No bottleneck but still not performing good.

VYenemy

So i just got a laptop that has an i7 7700hq and a 1050ti and 16gb of ram. Im starting my firstgames and im kinda dissapointed (i know that the specs arent the best or well even good to be honest but im a poor army boi let me be. ). 

I started looking around that why my frames in game werent so good and i realised all my hardware is running about 70%(my cpu and gpu). i wonder why is this. If i wathc benchmark videos of this combo the hardware performs atleast like 90-100% and the performance is much better. Have i got bad hardware or is it a fixable thing with some tinkering. if it is fixable plz help. also what monitoring tools should i use.

Most laptops have different "power modes", depending on if the charger is plugged in or without. you can click on the battery symbol in the bottom right corner. 

🥦🥦

1 minute ago, broccoli27 said:

Most laptops have different "power modes", depending on if the charger is plugged in or without. you can click on the battery symbol in the bottom right corner. 

i have it on max performance and its attached to a wall basically all the time

are you going to list any of the games or any of the settings

total % usage doesn;t represent anything as far as what your machine is capable of. maybe back in the single core processors days but today its meaningless 

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

are you going to list any of the games or any of the settings

total % usage doesn;t represent anything as far as what your machine is capable of. maybe back in the single core processors days but today its meaningless 

well for example Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, World of tanks, Overwatch, CSGO, Apex legends. theese are all the games ive played and every game seams to have the same issue.

1 minute ago, VYenemy said:

well for example Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, World of tanks, Overwatch, CSGO, Apex legends. theese are all the games ive played and every game seams to have the same issue.

are you checking the settings for each game? are you checking that the switching gpu is working? what fps in what games at what settings?

Just now, emosun said:

are you checking the settings for each game? are you checking that the switching gpu is working? what fps in what games at what settings?

Well every game is on the lowest settings and they get about: Witcher 3: 30-40, Battlefield 1: 50, Wot : 50, OW:100, apex 40, csgo: 150

idk if theese are the expected framerates but they seem lower than the benchmarks. allthough i think benchmarks usually have better frames than in the real world. 

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

are you checking that the switching gpu is working?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

what is switching gpu, do you mean between the integrated graphics and the 1050ti

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

this is while im runnign bf1 those spikes are cuz i tabbed out for a second

kuva_2021-10-31_191455.png

7 minutes ago, VYenemy said:

what is switching gpu, do you mean between the integrated graphics and the 1050ti

yes are you checking that its working

Just now, emosun said:

yes are you checking that its working

yea it switches to the right gpu once i start the game

are you checking the temps on everything and making sure its not thermal throttling?

Just now, emosun said:

are you checking the temps on everything and making sure its not thermal throttling?

well idk the task manager shows maximum of 80 but once i put my cooling pad and fans to max its about 70 degrees stable

Is that the cpu or gpu , and again.... are you checking if its throttling

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

Is that the cpu or gpu , and again.... are you checking if its throttling

neither should be throtling. i checked the gpu temps are in around 70-80 and cpu is about the same

i used core temp to look at cpu temps they were max 80 on one core rest were 79 max

52 minutes ago, VYenemy said:

neither should be throtling.

so you checked the speeds of both and neither clock changes/ the reason I ask this is becuase laptops do not follow any sort of standardization or rules regarding whats considered a safe temp. if the firmware of the laptop has determined anything over 70c for example is too hot then it will reduce the speed of the cpu and gpu to bring the temps down below that. so check the clock speeds and make sure it's not changing them.

What kind of storage are you using? (HDD, SSD) this can significantly impact game performance. Please specify the model of hdd or ssd. I had situations where Adata su800 m.2 ssd tanked game perfomance.

Are your drivers up-to-date (GPU - do a clean install using DDU, Chipset, Storage etc.).

Check if there is a newer version of your BIOS. You can see the current version of drivers in dxdiag.

Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\ and select High Performance. If high performance doesn't exist here a guide to fix it.

Close unnecessary background apps.

If you have a antivirus like Bitdefender enable Game profile while running mentioned games.

Clean cache, temp files.

Last but not least if nothing helps you have the option of fresh windows install.

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

11 minutes ago, greeatzy said:

What kind of storage are you using? (HDD, SSD) this can significantly impact game performance. Please specify the model of hdd or ssd. I had situations where Adata su800 m.2 ssd tanked game perfomance.

Are your drivers up-to-date (GPU - do a clean install using DDU, Chipset, Storage etc.).

Check if there is a newer version of your BIOS. You can see the current version of drivers in dxdiag.

Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\ and select High Performance. If high performance doesn't exist here a guide to fix it.

Close unnecessary background apps.

If you have a antivirus like Bitdefender enable Game profile while running mentioned games.

Clean cache, temp files.

Last but not least if nothing helps you have the option of fresh windows install.

i have one ssd and one hdd i run my most played games on my ssd and the rest of of my hdd

for example the battlefield 1 is running on ssd. 

dxdiag it shows no problems found and i dont see anythin galerting. 

yes my gpu drivers are up to date. and the ssd is a sata i belive and so is the hdd 

edit: also yes i have the performance power plan i put that on automatically once i got this laptop.

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-31 at 21.17.24.jpeg

39 minutes ago, emosun said:

so you checked the speeds of both and neither clock changes/ the reason I ask this is becuase laptops do not follow any sort of standardization or rules regarding whats considered a safe temp. if the firmware of the laptop has determined anything over 70c for example is too hot then it will reduce the speed of the cpu and gpu to bring the temps down below that. so check the clock speeds and make sure it's not changing them.

i have to check that, what do you think how can i look on what is the limit on my laptop. 

10 minutes ago, VYenemy said:

i have one ssd and one hdd i run my most played games on my ssd and the rest of of my hdd

for example the battlefield 1 is running on ssd. 

dxdiag it shows no problems found and i dont see anythin galerting. 

yes my gpu drivers are up to date. and the ssd is a sata i belive and so is the hdd 

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-31 at 21.17.24.jpeg

What brands are the hdd and ssd, be more specific for example - Model number.

Also where is your OS installed?

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

25 minutes ago, VYenemy said:

i have to check that, what do you think how can i look on what is the limit on my laptop. 

as stated it's not standardized so you'll have to look at the clock speeds and determine at what temp they start to be reduced

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

as stated it's not standardized so you'll have to look at the clock speeds and determine at what temp they start to be reduced

Okay

31 minutes ago, greeatzy said:

What brands are the hdd and ssd, be more specific for example - Model number.

Also where is your OS installed?

the os is on my ssd and here are the models.

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-31 at 22.01.03.jpeg