1 Bad GPU + 1 Good GPU

regzwe

Hi
Just as a Start I am new to the LTT Forum so sorry if formatting is shitty.

I came to the idea as I looked through my closet that I could use a R9 390 as my “Windows GPU” and my normal installed GPU as my main gaming GPU so that I could get the performance that I use for windows stuff like my Browser and Discord. My Discord hardware acceleration eats like 20 percent of my GPU. Does anyone have experience with that? Is it worth it?

Thanks for any input.

31 minutes ago, regzwe said:

Hi
Just as a Start I am new to the LTT Forum so sorry if formatting is shitty.

I came to the idea as I looked through my closet that I could use a R9 390 as my “Windows GPU” and my normal installed GPU as my main gaming GPU so that I could get the performance that I use for windows stuff like my Browser and Discord. My Discord hardware acceleration eats like 20 percent of my GPU. Does anyone have experience with that? Is it worth it?

Thanks for any input.

Why is discord eating 20% that seems really high.

34 minutes ago, regzwe said:

My Discord hardware acceleration eats like 20 percent of my GPU

check the core clock of your GPU while it's saying you're using 20% of it.

what most likely happens is that while there's no load, the GPU goes down to a very low clock to save power, which theoretically means it can do less work in a given time, so that does wonky stuff to the percentage figures.

currently my GPU's reading out around 30% load with just steam, chrome, and discord, but it's also running at 135MHz core frequency (take that bit with a grain of salt.. i'm pretty sure HWinfo gets less accurate around idle states...)

EDIT: to stay on topic: no, you cant do what you're trying to do. and no, it's not worth it either.

20 hours ago, manikyath said:

check the core clock of your GPU while it's saying you're using 20% of it.

what most likely happens is that while there's no load, the GPU goes down to a very low clock to save power, which theoretically means it can do less work in a given time, so that does wonky stuff to the percentage figures.

currently my GPU's reading out around 30% load with just steam, chrome, and discord, but it's also running at 135MHz core frequency (take that bit with a grain of salt.. i'm pretty sure HWinfo gets less accurate around idle states...)

EDIT: to stay on topic: no, you cant do what you're trying to do. and no, it's not worth it either.

thats the problem its while i am gaming. i am not trying to do sli or crossfire just let windows eat the low end one and my games my 2060

1 hour ago, regzwe said:

thats the problem its while i am gaming. i am not trying to do sli or crossfire just let windows eat the low end one and my games my 2060

if discord is eatingn 20% of your GPU while it's at max clock, something is wrong with your discord install. and you should fix that, instead of solving a software problem in hardware.