriday sale only for 400€ but the screen is quite large compared to my current 24inch screen and its not 240hz its 170hz, so im a bit unsure should i wait for the alienware to go on sale (potentially mising this gigabyte sale if i wait too long) or bite the bullet and go for the gigabyte? also because of a larger screen i would need even more GPU power to play games on it? correct?

So I got a 34 inch monitor. While it seems odd at first however I can't use a smaller screen now u would be amused how good are large screens for productivity and gaming . And I believe any thing above 120 hz is good enough. For gpu I used to be running it with a 1080ti which if iam right is in the range of 3060-3060ti performance and it ran 120 hz most of the time

2 minutes ago, chaotic kronos said:

So I got a 34 inch monitor. While it seems odd at first however I can't use a smaller screen now u would be amused how good are large screens for productivity and gaming . And I believe any thing above 120 hz is good enough. For gpu I used to be running it with a 1080ti which if iam right is in the range of 3060-3060ti performance and it ran 120 hz most of the time

Well my issue is im afraid i will notice the downgrade from 240hz to 170hz as i currently have a TN panel from alienware thats 240hz.

2 minutes ago, GetDonuts said:

Well my issue is im afraid i will notice the downgrade from 240hz to 170hz as i currently have a TN panel from alienware thats 240hz.

I do have 240 hz monitor and 120 hz one . While I could see some difference it's not by any mean annoying.  That the only reason making it noticeable is that I keep using both after each other .but a drop from 240 to 170 should be far less noticeable . What is your graphics card.  If u got a high end one u might just go for  a 4k high refresh rate

1 hour ago, chaotic kronos said:

I do have 240 hz monitor and 120 hz one . While I could see some difference it's not by any mean annoying.  That the only reason making it noticeable is that I keep using both after each other .but a drop from 240 to 170 should be far less noticeable . What is your graphics card.  If u got a high end one u might just go for  a 4k high refresh rate

im not going to for 4k cuz its too risky. i have a gtx 1080

1 hour ago, GetDonuts said:

Yeah a 1080 would suffer from 4k but would be great for 1440p

On 11/19/2021 at 5:40 PM, GetDonuts said:

also because of a larger screen i would need even more GPU power to play games on it? correct?

The required GPU power doesn't depend on the screen size, but the resolution and refresh rate.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, GetDonuts said:

That's a very small difference. It will be there but it's next to nothing. When i set my 200Hz monitor to run at 144Hz i do notice a very slightly higher mouse latency in windows, but as most games don't run over 144 fps even with my 3080 it doesn't really make a difference in games.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:43 PM, GetDonuts said:

A 1080 will not handle 4K very well. You'd have to play at medium to low for most games to even get close to 60 fps. So i'd recommend against that.

The two monitors you're referring to are very different. While both are good the AW2721D is a higher end product and overall better in pretty much everything than the M32Q.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.