2-in-1 Buyers Guide Fall 2021

Hello everyone! I am a second year Computer Science student and I have been trying to decide which laptop to get for the past month. I initially wanted to get the surface pro laptop but it is so expensive and I have concerns about the keyboard as a programmer. My brothers both got surface pro's and they used them well. I would also get one if I knew that the keyboard won't annoy me after a while. I really loved the new Surface studio laptop and the Surface laptop 3 (with the detachable screen) are also very appealing to me. I am just shocked how much all laptops cost! I am currently using a restored Macbook pro 2014 13 inch with a HUION drawing pad to do my work. I love the macbook but I just need something to draw on lecture slides and do my math homework with! 

Does anyone have suggestions on what to get? Do I just have to spend a lot of money to get a good machine?

(I have a gaming computer at home so I really just need a work machine that can do coding and a bit of multitasking)

14 minutes ago, KingofChips said:

love the macbook but I just need something to draw on lecture slides and do my math homework with! 

why not keep the macbook for non-note purposes and use a much cheaper device for notes? I use a chromebook XE521QAB for non art and gaming purposes, and it has nice 2 in 1 usability on the go. It's light, has a decent stylus, and is compatible with good apps like onenote. A similar device would probably do the trick for you.

The surface laptops on the other hand would indeed be expensive, you shouldn't be surprised that premium-branded products are gonna have a price tag to reflect that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

why not keep the macbook for non-note purposes and use a much cheaper device for notes? I use a chromebook XE521QAB for non art and gaming purposes, and it has nice 2 in 1 usability on the go. It's light, has a decent stylus, and is compatible with good apps like onenote. A similar device would probably do the trick for you.

The surface laptops on the other hand would indeed be expensive, you shouldn't be surprised that premium-branded products are gonna have a price tag to reflect that.

That's actually a great idea. Two things:1  I don't know how much longer the macbook will hold up.  2 This is the last laptop my family will help me pay for (educational) so I think I could go a bit over budget. That said, I will think about your recommendation... I don't like chromebooks but if they're cheap and good for drawing then I guess they could be a solution...

9 hours ago, KingofChips said:

That's actually a great idea. Two things:1  I don't know how much longer the macbook will hold up.  2 This is the last laptop my family will help me pay for (educational) so I think I could go a bit over budget. That said, I will think about your recommendation... I don't like chromebooks but if they're cheap and good for drawing then I guess they could be a solution...

I wouldn't say a cheap chromebook is too good for drawing, if you look for a more expensive one see if reviews are suggesting it as a decent feature. Or, if you have the model in a local best buy like I did, definitely try it out beforehand.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 10/27/2021 at 7:30 AM, Fasauceome said:

I wouldn't say a cheap chromebook is too good for drawing, if you look for a more expensive one see if reviews are suggesting it as a decent feature. Or, if you have the model in a local best buy like I did, definitely try it out beforehand.

Best buy never seems to have anything in stock or in the showroom. Is there some other place to check out?