Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSU recommendations (Corsair HX-1000 April 2010 needs replacing)

Hi all

 

Currently running the below system. I'm experiencing random shutdowns under high load / graphics card crashes on this system when gaming. The PSU may be borked / unable to handle the FTW3 3080 load (seemed to handle the XC3 3080 I had before fine).  This has been annoying but not annoying enough for me to drop many additional cash on my gaming PC.  Then the PSU in my server / HTPC died and I decided that I would migrate my HX-1000 to that system - hence I need a replacement for my primary PC.

 

As you can see from my current system list at the bottom of the post, the PSU is more than 10 years old so it's probably time. Not listed below are:

  • 2 x spinning rust (both 5400rmp);
  • 1 x SATA SSD, 1 x NVME SSD; and
  • 5 case fans: (2 supplied with the H115i, an Arctic P14 and two Silverstone AP181).

 

Other Information

  • Location: I am in Australia.
  • Budget: I don't have a maximum on budget but would rather not go overkill. Thinking around the $300 AUD range.
  • Form Factor / Current Case: ATX. Carbide 540. PSU size isn't an issue in the case, it lives in a chamber behind the motherboard.
  • Upgrading?: I will be looking to replace the platform (8600K) in the future but not urgently. I feel PSUs are pretty standard and if anything general consumer / gaming platforms are only getting more efficient / less power hungry.

 

Questions

 

What PSU would you recommend I replace the HX-1000 with? 

 

Questions other than what to buy:

  1. The FTW3 3080 takes 3 x 8 pin. I had a browse on PcPartsPicker and noticed many PSUs only offer 6+2 connections. I understand that this won't be an issue however for the case of aesthetics, are there any PSUs that provide that many 8 pin PCI-E power cables? The HX-1000 has 4;
  2. on the topic of aesthetics, I currently have home made sleeved cables from back in the MDPC days. Not really looking to do that again (don't have as much free time now as I did then). Are there any particular manufactures that have models with already sleeved cables or sell reasonably priced kits, or is CableMod the best out of the box solution?

Current System

Part Purchase date
Corsair HX-1000 30/4/2010
i5 8600K 27/10/18
ROG Strix Z370-G 27/10/18
Corsair 16GB 27/10/18
Corsair 32GB 28/11/19
Dell 30 3008WFP 8/9/09
Acer Predator XB241H 4/11/16
Dell S2721DGF 23/4/21
eVGA FTW3 3080 23/4/21
Corsair H115i Capellix 19/5/21

 

Cheers!

Edited by svgnnblnc
Additional power draw items.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, jaslion said:

You forgot the msi mpg 850w and Enermax revolution d.f. 850w usually the most budget friendly units that are top of the line too.

I don't recommand non switchable 12v multirail PSUs with high-end GPUs as long as I've seen issues with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

I don't recommand non switchable 12v multirail PSUs with high-end GPUs as long as I've seen issues with it.

But both are multirail designs and work totally fine with any system rn?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

But both are multirail designs and work totally fine with any system rn?

If they came with 3 seperate PCI-e cables I consider a recommandation but they only come with two. Like i said, I've seen issues with that PSUs and high-end GPUs with three 8 pin powersockets (3080 FTW, 3080Ti, 3090)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

If they came with 3 seperate PCI-e cables I consider a recommandation but they only come with two. Like i said, I've seen issues with that PSUs and high-end GPUs with three 8 pin powersockets (3080 FTW, 3080Ti, 3090)

The msi mpg comes with 3 6+2 pin cables. The revolution does the same. They have no trouble powering a 3090.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The msi mpg comes with 3 6+2 pin cables. The revolution does the same. They have no trouble powering a 3090.

 

You're right.

 

The MSI is an option but I don't like the fan noise. it's always audible. Leadex III is dead silent for only $7 more.

As for as I can see Enermax Rev. D.F. is not available in AU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, svgnnblnc said:

Is there any reason the plan RM 850w didn't make the short-list

Because Leadex III is slightly better and a bit cheaper.

 

16 minutes ago, svgnnblnc said:

but the RMx did

In fact, RM850x is not very interesting since the HX850 Platinum is cheaper and better. Forget the RM850x Only RM1000x is considerable if you want 1000w.

 

So in my opinion there are 3 options within your budget. Leadex III, HX850 and RM1000x.

 

20 minutes ago, svgnnblnc said:

Just in terms of switchable 12v multirail - is there a recommended configuration when it comes to a 3080?

Single rail mode because 3080 FTW3 is huge power demanding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, svgnnblnc said:

Hi all

 

Currently running the below system. I'm experiencing random shutdowns under high load / graphics card crashes on this system when gaming. The PSU may be borked / unable to handle the FTW3 3080 load (seemed to handle the XC3 3080 I had before fine).  This has been annoying but not annoying enough for me to drop many additional cash on my gaming PC.  Then the PSU in my server / HTPC died and I decided that I would migrate my HX-1000 to that system - hence I need a replacement for my primary PC.

An HX1000 should have absolutely no problem running that graphics card.

 

How are you sure the problem is the PSU and not something else?  Can you at least borrow a PSU to see if the PSU fixes the problem before wasting money on another PSU?

 

Are you using three separate PCIe cables?  Are you using extensions?  Is your BIOS the most up to date (this is the most common problem with Ampere cards not working in certain motherboards)?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

An HX1000 should have absolutely no problem running that graphics card.

They're talking about the old HX from 2010.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

They're talking about the old HX from 2010.

Yeah.  I gathered that, but still....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  I gathered that, but still....

 

It’s the oldest part of my system so I figured it could use an upgrade to something that’s not 10 years old. It will be reused in another system with much lower power requirements - so replacing it is not a waste, it’s more of a lazy way of ensuring that my system is not too advanced in age while repairing a dead system. 
 

Fairly certain the bios is up to date and I’m not using extensions. Yes three separate 8pin cables. 
 

I would investigate further but another system needs a PSU so I’m using the opportunity to replace. 

Edited by svgnnblnc
Addition comment.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, svgnnblnc said:

It’s the oldest part of my system so I figured it could use an upgrade to something that’s not 10 years old. It will be reused in another system with much lower power requirements - so replacing it is not a waste, it’s more of a lazy way of ensuring that my system is not too advanced in age while repairing a dead system. 
 

Fairly certain the bios is up to date and I’m not using extensions. Yes three separate 8pin cables. 
 

I would investigate further but another system needs a PSU so I’m using the opportunity to replace. 

Yeah.  It is the oldest part and no PSU lasts forever.  So you might as well give it a shot.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Again another user who wants to cheap out on PSU..makes me so angry...

 

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×