G9 Neo Multi PC Questions

Zypherr

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my monitors and i'm torn between 2x Asus PG279QM or 1x Neo G9. I think i'd prefer a Neo G9 overall but honestly there's some key questions I cannot find the answers to that would make me instantly regret a purchase of this magnitude. 

I almost always use my Home PC and Work PC concurrently, thus having two monitors currently works really well for me as I can have my work PC up on one whilst my Home(Gaming) PC is up on the other. I use an external USB switch to switch my KVM input to either machine at a button press.

I guess my Samsung G9 Neo questions are simply:

• Can I run 2 separate PC display inputs as split screen using PIP or PBP?
  • Is the split screen formatting configurable, i.e. i might just be using my Home PC for music at the time so i'd only need a sliver of the screen real estate.
  • Does this multi PC configuration cause any issues or stop any features. I'm expecting G-SYNC/Freesync to go out the window but this wont be used whilst working anyways, anything else however?
  • If you can think of any other pros/cons which might help me decided between a G9 or dual-monitor please feel free to share.

It appears after browsing the forums and reddit that my use case seems pretty niche most people only display 1 PC on their Ultrawide at a time and most questions similar to this regard the virtual monitor or fancyzones on 1 PC, This would be my first ultrawide experience and I have to admit losing the display customisation of dual monitors is kinda frightening me for the £1700 price tag. I wish there was somewhere I could test drive an ultrawide but my local PC stores never have any connected up to PC's only displaying demo's.

Never mind after some more searching on the interwebs I found these 2 videos (one is an odyssey G9 the other is a CRG9, so slightly different monitors):

CRG9 in PBP - 

Odyssey G9 in PBP - 

This answers my questions enough, Looks like I can accomplish the dual monitor functionality of having 2 separate display inputs display simultaneously (it should be mentioned I called Samsung support to ask this question and they literally told me "the technology you are inquiring about does not exist"). On an odyssey G9 you get 2x 27" 120Hz monitors and on both you have some limited configuration options which do exactly what i want, I can change the format to give me greater real estate for the machine I am primarily using at the time. (sliver screen for music as mentioned above).

21 hours ago, Zypherr said:
  • Can I run 2 separate PC display inputs as split screen using PIP or PBP?

Yes, PIP and PBP are supported.

• Is the split screen formatting configurable, i.e. i might just be using my Home PC for music at the time so i'd only need a sliver of the screen real estate.

Afaik you cannot configure PBP. You're limited to two 2560x1440 monitors.

• Does this multi PC configuration cause any issues or stop any features. I'm expecting G-SYNC/Freesync to go out the window but this wont be used whilst working anyways, anything else however?

Other than G-Sync it should work. Having HDR enabled on one side, but disabled on the other side might cause some issues though.

• If you can think of any other pros/cons which might help me decided between a G9 or dual-monitor please feel free to share.

It appears after browsing the forums and reddit that my use case seems pretty niche most people only display 1 PC on their Ultrawide at a time and most questions similar to this regard the virtual monitor or fancyzones on 1 PC, This would be my first ultrawide experience and I have to admit losing the display customisation of dual monitors is kinda frightening me for the £1700 price tag. I wish there was somewhere I could test drive an ultrawide but my local PC stores never have any connected up to PC's only displaying demo's.

There are a bunch of issues that are mostly fixed by lowering the refresh rate to 120Hz. If that's all you need you could just aswell go for the CRG9. It's basically the same monitor but in 120Hz and with the 10-zone backlight, not the MiniLED one. Samsung is working on new firmwares but after each update there are still people with unfixed issues. I'd personally stay away from any of their monitors for the forseeable future. At least until they get 1 or 2 proper releases out that are not plagued by issues.

All in all the Neo G9 has unrivaled specs and can be extremely good if it fits in your usecase and you receive a proper working one. But seeing how many don't receive working ones i'd say it's more of a gamle right now.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 11/9/2021 at 3:18 PM, Stahlmann said:

Yes, PIP and PBP are supported.

Thanks, I think my concern was how PIP or PBP worked. I have now seen proof of it working with two separate devices. As you can imagine I didn't have much confidence when the Samsung rep told me that the technology to display 2 input streams simultaneously "does not exist"

Afaik you cannot configure PBP. You're limited to two 2560x1440 monitors.

Other than G-Sync it should work. Having HDR enabled on one side, but disabled on the other side might cause some issues though.

When watching the two linked videos you can see that there are 3 configurations available for PBP: 2x[16:9], [21:9, 11:9], [11:9, 21:9] Which would be fine for the use case of what I'm focusing on one display or the other but it would be helpful to still see the other.  As for G-sync or HDR running in PBP as I'd only be doing this when working most of the feature set is unnecessarily anyways so likely wouldn't have then enabled during work hours PBP. Otherwise I'd make sure they're enabled when running singularly from my Gaming machine.

There are a bunch of issues that are mostly fixed by lowering the refresh rate to 120Hz. If that's all you need you could just aswell go for the CRG9. It's basically the same monitor but in 120Hz and with the 10-zone backlight, not the MiniLED one. Samsung is working on new firmwares but after each update there are still people with unfixed issues. I'd personally stay awayfrom any of their monitors for the forseeable future. At least until they get 1 or 2 proper releases out that are not plagued by issues.

All in all the Neo G9 has unrivaled specs and can be extremely good if it fits in your usecase and you receive a proper working one. But seeing how many don't receive working ones i'd say it's more of a gamle right now.

I currently have a 22" 1080p 60hz & 1x 24" 1080p 120hz monitor. Both were cheap and have lasted me a hell of a long time. I am now ready to seriously invest in an upgrade. My initial choice was the ASUS PG279QM which appears to me to be the best 1440p (non-ultrawide) monitor available but for 2 of them its the same price as the G9 neo for me so I started looking into the options. 

I also like to future proof myself, after running my current monitors for so long I'd like to think my replacements will have features that I can benefit from in the future hence the greater interest in the miniLED version with HDR and the local dimming advantage over the 10-zone (which honestly looks pointless). I think after reading your comments and some other factors I will wait on this until maybe January time and see how it goes, maybe i'll get the PG279QM instead.

Thank you for your comments 🙂 very helpful!