Host Planning

rewird

Good Afternoon,

We're putting in for investment soon for our product, As a result we need to quote up our hosting setup to be in a colocated center. We'll be operating out of a Tier 3 data center, with a pair of managed M270 firewalls. For main host options I was looking at getting a 2U Rack mount Server, CPU choices I'm not sure about.

- Our main workloads are compilation of code (container building & running), and as such they're quite ram intensive (most services average ~500-600mb containers).

- Our client target load is 0 - 200 clients, which will mean 200x600mb average, with bursts that can reach 2gb per client; however,  this is sequential and the max burst rate will be hard set at a maximum of 10 client bursts.

- Each client load can scale from anywhere of 200 - 600mb (so all 200 clients wouldn't be using the full 600 or so at a time)

- Storage of media assets is handled via CDN, however the container registry will be local.

- Most Services & relevant code has parallelism applied

- If ram consumption becomes a bottleneck, HDD -> vRam is an option due to the utilization rate of the product.

Options I was looking at were:

- Ryzen 7742 64c @ 128gb Ram

- Ryzen 75F3 32c @ 128gb Ram

- Ryzen 7763 64c @ 128gb Ram (More cpu cache)

Happy for Intel based suggestions, however, higher cache on the Ryzen appealed to me a bit more.

Thank you

How about renting some cloud server first, and running some benchmarks or tests on them? Should be pretty easy and cheap to test those.

What hardware? Is this dual or single socket?

Id probably get more ram if you can, esp with 32-64 cores. 

6 hours ago, rewird said:

- If ram consumption becomes a bottleneck, HDD -> vRam is an option due to the utilization rate of the product.

Swapping out is very slow, you probably don't want to do this.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How about renting some cloud server first, and running some benchmarks or tests on them? Should be pretty easy and cheap to test those.

What hardware? Is this dual or single socket?

Id probably get more ram if you can, esp with 32-64 cores. 

Swapping out is very slow, you probably don't want to do this.

Thank you for the response, we have been running on GCP to date, we're looking into a few cloud providers for the above suggestions already; however I thought I'd reach out to see if someone had some experience with similar workloads before we commit more resources to another provider (very small team at current with alot of our time  and resources already committed at 100%).

The proposed hardware is dual socket; ram is definitely a priority; noted!

Edit:

I thought about this further, this may work well enough using a simulated load; which would eliminate the overhead for us.  LTT rubber ducky +1 🙂