GPU Upgrade help, please.

transgxrl_j4yde

Currently I'm running a GTX 970 4gb GPU in my rig, however it doesn't meet the performance needs that I'm looking for in higher end games (Battlefield V, Doom Eternal, Forza Horizon 4 are a few examples). They kind of work on the current board I have but I either have to tone the graphics down or deal with the lag/stutter on faster moving gameplay. Needless to say that I'm looking to upgrade to either a 6gb or 8gb gpu. I would like to stay with Nvidia (as I've always been an Nvidia girl) and I'm not trying to spend over $500-$600 for a replacement. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Me gaming: "I am the absolute best at this game!!!!"
Also me gaming: "How the hell did I just die?!"

My Current Setup Future Upgrades

Welcome to the forums!!!

2 minutes ago, transgxrl_j4yde said:

I would like to stay with Nvidia (as I've always been an Nvidia girl) and I'm not trying to spend over $500-$600 for a replacement.

Sorry to say this, but best of luck finding a graphics card that is not ridiculously overpriced right now with the shortage still ongoing. You'll have to go with a RTX 3060/3070, depending on the graphical settings/resolution/refresh rate you're aiming to achieve. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

11 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Sorry to say this, but best of luck finding a graphics card that is not ridiculously overpriced right now with the shortage still ongoing. You'll have to go with a RTX 3060/3070, depending on the graphical settings/resolution/refresh rate you're aiming to achieve. 

I would LOVE to be able to afford an RTX 3060/70, but they are outrageously overpriced (thank you scalpers) for my likes. I've been looking on the second hand market (mainly ebay), but I'm not really sure which to get. I don't know much about GPU's and what the ratings mean with the exception of GDDR and GPU speed.

46 minutes ago, transgxrl_j4yde said:

I would like to stay with Nvidia (as I've always been an Nvidia girl) and I'm not trying to spend over $500-$600 for a replacement. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

hiiiiiiiiii, nice to meet another Trans girl in the sub.

Anyway, the GPU market is, as you say, pretty messed up. I honestly highly recommend getting anything you can at that price range, and hope that you can sell just right before the stock goes to normal.

If youre fine with waiting, then its a great idea for you to stroll around for an RTX 3070 or discounted 3070Ti (or bargain binned 3080), they usually linger at that price range. But if you gonna need one right now, its actually a good idea to snatch yourself another 970, or get on Quadro train with Quadro M4000 or P2000.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

hiiiiiiiiii, nice to meet another Trans girl in the sub.

Anyway, the GPU market is, as you say, pretty messed up. I honestly highly recommend getting anything you can at that price range, and hope that you can sell just right before the stock goes to normal.

If youre fine with waiting, then its a great idea for you to stroll around for an RTX 3070 or discounted 3070Ti (or bargain binned 3080), they usually linger at that price range. But if you gonna need one right now, its actually a good idea to snatch yourself another 970, or get on Quadro train with Quadro M4000 or P2000.

HI!!!!! *waves awkwardly*

I know! This current market it insane right now. My plan is to get something decent to get me by until the market stabilizes again (whenever that happens to be...). I'm hoping that by this time next year the 3060 will have gone down in price because that's the card I REALLY REALLY want one!!!! Thanks for the suggestions also. I'll take a look at those options and add them to the list I have going. Current options I've looked at are; GTX 1060SUPER, GTX 1070ti, RTX 1650 (eventhough it's a 4g, it still seems better than the 970 I'm running), and RTX1660. My roommate just upgraded to the 1660 SUPER(?) because she started streaming and editing stuff and she absolutely loves it.

4 hours ago, transgxrl_j4yde said:

Current options I've looked at are; GTX 1660SUPER, GTX 1070ti, GTX 1650 (eventhough it's a 4g, it still seems better than the 970 I'm running), and GTX1660.

From the GTX16 family, i would go with 1660 Super or bust, the 1660Ti rarely goes on sale deep enough to justify the value of small performance increase (i run it myself JUST RIGHT BEFORE 1660 SUPER DROPS.) and 1660 is just so close to super in price too. 1650 isnt that much of an improvement over 970, the gain really only comes from extra 512mb of VRAM that a 1650 can actually utilize (more on that in this really old Linus video on NCIX)

And 1070Ti performs very similarly to the GTX16 family with power consumption bump due to being a neck older in architecture.

In conclusion out of the 5 option, ill go with 1660 Super, with price cap in hunting them out at around 350-380$. Above that is already in scalping territory so weigh your urgency in that.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 hours ago, transgxrl_j4yde said:

I would LOVE to be able to afford an RTX 3060/70, but they are outrageously overpriced (thank you scalpers) for my likes. I've been looking on the second hand market (mainly ebay), but I'm not really sure which to get. I don't know much about GPU's and what the ratings mean with the exception of GDDR and GPU speed.

Sorry for the delay. 

If you're looking at the second hand market, a RTX 2080 Ti would be similar in performance to a RTX 3060. Problem is, prices on the second hand market are inflated since new supply of graphics cards is low and demand is still high. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

From the GTX16 family, i would go with 1660 Super or bust, the 1660Ti rarely goes on sale deep enough to justify the value of small performance increase (i run it myself JUST RIGHT BEFORE 1660 SUPER DROPS.) and 1660 is just so close to super in price too. 1650 isnt that much of an improvement over 970, the gain really only comes from extra 512mb of VRAM that a 1650 can actually utilize (more on that in this really old Linus video on NCIX)

And 1070Ti performs very similarly to the GTX16 family with power consumption bump due to being a neck older in architecture.

In conclusion out of the 5 option, ill go with 1660 Super, with price cap in hunting them out at around 350-380$. Above that is already in scalping territory so weigh your urgency in that.

Well, that explains why I got an “out of vram” notification while playing Dirt 5 at 1080p. 

Thanks again for the input! This actually helps me narrow it down to what I’ll get. At the moment I’m between a 1070 and 1660. They both look like solid options, and I’ve been reading up on the 1070 and 1660 as they’re close to what I’m looking for and the 1070 is still being recommended for people like me who can’t afford a 3060 (yet).

41 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Sorry for the delay. 

If you're looking at the second hand market, a RTX 2080 Ti would be similar in performance to a RTX 3060. Problem is, prices on the second hand market are inflated since new supply of graphics cards is low and demand is still high. 

It’s really sad too because even a second hand 2080 is MORE (in most of the listings I’ve seen) than than the 3060. I honestly can’t wait for this chip shortage to be over.