Windows Server 2019 question about DHCP

cpuz953
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

You'd need to enable the Routing function of the Windows Server by the sounds of it. You're handing out IPs but there is no route path to your router.

Really what you want is a managed switch that supports basic L3 functions like static routes. Setup different VLAN for each subnet you wish to use and give each VLAN a sub-interface IP address to act as the gateway for the network, then setup DHCP relay to your DHCP server.

You simply won't have an optimal setup without a managed switch that supports routing, using your Windows Server for this will only be painful (it can be the DHCP server though just fine).

Hi guys,

I'm got my hands on old HP ProLiant DL385G7 server and I installed WS2019 on it. Now as this server have 4 NICs i was thinking about creating DHCP server so i can have multiple networks for eg. CCTV cameras but i ran into a problem. 

I created DHCP server and devices can get an IP address but there is no internet connection. Also i don't need Active directory. I followed several tutorials on youtube but no luck, every tutorial includes AD DS and one NIC. I also tried to install AD DS and DNS but nothing worked. I'm not a complete beginner but i didn't work with servers and i would like to learn a thing or two.

On one NIC i have internet connection and i made static IP for that link. I configure DHCP and i made static ip for the other NIC, for prefered DNS server i put google dns. I bond DHCP server with that NIC and devices get IP but no internet access. 

Is there a reason your running plain windows server here?

This seems to make much more sense ot run a hypervisor and use vms and virtual networking.

But you can make windows into a router and router the different subnets to each other.

This feels like a job for your router, not your server box here. You can run a virtual router like opnsense here though.

You'd need to enable the Routing function of the Windows Server by the sounds of it. You're handing out IPs but there is no route path to your router.

Really what you want is a managed switch that supports basic L3 functions like static routes. Setup different VLAN for each subnet you wish to use and give each VLAN a sub-interface IP address to act as the gateway for the network, then setup DHCP relay to your DHCP server.

You simply won't have an optimal setup without a managed switch that supports routing, using your Windows Server for this will only be painful (it can be the DHCP server though just fine).

So it's better to leave this to the router rather than doing it on the server.

I have managed switch, it is aruba 1930, router is mikrotik and i configured 2 VLANs on eth4 and router is connected to the switch via fiber and i have one vlan on first 4 ports and second vlan on the other 4 ports and that is working without a problem.

I will install ESXi eventually.

I'm trying to learn more about networking and servers, so im reading and watching tutorials and i know it's a shame to use server like that for such a trivial stuff but it helps a lot when you can actually see how it works.

If you have link to a good pdf or book to recommend it would be great.

If it's only going to be used as a router, you can install OS's that are tailored to be routers.

As long as you meet the requirements, pfsense is a good starting place.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

4 hours ago, cpuz953 said:

I'm trying to learn more about networking and servers, so im reading and watching tutorials and i know it's a shame to use server like that for such a trivial stuff but it helps a lot when you can actually see how it works.

It's a perfect use for a server like that and of it's age, one of the best uses 🙂

4 hours ago, cpuz953 said:

If you have link to a good pdf or book to recommend it would be great.

Networking wise Juniper has very good educational content and it'll apply to any network vendor, just slightly different command syntax but what you'll learn is all the fundamental knowledge. Once you've done that setting up networking for ESXi and different VLANs will make way more sense

It was cheaper for me to buy used server like this instead upgrading RAM and CPU on my PC. I think this server cost me like 80 USD factory refurbished and it came with 2 460W PSU, 32G ECC DDR3, 2 Opteron 6128 CPUs and some kind of controler card that is still in the box. It's 2011 server, i just updated a BIOS, put some old SATA HDD from laptops that i have and ofc 240GB ssd for a boot disk.

I have security cameras that supports iSCSI so i configured server as a target and cameras are recording to a server and its working like a charm (12 cameras, 4 MP) and im planning to make File server, so i think i will put server to a good use despite its age.

I will not use server as a router as i already have good router. I downloaded ESXi 6.5.0 as server dont support newer versions so i will start to learn esxi