ASrock X570/TB3 Issues

Skeletonfish

Hey LTT forums, it's been a long while since I posted on here... But hello again!

A little bit of backstory, I'm a Mac and Linux guy, and have been for a number of years. so I'm used to either things just "working" or being able to "sudo" things if it's being dumb, haha. I daily drove macOS for years up until I built my new machine the other week. A big part of me agreeing with myself that I could switch to daily driving Windows was that Thunderbolt was available on Windows more or less stably now. As being a mac guy thunderbolt had become part of my life and I own countless thunderbolt accessories as well as my setup has become based around a UAD Apollo DUO thunderbolt.

I opted for the ASrock X50/TB3 with a Ryzen 7 3800X and 32gb of ram, and a Titan X. As I wanted an ITX build and wanted decent CPU headroom for virtualization for development reasons. and of course thunderbolt support. I got it all together and I'm very happy with the overall performance of the build. However I seem to have entered a never ending fight with thunderbolt...

First day of having the machine up, thunderbolt wasn't working and I figured "that's fine I'll update some drivers when I have time and it'll start working"... fast-forward a week and after troubleshooting and reading almost every ASrock related Thunderbolt post I'm stumped. All drivers have been updated to the latest, Motherboard BIOS has been updated, thunderbolt firmware (NVM) has been updated to v50.0. and still no thunderbolt devices work. If I plug in a thunderbolt device windows seems to decide it's a USB device and gives me "A request for the USB device descriptor failed"... Which I guess makes sense that it throughs and error given its a TB device. But how then do I tell windows that this is a thunderbolt device and it is to treat it as such? Does anyone have any experience with ASrock's thunderbolt on AMD implementation? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

TL;DR windows throughs error "A request for the USB device descriptor failed" when a thunderbolt device is plugged into a thunderbolt port. On ASrock X570/TB3

Cheers, all! and thanks in advance for the help!

Thudnerbolt issue.PNG

Well seeing as Thunderbolt is an Intel technology it would suggest that implementations of the standart on AMD boards could be kinda jank/unstable.

Did you install the beta version of the Thunderbolt driver? If yes, have you tried removing the device in device manager (make sure it deletes the driver as well) and then installing the stable version (windows 10 version)?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 3 weeks later...

@Skeletonfish Interesting, I have the same mobo asrock x570 itx with tb3 onboard. I have two tb displays connected to the tb port with the dp pass through from the gpu, but can only ever get one display at a time to output.... they both are recognised in windows as for the internal speakers, and the thunderbolt driver detects both devices, but never video from both 🤔