Need Help with Fans

Kaboom714
Go to solution Solved by Kaboom714,
14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The basic explanation is the delay before it actually reads data from the memory (not exactly but close enough). True memory speed is a function of the frequency and the CAS Latency. I forget the exact equation for calculating it is, but practically speaking 3200MHz CL16 and 3600MHz CL18 are almost identical. For real world numbers, the difference in performance between 3600MHz CL16 and CL18 are about 5% depending on the workload. For an iGPU system, faster memory is more important, so 3600MHz CL16 is about as slow as I'd recommend.

That makes sense. So what would you do about the fans I have? Do I necessarily need the controller for the RGB to work?

Budget (including currency): without gpu: $950

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Overwatch, Valorant, & SCP Secret Laboratory

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is my current parts list. My Custom Build - Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core, H510 ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker I like where it's at right now but I am not sure how to pick out my fans. I really like the Cooler Master Sickleflow 120 mm RGB cuz it's not expensive and has some good rgb, also the reviews on it are pretty good. Anything you would change in the parts list?

There are a couple things I'd change about the parts list. 

1.) You're probably better off getting a 5600G instead of an 11600k, the same price, better graphics, similar performing CPU, and cheaper motherboards

2.) You can get faster memory for the same price, even if you really want RGB.

3.) The H510 has basically no airflow so temps will be fairly high, you're better off getting a better case like the Phanteks P400a or the Corsair 4000D Airflow. If you really like the looks of the H510, at least get the Flow edition of it. 

4.) Get a tower cooler rather than a 120MM AIO. A decent tower cooler like the Sythe Fuma 2 will perform about the same, probably better for less money. If you care about RGB, get an RGB fan for one of those tower coolers.

Yeah I was going to go with the 4000D but decided to have a look at the H510

1 minute ago, Kaboom714 said:

How is the Noctua NH-L9?

It's a good cooler, considering it's low profile. There are better coolers for similar amounts of money since you don't need a low profile cooler, like the Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB, Arctic Freezer 34, Vetroo V5, Sythe Mugen 5, etc.

11 minutes ago, Kaboom714 said:

Yeah I was going to go with the 4000D but decided to have a look at the H510

Go for the 4000D, it's a much better designed and built case.

also quote me so I get a notification

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

It's a good cooler, considering it's low profile. There are better coolers for similar amounts of money since you don't need a low profile cooler, like the Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB, Arctic Freezer 34, Vetroo V5, Sythe Mugen 5, etc.

Go for the 4000D, it's a much better designed and built case.

also quote me so I get a notification

I took your advice and put this parts list together. What do you think? My Custom Build #2 - Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core, 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Just now, Kaboom714 said:

I never understood that tbh. What does CL16 or CL18 mean?

The basic explanation is the delay before it actually reads data from the memory (not exactly but close enough). True memory speed is a function of the frequency and the CAS Latency. I forget the exact equation for calculating it is, but practically speaking 3200MHz CL16 and 3600MHz CL18 are almost identical. For real world numbers, the difference in performance between 3600MHz CL16 and CL18 are about 5% depending on the workload. For an iGPU system, faster memory is more important, so 3600MHz CL16 is about as slow as I'd recommend.

That makes sense. So what would you do about the fans I have? Do I necessarily need the controller for the RGB to work?

9 minutes ago, Kaboom714 said:

The fans are fine. I'm not a big fan guy, so I don't know all the ins and outs of all the different RGB fans, but they should move enough air to be fine. 

As for RGB, I'm the same, but know enough to give basic advice. They don't come with a controller so you'll have to use your own. Luckily, that board should have an ARGB header or two, but in order to power all 3 of those fans, odds are you'll need an ARGB splitter. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The fans are fine. I'm not a big fan guy, so I don't know all the ins and outs of all the different RGB fans, but they should move enough air to be fine. 

As for RGB, I'm the same, but know enough to give basic advice. They don't come with a controller so you'll have to use your own. Luckily, that board should have an ARGB header or two, but in order to power all 3 of those fans, odds are you'll need an ARGB splitter. 

So do you need a controller if it has an aRGB header?

Just now, Kaboom714 said:

So do you need a controller if it has an aRGB header?

nope, but you might need a splitter if you've got more devices than headers.

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

so since I am going to use 3 rgb fans and I have 2 rgb connectors on the mobo, I would need 1 splitter right?

And for the 4-pin connectors on the fans I just daisy chain them?

I personally like this list more, as it'll have more computing power, more logical cooling (no need for an overpriced AIO, rather get a good RGB air cooler. IF you really want an AIO, get the Arctic liquid freezer II 240mm A-RGB.

I agree with the previous requirements for Ram, 3600MHz Cl16 is a good choice here.

For SSD's, don't get the cheapest one, as an SSD with Cache will be more snappier and have more longevity. Take a look at the SSD tier list in the forum.

For fans:

I myself bought 2 of the Arctic ones and I am very satisfied. They are daisychainable, have 2 connectors each. So one input and one motherboard connector for PWM and A-RGB.

And with the Liquid freezer II you'll have the same look across the whole PC.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xMK8LP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($40.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.95 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($74.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Crucial P5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.07 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST A-RGB 0dB 48.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($50.00) 
Total: $882.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-20 02:45 EDT-0400

Oh, and if you want Wifi, I'd suggest getting an add in card. There's one from Gigabyte for 35$ that has Wifi 6. So less then a more expensive Motherboard with included wifi. And with the full ATX board you'll have the slots to add one.