HDD Waterblock, toughts? (Watercool Silentstar)

Anybody had any experiance with watercooling HDDs?
I just got a hold of 2 Watercool Silentstar dual HDD blocks for 10€ (~15$) a piece and was wondering if anybody had any experiance with theese? How much they restrict the flow, how effectively they cool etc.
If not, then any useful info on HDD watercoolers is also welcome :P

This is what it looks like...or so im told, as I havent gotten the package yet :P

Watercool Silentstar dual HDD

To anybody about to start complaining about how unessecary and expensive this is, yes I know, but at the price I got them I could hardly say no. :D I have an upcoming major build project where they'll come to good use.

Thx in advance guys! :)

Bahaha, didn't know these existed, whelp I know nothing about them, update when you got them running! :)

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

Bahaha, didn't know these existed, whelp I know nothing about them, update when you got them running! :)

Will do! thx for stopping by! :P

Quite interested in those things now, but I've never heard of HDD waterblocks before. That's just absurd

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

You will probably end up heating up your hard drives more with the heat from the water. :/

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Guess you could if you want to go balls to the walls watercooling, but in general not much of a major difference unless your running something like WD raptor 10,000rpm drives which can get quiet toasty. If cooling is a thing you could probably get an aluminium block and strap it to the HDD with some TIM pads and that usually does a better job overall in cooling.

Quite interested in those things now, but I've never heard of HDD waterblocks before. That's just absurd

apparently they've been around for quite a while, but for some reason they haven't gotten a lot of attention.

You will probably end up heating up your hard drives more with the heat from the water. :/

Hmmm, actually didn't think of that...

Right now I'm only WC the CPU, not bothering to get a gpu waterblock until I upgrade from my 6970.

Have a 480mm rad, will be adding a 240mm in my upcoming build project (I have it laying around so I figured I'd put it to use ) At the moment the CPU runs really cool so it would not be a problem, but I have no idea how much increase in wate themp a WC 230W GPU would add.

Would be interesting to know what temps would be with 480mm (thick) + 240mm(thick) rads a 125W TDP CPU and a GTX 770 (what i'm considering upgrading to). Yeah, and I'm using a Laing D5 pump and s apogee XT CPU block just to add all relevant data.

Any toughts?

Guess you could if you want to go balls to the walls watercooling, but in general not much of a major difference unless your running something like WD raptor 10,000rpm drives which can get quiet toasty. If cooling is a thing you could probably get an aluminium block and strap it to the HDD with some TIM pads and that usually does a better job overall in cooling.

As I mentioned above I got these really cheap, and I'm not expecting any miracles :) If I can get the HDD's running same temp as now (on air) but quieter I'm a happy camper. I won't have a lot of airflow in the build I'm working on, (sounds strange, I know, bear with me, I have my reasons) so waterccoling the hdd's would meke sure they don't run too hot in there. Otherwise I'd just mount a fan in front oof the HDD stack the same way I have it set up now.

What many folks don't know is that HDD's actually have a sweet spot for operating temps. That's about 35-40 degrees Celcius, and has to do with the air thickness inside, and the reading/writing head 'floating' on a super thin layer of air. What watercooling does to that, I would have no idea.... Just wanted to bring that up ;)

link to another forum about it; 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10479.0 

Hmmm, actually didn't think of that...

Right now  I'm only WC the CPU, not bothering to get a gpu waterblock until I upgrade from my 6970.

Have a 480mm rad, will be adding a 240mm in my upcoming build project (I have it laying around so I figured I'd put it to use ) At the moment the CPU runs really cool so it would not be a problem, but  I have no idea how much increase in wate themp  a WC 230W GPU would add.

Would be interesting to know what temps would be with 480mm (thick) + 240mm(thick) rads a 125W TDP CPU and a GTX 770 (what i'm considering upgrading to). Yeah, and I'm using a Laing D5 pump and s apogee XT CPU block just to add all relevant data.

Any toughts?

A 480mm rad for just your CPU? Yeah, you might as well turn 3-4 of the rad fans off most of the time if your motherboard has fan control. Just make sure to feed your RAM/GPU/VRM fresh air for cooling.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

A 480mm rad for just your CPU? Yeah, you might as well turn 3-4 of the rad fans off most of the time if your motherboard has fan control. Just make sure to feed your RAM/GPU/VRM fresh air for cooling.

I know ti's overkill, but I'd rather not have to redo the whole loop later when I upgrade, as I will be making a custom PC-desk of sorts, in the near future so I try to set up the cooling for future CFX/SLI compatibility.

I actually tried running it with fans turned off, (a guy here on the forum wanted to know if it could be done) ended up with 35C under light load, and 48-49 (20.5C ambient in botch tests)after the temp stabilised when playing Crysis 3, so for the time being it's more than enough.

Been a Noctua fanboy since before Linus started talking about them in his vids, so I don't mind having them all run, just for looks, since the sound is not noticable =)

What many folks don't know is that HDD's actually have a sweet spot for operating temps. That's about 35-40 degrees Celcius, and has to do with the air thickness inside, and the reading/writing head 'floating' on a super thin layer of air. What watercooling does to that, I would have no idea.... Just wanted to bring that up ;)

Now this sounds intreresting! :D

Thx for the link, had to look up the google study to read more in-depth about it. The only thing that bugs me is that this study was done in 2005-2006, with drives rangeing from 2001 to 2005, and capacities between 80 and 400 gigs.

I wonder if the changes in the manufacturing process has made this study obsolete or not?

In any case, thx for your imput, got me some interesting reading! :)

Now this sounds intreresting! :D

Thx for the link, had to look up the google study to read more in-depth about it. The only thing that bugs me is that this study was done in 2005-2006, with drives rangeing from 2001 to 2005, and capacities between 80 and 400 gigs.

I wonder if the changes in the manufacturing process has made this study obsolete or not?

Do yo know if there have been any more recent studys?

In any case, thx for your imput, got me some interesting reading! :)

But hey, if that's the case, then I just need to hurry up and get the gtx 770 and waterblock and hope I'll land right at the sweetspot for optimal temp for the HHD's :D