Beginner PC for programming(R, Statistical programming)

Stat

Budget (including currency): $2000-$2500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: focused on R programming with big data

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi, I'm super beginner about computer and I would like to ask opinion and whether I'm doing right or wrong. My main purpose is statistical analysis with R programming and what I've heard is core and ram are important. This list is what I've found so far, but I don't have any idea about especially cooler, video card and compatibility. In addition, is it possible to assemble and run them without any additional tool? I've seen I need another CPU for BIOS update but don't know what that is. How about OS? Do I need a USB? Probably, I will play some game with steam but not a main purpose. Thanks in advance!!!

image.thumb.png.4044e4502d1c75171e2d2fce12ded6bb.png

5 minutes ago, Stat said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: focused on R programming with big data

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi, I'm super beginner about computer and I would like to ask opinion and whether I'm doing right or wrong. My main purpose is statistical analysis with R programming and what I've heard is core and ram are important. This list is what I've found so far, but I don't have any idea about especially cooler, video card and compatibility. In addition, is it possible to assemble and run them without any additional tool? I've seen I need another CPU for BIOS update but don't know what that is. How about OS? Do I need a USB? Probably, I will play some game with steam but not a main purpose. Thanks in advance!!!

Swap cpu for 5800x

Ditch sata ssd for an nvme ssd like a2000 or p5

Ditch h510 cause garbage airflow and swap for a p400a or any decent mesh case

Overpriced psu, go for a msi mpg or revolution df 850w instead

Ditch w10, dont pay full price for a garbage os, though if you want a liscence get one from a site like scdkey for ~20$, even has promocodes for discounts

Otherwise it seems fine

Above the pcpartpicker list is a permalink, post this link or use the BB button to paste a formatted build list.

Standard R is single threaded. Do you plan to use any multi-thread libraries?

Are your data sets very large?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

12 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Swap cpu for 5800x

Ditch sata ssd for an nvme ssd like a2000 or p5

Ditch h510 cause garbage airflow and swap for a p400a or any decent mesh case

Overpriced psu, go for a msi mpg or revolution df 850w instead

Ditch w10, dont pay full price for a garbage os, though if you want a liscence get one from a site like scdkey for ~20$, even has promocodes for discounts

Otherwise it seems fine

Thank you for your help! This is what I got based on your advice. image.thumb.png.88dfc0d326e1b94c8c59a145a8fc885e.png

image.thumb.png.fda53718a35d1a7c62e9b4b1547fd031.png

However, there are potential issues or incompatibilities. Do I need another CPU for this? Also, I don't understand some physical dimension restriction. I appreciate your help!

12 hours ago, brob said:

Above the pcpartpicker list is a permalink, post this link or use the BB button to paste a formatted build list.

Standard R is single threaded. Do you plan to use any multi-thread libraries?

Are your data sets very large?

Thank you for letting me know! The link is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6PnC3Z . I will run some parallel code and probably use some large data just in case. Does it affect my list? Thanks a lot.

17 minutes ago, Stat said:

Thank you for letting me know! The link is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6PnC3Z . I will run some parallel code and probably use some large data just in case. Does it affect my list? Thanks a lot.

Your system is fine for the use described. 

Unless you you will be running 8 or more parallel threads, a 5600X is likely enough cpu.

I would suggest 850W is significantly more capacity than needed. A 650W should be more than enough.

You might consider getting ddr4-3600 CL16 memory. Manipulating large in-memory data sets should have better performance.

It would be nice if you could replace the HDD with an NVMe or SATA SSD.

1 hour ago, brob said:

Your system is fine for the use described. 

Unless you you will be running 8 or more parallel threads, a 5600X is likely enough cpu.

I would suggest 850W is significantly more capacity than needed. A 650W should be more than enough.

You might consider getting ddr4-3600 CL16 memory. Manipulating large in-memory data sets should have better performance.

It would be nice if you could replace the HDD with an NVMe or SATA SSD.

Thank you for your advice! Then I got warning and note here. Does it mean that I need a USB for this? or another CPU for this? I don't have any extra CPU, so I worry about that.image.thumb.png.5e8e0866796d274b7b11adfa406a454e.png

2 minutes ago, Stat said:

Thank you for your advice! Then I got warning and note here. Does it mean that I need a USB for this? or another CPU for this? I don't have any extra CPU, so I worry about that.image.thumb.png.5e8e0866796d274b7b11adfa406a454e.png

The STRIX B550-A motherboard supports BIOS Flashback which allows for updating a BIOS without a working cpu. In the unlikely event your motherboard does not have a current BIOS, you can use a usb stick to perform an update.

16 hours ago, Stat said:

Swap CPU for 5800X as Somerandomtechyboi said

Change RAM to Ripjaws V @ 3600 16-16-16-36
Choose  H510 Flow instead of regular H510
Change SSD to something like Kingston A2000/KC2500 or even Samsung 970 Evo