Ethernet can't reach 1gbit after moving to new apartment.

idiocracy

This is super weird imo.

For the past 8/9 years i've had 1gbit with two different providers, no problem. Two weeks ago i moved to a new apartment, i ordered 1gbit and everything seemed fine. I brought my own router (qotom w. pfsense) which i was also using before.

I have two desktops. But for some reason, now both of my desktops cannot get 1gbit, they both top out at ~400mbit.

Changes: Old zyxel router is replaced with switch, old router gives same result as new switch. The ISP is new, but ethernet runs from fiber box to my router, as it did before. Old ISP required connection on VLAN 101, which has been removed from pfsense as the new ISP does not use VLAN's.

Today a technician was by and tested the connection and some of my cables and found no problems, +940mbit in both directions on his equipment. When i plug in i get the same slower result i did before.

Technician plugged in two devices, one being a thingie device which connected to his phone and measured up and download, and his laptop. We didn't disconnect anything, he just plugged into an empty port on the switch and that was it, i even tried moving my cable to that port, but it's the same thing. If i plug directly into the fiber box, it's also the same thing.

I have checked ethernet drivers, removed, reinstalled to no avail.

Desktop one. Win10, Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX (onboard I211), 2400G, 16gb ram.

Desktop two. Win11, MSI B450M MORTAR MAX (onboard RTL8111H-CG), 5600X, 16gb ram.

Switch: TL-SG1008P

Router: qotom w. i3-4025U, running pfsense.

All cables used are cat6 S/STP. Afterwards has been switched out for cat 6 UTP cables.

Background apps:

MS antivirus

Google drive

Radeon software

Networx

Discord

Teamviewer

Nzxt cam

TranslucentTB

Services:

Adobe acrobat updater

AMD crash defender

AMD external events

AMD user experience

CAM service

Disc soft lite bus service (daemontools)

easyanticheat (epic)

epic online services

google update

google update

malwarebytes

mozilla maintenance

realtek audio

steam client service

teamviwer

My dualcore work laptop get's better throughput than both my desktops when wired.

ffbb1367-6cb4-43d8-9840-6e8c8c9e9a39.png

PXL_20211113_145856459.jpg.d56ed090d5336ecf46b68d182f2ac2c4.jpg         PXL_20211113_145809293.thumb.jpg.ba32809cab2ac6f03018b0fa24707a7e.jpg

This is the ISP Nokia fiber box.

PXL_20211113_145918402.jpg.0364cc0a6643401185d7d706d84868ce.jpg         PXL_20211113_152122887.jpg.0b8b97c9481d35d972d41207924929da.jpg

If you can help me figure this out, i'd be very grateful.

Nope....Just nope.

First of all I would recommend doing all testing plugged directly into your Modem to rule out your router. After you figure out the issue, then hook up the router.

Did you update you Ethernet cables as well? Its possible your speed and Duplex is messed up or your ethernet cables aren't capable of running 1Gbit.

Your speed and Duplex can be found under your network adapter under configure and advanced.

Edit, also test on fast.com

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

20 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

First of all I would recommend doing all testing plugged directly into your Modem to rule out your router. After you figure out the issue, then hook up the router.

Did you update you Ethernet cables as well? Its possible your speed and Duplex is messed up or your ethernet cables aren't capable of running 1Gbit.

Your speed and Duplex can be found under your network adapter under configure and advanced.

Edit, also test on fast.com

"If i plug directly into the fiber box, it's also the same thing. "

"Today a technician was by and tested the connection, also some of my cables and all was good"

Ethernet settings are default, speed and duplex is auto negotiation. fast.com gives a better result, but still far from 1gbit.

Nope....Just nope.

Try the speedtest app on windows rather then the speedtest website.

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

1 hour ago, CustomEnchants said:

Primarily what i've been using on both machines, and tech used the same on his laptop.

Nope....Just nope.

7 hours ago, CustomEnchants said:

That always gets slower for me than the website, despite Speedtest.net claiming it should be more reliable. 🙄

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That always gets slower for me than the website, despite Speedtest.net claiming it should be more reliable. 🙄

That's weird.
I always get a better speed when using the app.

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

44 minutes ago, CustomEnchants said:

That's weird.
I always get a better speed when using the app.

Not system specific either, its always been like that for me since they launched it and I've tried it across maybe 5-6 different devices.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Ok, so i tried this.

Through the old ISP, i had a zyxel router which was set up with disabled dhcp server etc. So basically just working as a switch. I replaced that with an actual switch (TL-SG1008P). Just for kicks i decided to try that one as well as that had previously worked just fine. And i am getting the same result. I don't see how it can be anything but the actual onboard ethernet controllers, and how that is possible i do not know.

However, having removed them and the drivers, all their settings being reset, it just does not make any sense.

Nope....Just nope.

57 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

Ok, so i tried this.

Through the old ISP, i had a zyxel router which was set up with disabled dhcp server etc. So basically just working as a switch. I replaced that with an actual switch (TL-SG1008P). Just for kicks i decided to try that one as well as that had previously worked just fine. And i am getting the same result. I don't see how it can be anything but the actual onboard ethernet controllers, and how that is possible i do not know.

However, having removed them and the drivers, all their settings being reset, it just does not make any sense.

Yah, something is really off here but it's definitely not an easy/clear fix. The fact that the ISP tech using the same cable got pretty much gigabit speeds but you don't is really weird. I mean I don't suspect the controller because it would just fail to negotiate gigabit and drop to 100Mbps instead but you're like in the middle. You don't have any AV software or new 'gaming' optimizer software do you?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Yah, something is really off here but it's definitely not an easy/clear fix. The fact that the ISP tech using the same cable got pretty much gigabit speeds but you don't is really weird. I mean I don't suspect the controller because it would just fail to negotiate gigabit and drop to 100Mbps instead but you're like in the middle. You don't have any AV software or new 'gaming' optimizer software do you?

I updated OP with more info about background apps, services etc. Even some pictures in case that helps.

Nope....Just nope.

The weird thing is that the speed slowly increases. Right now i'm getting a solid 470mbit, still only half. But better than 380mbit. Maybe a month from now it'll be 600mbit.

Nope....Just nope.

• 4 weeks later...

So i spoke with some installation guys at work, they were installing alarms and i saw a box of cat6 cable and thought "maybe they know something". One of the guys mentioned that using shielded cables is stupid. If the shielding is not grounded in both ends, it works as an antenna and not as a shield.

Also i mentioned the 2.1 speaker set, and he talked about the magnetic field from the subs magnet. He recommended moving it further away.

I do have some cat6 utp cable, so i switched to those. Not much of a difference. Moving the sub made a noticeable difference. But still not close to the 1gbit.

So that's where i'm at atm.

Nope....Just nope.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:18 AM, jec6613 said:

Try setting your MTU to 1380?

Why 1380?

Nope....Just nope.

51 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

Why 1380?

Keeps the frame size under the limits imposed by ISP encapsulation overhead so it won't need to fragment at the moment.  1360 is a better choice if there's a VPN involved, as well.

17 hours ago, jec6613 said:

Keeps the frame size under the limits imposed by ISP encapsulation overhead so it won't need to fragment at the moment.  1360 is a better choice if there's a VPN involved, as well.

Tried it, no change. Also spoke with their support that told me mtu 1500 is the default value in their routers as well.

They're shipping me their router so we can test with that and see if it makes a difference. Which neither me nor the support guy has any confidence it will.

Nope....Just nope.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:24 PM, idiocracy said:

This is super weird imo.

For the past 8/9 years i've had 1gbit with two different providers, no problem. Two weeks ago i moved to a new apartment, i ordered 1gbit and everything seemed fine. I brought my own router (qotom w. pfsense) which i was also using before.

I have two desktops. But for some reason, now both of my desktops cannot get 1gbit, they both top out at ~400mbit.

Changes: Old zyxel router is replaced with switch, old router gives same result as new switch. The ISP is new, but ethernet runs from fiber box to my router, as it did before. Old ISP required connection on VLAN 101, which has been removed from pfsense as the new ISP does not use VLAN's.

Today a technician was by and tested the connection and some of my cables and found no problems, +940mbit in both directions on his equipment. When i plug in i get the same slower result i did before.

Technician plugged in two devices, one being a thingie device which connected to his phone and measured up and download, and his laptop. We didn't disconnect anything, he just plugged into an empty port on the switch and that was it, i even tried moving my cable to that port, but it's the same thing. If i plug directly into the fiber box, it's also the same thing.

I have checked ethernet drivers, removed, reinstalled to no avail.

Desktop one. Win10, Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX (onboard I211), 2400G, 16gb ram.

Desktop two. Win11, MSI B450M MORTAR MAX (onboard RTL8111H-CG), 5600X, 16gb ram.

Switch: TL-SG1008P

Router: qotom w. i3-4025U, running pfsense.

All cables used are cat6 S/STP. Afterwards have been switched out for cat 6 UTP cables.

Background apps:

MS antivirus

Google drive

Radeon software

Networx

Discord

Teamviewer

Nzxt cam

TranslucentTB

Services:

Adobe acrobat updater

AMD crash defender

AMD external events

AMD user experience

CAM service

Disc soft lite bus service (daemontools)

easyanticheat (epic)

epic online services

google update

google update

malwarebytes

mozilla maintenance

realtek audio

steam client service

teamviwer

My dualcore work laptop get's better throughput than both my desktops when wired.

ffbb1367-6cb4-43d8-9840-6e8c8c9e9a39.png

PXL_20211113_145856459.jpg.d56ed090d5336ecf46b68d182f2ac2c4.jpg         PXL_20211113_145809293.thumb.jpg.ba32809cab2ac6f03018b0fa24707a7e.jpg

This is the ISP Nokia fiber box.

PXL_20211113_145918402.jpg.0364cc0a6643401185d7d706d84868ce.jpg         PXL_20211113_152122887.jpg.0b8b97c9481d35d972d41207924929da.jpg

If you can help me figure this out, i'd be very grateful.

Nope....Just nope.

32 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

Have you tried using speedtest with another server? 3ms also seem high for 1gbit, if the server is located close to your position.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, idiocracy said:

Tried it, no change. Also spoke with their support that told me mtu 1500 is the default value in their routers as well.

They're shipping me their router so we can test with that and see if it makes a difference. Which neither me nor the support guy has any confidence it will.

Tried speedtest on my workplace we got 1gbit+, can't get over 670mbit even switching servers, download however is 960 or something like that. Might be the network, might be speedtest. MTU at 1500 for denmark is correct.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.