IP issues with hosting

Jimbob34

Hi, I have my Minecraft server set up on my physical server. However it doesn't have a WiFi card and I'm too far from the router, so I bridged the WiFi connection from my laptop to the physical server by conecting them through ethernet. I want to go past my DNS ( from my domain ). However both my laptop and server have the same IP adresse. Which means I can't connect. Is there anyway to configure a separate IP address ? Or some kind of solution that isn't buying a usb WiFi stick ?

If your laptop and server actually had the same IP address then they would not talk to each other, let alone out on the web. I am guessing the IP you are talking about is the one your router is presenting to the world.

I assume you are letting DHCP choose local IP addresses for you?

If you used ICS to bridge one to the other then you have a nat, you need to work out what the NAT address range is then add a default route from one to the other.

Command prompt as admin

route add clientip clientnetmask hostip

eg

route add 192,168.10.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.100

This would add a route from 192.168.10.100 out to 192.168.1.100

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Distinctly Average said:

If your laptop and server actually had the same IP address then they would not talk to each other, let alone out on the web. I am guessing the IP you are talking about is the one your router is presenting to the world.

I assume you are letting DHCP choose local IP addresses for you?

Thanks for the answer but I badly expressed myself it's the public IP. So there isn't any issues internally on the network both the laptop and server have WiFi access but because all the packets ultimately go through the laptop that means when I'm trying to host the incoming packets get blocked at the laptop ?

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

If you used ICS to bridge one to the other then you have a nat, you need to work out what the NAT address range is then add a default route from one to the other.

Command prompt as admin

route add clientip clientnetmask hostip

eg

route add 192,168.10.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.100

This would add a route from 192.168.10.100 out to 192.168.1.100

Not exactly sure if this will work but I'll try later and see. Thanks !