Temperature problem with processor

-TAKUMI-

Hello!

I've recently had some problems with my processor. 

The problems started after i chose to adjust my case fans after learning about optimal exhaust/intake positions. When i did this i took out my aio to get a better reach for the cables, adn then replaced it. After this my temperatures have been really high. 

I could run games that arent processor heavy, such as Overwatch, with a stable cpu temp of 40 degrees, but i cant even load up the game without the cpu going up to the 80 degree mark now. I have to done something wrong. 

One thing that im aware of that i couldve done differently is that i didnt remove the previous thermal paste with alcohol when i removed the aio, but simply wiped it off with a cloth. But i dont think there would be such a big difference in temperature if had used the alcohol, but maybe im wrong. 

I think the problem lies within the cooling of the processor, because i have a rather stable idle temperature at 35 degrees, but as soon it gets put under heavy load the temperature sky rockets. I dont think the problem comes from any sort of weird thermal paste application, since i redid it 3 times without any differing results. 

As i said, the temperatuers were normal until i chose to change stuff in the pc case.

Im not that intelligent when it comes to fixing with computers, so any help would be appreciated!

Specs:

Rtx 2070

i7-9700k

Corsair H150i aio

picture: https://imgur.com/a/9cRMyUk

1 minute ago, -TAKUMI- said:

One thing that im aware of that i couldve done differently is that i didnt remove the previous thermal paste with alcohol when i removed the aio, but simply wiped it off with a cloth. But i dont think there would be such a big difference in temperature if had used the alcohol, but maybe im wrong. 

Just to clarify, you did replace the thermal paste after wiping off the stuff on the AIO, right? I would check the mounting pressure to make sure it's making good contact with the IHS. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

I did replace it with new thermal paste, and i fastened the pump screws pretty tight.

Using alcohol to clean the thermal paste off the cpu's IHS and the AIO's water block should be fine, as long as you've cleaned it off thoroughly. 

How much thermal paste are you using in your reapplication? When you pulled it off to reapply it again, were there any spots that seemed to be lacking thermal paste? Are you cross tightening your AIO's mounting screws, or just going around clockwise or counterclockwise? You'll want to use a slightly larger than pea size dot of thermal paste placed in the middle of the IHS, as a rule of thumb. And, when tightening the water block of your AIO, you'll want to use a cross tightening pattern as to distribute pressure evenly. Also, make sure the the cloth you're using with the alcohol isn't leaving fibers on the contact surfaces.

If you've confirmed your thermal paste application is good and your mounting pressure is good, make sure you have your pump plugging in to the proper header on your motherboard, and that your radiator fans are plugged in properly. Also, of course, confirm both are working properly. 

MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus WiFi | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5 6000MHz (F5-6000J3238F16GX2) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | PSU: Corsair RM750X CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C

"Professional" Computer Technician & Network Admin

12 minutes ago, brickson98 said:

Using alcohol to clean the thermal paste off the cpu's IHS and the AIO's water block should be fine, as long as you've cleaned it off thoroughly. 

How much thermal paste are you using in your reapplication? When you pulled it off to reapply it again, were there any spots that seemed to be lacking thermal paste? Are you cross tightening your AIO's mounting screws, or just going around clockwise or counterclockwise? You'll want to use a slightly larger than pea size dot of thermal paste placed in the middle of the IHS, as a rule of thumb. And, when tightening the water block of your AIO, you'll want to use a cross tightening pattern as to distribute pressure evenly. Also, make sure the the cloth you're using with the alcohol isn't leaving fibers on the contact surfaces.

If you've confirmed your thermal paste application is good and your mounting pressure is good, make sure you have your pump plugging in to the proper header on your motherboard, and that your radiator fans are plugged in properly. Also, of course, confirm both are working properly. 

Thanks for the step-by-step guide. I actually did notice that some parts werewnt covered by the thermal paste when i re-did it last time, so i might redo it one more time and search up a guide on how to distribute pressure evenly on youtube so i do it properly! 

Update on the situation:

I redid the thermal paste and cleaned it with some alcohol, and i actually did see a difference in tempI still have a problem with my processor spiking when opening applications, i can hit temperatures of 80 when opening a game for example, but maybe thats normal.And the cpu is still noticeably hotter than before i chose to fix with my fans and stuff. All in all im probably going to leave my pc in for a check at my local pc shop because i dont want to screw things up further. Thank you all for helping my out along the way!

8 hours ago, -TAKUMI- said:

hit temperatures of 80 when opening a game for example, but maybe thats normal.

Temps spiking up when starting an application is normal. It takes more time for fans to ramp up in response. 

What rpm is the pump and fans running at?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

you no when you got a good mount when all the cores are close to each other...

althow some chip are not placed in the middle of the cpu so... could get interesting.

and some cores get used more then others for w/e reason. i think the closest core to w/e its controlling is the fastest and i guess speed is based on pc trace distance. some make all them the same length. there were talks of ram being too far away from the cpu for more performance but that's way out of what i know...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 11/6/2021 at 2:39 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Temps spiking up when starting an application is normal. It takes more time for fans to ramp up in response. 

What rpm is the pump and fans running at?

the pump is running at about 1000 rpm and fans 500 rpm. Reading further into the manual of the aio, it seems like the radiator does a better job functioning as intake than exhaust (which is the thing im doing now). Is that the problem, because the temperatur problem seemed to arise when i switched the radiator to exhale? You do push hot air through the aio. Would the placement make that much of a difference?

3 hours ago, -TAKUMI- said:

the pump is running at about 1000 rpm and fans 500 rpm. Reading further into the manual of the aio, it seems like the radiator does a better job functioning as intake than exhaust (which is the thing im doing now). Is that the problem, because the temperatur problem seemed to arise when i switched the radiator to exhale? You do push hot air through the aio. Would the placement make that much of a difference?

The pump goes up to 2850rpm. 1000rpm is very low. What header is the pump plugged into? Have you tried running it at 100%?

The mounting position of the rad and the direction of the fans can affect cooling. Top exhaust as shown in your photo is fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The pump goes up to 2850rpm. 1000rpm is very low. What header is the pump plugged into? Have you tried running it at 100%?

The mounting position of the rad and the direction of the fans can affect cooling. Top exhaust as shown in your photo is fine. 

I turned up the rpm on the radiator to no success, there were barely a difference. I also checked the connection on the manual and everything seemed good. But after all of this i still have temperature issues, even though it seems like ive checked everything. Im going to try and switch the radiator to intake as to see if it makes a difference. 

8 hours ago, -TAKUMI- said:

I turned up the rpm on the radiator to no success, there were barely a difference. I also checked the connection on the manual and everything seemed good. But after all of this i still have temperature issues, even though it seems like ive checked everything. Im going to try and switch the radiator to intake as to see if it makes a difference. 

Using the rad as intake should cool the cpu better. Did you tried reseating the cooling block? Make sure to tighten gradually in an X-pattern instead of one side before the other. 

On 11/9/2021 at 1:17 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Using the rad as intake should cool the cpu better. Did you tried reseating the cooling block? Make sure to tighten gradually in an X-pattern instead of one side before the other. 

I did try it, yes, to no different result. Im probably going to try it one last time when i eventually have time to move my fans. Ill give an update on saturday! 🙂

Update:

I did replace the thermal paste and changed the direction of the fans, and also put the radiator as intake. This has however not made a big difference, and i still have unreasonably high temperatures when gaming. I even made sure to apply the thermal paste real good, i even bought some isprpoyl alcohol to clean of the old one after applying the new paste. I might have to send my pc to a proffessional, because it seems like we have gone through all of the possible reasons for the heat. 

What's the core voltage at under load? Are you running at stock settings? 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the super late answer. The core voltage is at default, its around 1.25v, but it does jump around a lot (maybe thats normal? it fluctuates between 0.7v to 1.27v)

3 hours ago, -TAKUMI- said:

Sorry for the super late answer. The core voltage is at default, its around 1.25v, but it does jump around a lot (maybe thats normal? it fluctuates between 0.7v to 1.27v)

It's normal for the voltage to drop to reduce power draw when the system isn't under load. 1.27 isn't low but fairly normal for default settings. Is 1.27v the peak with the system under load?

How was the thermal paste spread?

On 12/17/2021 at 2:10 AM, WoodenMarker said:

It's normal for the voltage to drop to reduce power draw when the system isn't under load. 1.27 isn't low but fairly normal for default settings. Is 1.27v the peak with the system under load?

How was the thermal paste spread?

The highest i've seen it reach was 1.29v, but it usually stays under 1.27v. I have no idea how the thermal paste application went, but since i used the exact same technique ive used before, which went pretty good, im guessing it went well. I havent seen any difference in performance however.

i no there was some bad hot cpus and i thought it was the i7-9700k? or some were around there? were people ad to delid it to get temps down. i could be wrong thow

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 12/23/2021 at 6:40 AM, -TAKUMI- said:

The highest i've seen it reach was 1.29v, but it usually stays under 1.27v. I have no idea how the thermal paste application went, but since i used the exact same technique ive used before, which went pretty good, im guessing it went well. I havent seen any difference in performance however.

That's a bit higher than necessary for stock speeds but not abnormal. 

80c is fine for load temps especially if fan speeds are low. Are temps getting much higher?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 7:54 PM, WoodenMarker said:

That's a bit higher than necessary for stock speeds but not abnormal. 

80c is fine for load temps especially if fan speeds are low. Are temps getting much higher?

Oh alright. No 80c is the absolute maximum. That feels pretty good actually to hear that

4 hours ago, -TAKUMI- said:

No 80c is the absolute maximum.

Where are you getting that? Tjunction is 100c. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/186604/intel-core-i79700k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz/specifications.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 9:22 PM, WoodenMarker said:

sorry, i was trying to say that it doesnt reach a temperature above 80c. Ive fiddled with fan settings and putting the fan speed as a percentage of the processor temp has decreased the heat a bit