My first build

GooneyePieg

I have never owned a desktop PC before, and I am planning on building one soon. I have not ordered the parts yet, but I don't know if I should get Intel 12th gen when it comes out instead a Ryzen 5950x. Here are the parts of the PC:

Case: Corsair 1000D RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II 

CPU: Ryzen 5950x 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal Elite 32 GB 

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB 

GPU: RTX 3090 FE 

PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 850 Certified 850W Fully-Modular RGB Power Supply with LiveDash OLED Panel 

Gaming thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste 

Cooling: Hydro X Series iCUE XH305i RGB Custom Cooling Kit 

Does anyone have any advice for the build or changes to the list I should make? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, GooneyePieg said:

I have never owned a desktop PC before, and I am planning on building one soon. I have not ordered the parts yet, but I don't know if I should get Intel 12th gen when it comes out instead a Ryzen 5950x. Here are the parts of the PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5950x 

PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 850 Certified 850W Fully-Modular RGB Power Supply with LiveDash OLED Panel 

Gaming thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste 

Does anyone have any advice for the build or changes to the list I should make? Thanks!

i would recomend a aio for the first time

custom cooling is something very hard and expensive

on single mistake everything gone

get a WD-SN850 it is much better

trident z royal elite is a no no because it is expensive for looking good

getting a adata xpg spectrix longdimm 3600mhz is much better 

for that ram price you can get 64gb of adata xpg spectrix longdimm 3600mhz!!

a lian li lancool mesh 2 is good because there are 3 argb fans and it is cheaper!! and more airflow

no need of rgb in psu!!

get a rm850

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

What are you planning on doing with this PC, and do you have a budget? Almost all of this seems like it's way more overkill than you probably need.

The Strix X570-E, for example, is a motherboard designed for very high overclocking. Since this is your first build, you probably aren't gonna be overclocking, and it doesn't look like you'll need the benefits of X570 anyway, so getting something like the B550 Tomahawk is probably a better option. 

The 980 Pro is another example of something that is overkill for basically everyone. Coming from someone who owns a 980 Pro (500GB rather than a 2TB, but close enough), I can barely notice the differences between it and a SATA SSD, let alone a Gen 3 SSD like a 970 Evo. I've used both, and genuinely can't tell the difference.

1 minute ago, my name is guru iam tech said:

custom cooling is something very hard and expensive

on single mistake everything gone

I do agree with you that it's probably not something you want to do on your first PC build, but you're overselling the dangers on here. OP clearly doesn't really care about budget based on the rest of the specs of the system, and while yes it does add extra complexities, it's not really that hard. And while a mistake can take everything with it, it has to be a pretty dumb mistake. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What are you planning on doing with this PC, and do you have a budget? Almost all of this seems like it's way more overkill than you probably need.

The Strix X570-E, for example, is a motherboard designed for very high overclocking. Since this is your first build, you probably aren't gonna be overclocking, and it doesn't look like you'll need the benefits of X570 anyway, so getting something like the B550 Tomahawk is probably a better option. 

The 980 Pro is another example of something that is overkill for basically everyone. Coming from someone who owns a 980 Pro (500GB rather than a 2TB, but close enough), I can barely notice the differences between it and a SATA SSD, let alone a Gen 3 SSD like a 970 Evo. I've used both, and genuinely can't tell the difference.

I do agree with you that it's probably not something you want to do on your first PC build, but you're overselling the dangers on here. OP clearly doesn't really care about budget based on the rest of the specs of the system, and while yes it does add extra complexities, it's not really that hard. And while a mistake can take everything with it, it has to be a pretty dumb mistake. 

yes i agree with you

but is my recomendations good?

eventhough i have posted 422 posts 

iam not tthat expeirienced like yu and yea no need of x570

i think so he is going to need a no compromise pc

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

8 minutes ago, my name is guru iam tech said:

yes i agree with you

but is my recomendations good?

eventhough i have posted 422 posts 

iam not tthat expeirienced like yu and yea no need of x570

i think so he is going to need a no compromise pc

I mean, most of what you said is good. There are things I don't personally agree with, like I'd personally rather have a 980 Pro rather than an SN850 since I trust Samsung reliability more, but that's personal preference. I agree with you generally, not on specifics, but there are reasons to go with what you recommended. 

Also a little more context for saying water cooling isn't that bad for your first system: the first computer I built for myself was custom water cooled. It took two days to assemble because I couldn't get the dual 360mm rads to fit in (I eventually gave up on the mounting holes and mounted the radiator crooked, a couple fans only had one screw in them), but it got done and was a very nice system for the two years that I ran it. Granted, I had helped a friend build his computer, so I had an idea of what I was doing, but still, I was a pretty inexperienced builder at the time and didn't have any issues (besides buying 3/8" ID tubing for 1/2" ID fittings, would not recommend)

3 hours ago, GooneyePieg said:

Overpriced trash

X570E is a workstation board cause its x570, unless you run dual gpus and/or more than 1 gen4 ssd its completely useless, go for a b550 tomahawk or gaming carbon wifi instead

Tridentz royal is overclocking ram, extremely stupid choice unless you intend on overclocking the absolute crap out of it which isnt likely since you are a first timer, go for the cheapest 3200mhz cl16 kit you can find (~110$ silicon power) and overclock it slightly to 3600mhz

Rog psu is just a rebrand of some other psu, iirc its a seasonic psu rebrand, dont pay stupid amounts of money for a rebranded psu, since you clearly dont care about budget you can prob just shove a 1200w hxi psu and call it a day so you wont have to replace your psu in the next decade or 2

Case is only if you are doing a show build for a build competition or intend on using alot and i mean alot of rads for overclocking, otherwise it is completely uneccesary and you are better off getting a p500a digital or enthoo pro (2)

3 hours ago, GooneyePieg said:

Uneccesary

980 pro is completely overkill unless you are regularly transferring massive files, go for a much cheaper gen4 ssd such as rocket 4.0 or z440 for futureproofing

Unless you are actually using it as a workstation or 8k gaming, 3090 is completely overkill and it will be obselete by the time the next gen comes around, go for a 3080(ti) instead

AS5 is overrated and completely outdated, gets smushed by arctic mx4, go for said mx4 or mx5 instead or you can go for kryonaut or kpx if you are looking for the best thermal paste (uneccesary unless overclocking)

Pretty sure custom loop is gonna be a massive pain in the ass, esp for a beginner, even worse if youve gone for hard tubing, so i suggest getting an aio instead like the liquid freezer 360/420