RTX 3080 lower than expected and inconsistent frame rate

hangontoyourego

Hello! I’m seeking advice on how to improve my gaming experience on my build featuring an RTX 3080. While I’m very fortunate to own a 30 series card, my experience so far has not been on par with other lucky 3080 owners. 

Across a variety of games, I experience very inconsistent frame rates. Games appear to stutter, and when I view the actual FPS using an overlay, it confirmed my suspicions. Here are some ranges for the frame rates in a few different game I played recently, as well as benchmark software that I downloaded to compare to similar systems. All software is running at 1440p at high or ultra settings. I can give more specific settings/info for each title if needed.

GTA V: 39-82 FPS

Kingdom Hearts III: 40-122 FPS

Yakuza 0: 63-102 FPS

Mario Galaxy (Dolphin emulator, Upscaled to 1440p with anti-aliasing): 25-60 FPS

Flight Simulator 2020: 19-55 FPS

Heaven Benchmark: 80-110 FPS

My PC specs are as follows:

RTX 3080 Founders Edition

Core i7 10700K overclocked to 5.1 GHz

MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi

2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix at 3200 MHz

1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD

Corsair RM 850X PSU

Windows 10 Home

So far, I’ve tried reinstalling the Nvidia graphics drivers, disabled CPU OC and XMP, and even performed a clean install of windows, but nothing seems to have changed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your reply @BetteBalterZen 

The GPU core clock remains pretty consistent across those titles around 1800 MHz, sometimes dipping into the 1700s. The GPU core temp usually remains around 73C, but can vary between 63C and 78C depending on the game. 

My case is a Fractal Design R6 with the stock fan layout (2 140mm front intake fans and 1 140mm exhaust). My CPU cooler is the Noctua Chromax black twin tower with two 140 mm fans. My CPU shows 20-30% utilization in most games, and stays around 50-60C.