Pimping My Rig - Upgrades to Trick it Out

catdette

Budget (including currency): $1500 CAD - $2000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Final Fantasy XIV, Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, Doom, Monster Hunter: World, DaVinci Resolve, Streaming (using Streamlabs OBS), Photoshop

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Alright, so I built this PC a little over a year ago (my first build!), and I'm looking at doing some upgrades to try and squeeze that little bit more performance out of it.

Now's not a great time for that, I know (gods, do I ever know), but I've got the itch to do more, and I'm trying to sort out where to start.

I'm rocking the specs here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rtvJXb, and am thinking that the PSU, GPU, and CPU in particular are fine, but definitely open to suggestions for whatever people would recommend.

No peripherals needed right now, with a new keyboard and headset already on the list, but anything else is fair game!

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X@3.9GHz | ROG Strix X570-E Gaming | 64GB Trident Z RGB DDR4 3600 CL18 | 1TB Firecuda 520 | 2TB 870 QVO | 2TB Barracuda Compute | ASUS Dual OC RTX 3070
Caffeine?  Yes, please.

Tbh the only part currently that would boost performance rather significantly would be upgrading the GPU. I currently have a 3700x with a 2070 and am still, for the most part, gpu bottlenecked. For you, I'd go for something like a 3060ti or higher, as that has about as much performance as a 2080S. Your cpu can definitely handle more GPU power. Other than that, everything else seems to be pretty good and future proof. Also, if you're doing any overclocking, you'll probably want to change out the default CPU cooler with something a little more robust. Hope this helps 👍

Just buy a new GPU:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/zsmmP6/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-lhr-10-gb-ftw3-ultra-gaming-lhr-video-card-10g-p5-3897-kl

And remove the piece that obstructs the intake fans for better airflow:

31jdHy4Py8L.jpg

Should look like this:

41kPVEfSTsL.jpg

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

33 minutes ago, catdette said:

Budget (including currency): $1500 CAD - $2000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Final Fantasy XIV, Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, Doom, Monster Hunter: World, DaVinci Resolve, Streaming (using Streamlabs OBS), Photoshop

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Alright, so I built this PC a little over a year ago (my first build!), and I'm looking at doing some upgrades to try and squeeze that little bit more performance out of it.

Now's not a great time for that, I know (gods, do I ever know), but I've got the itch to do more, and I'm trying to sort out where to start.

I'm rocking the specs here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rtvJXb, and am thinking that the PSU, GPU, and CPU in particular are fine, but definitely open to suggestions for whatever people would recommend.

No peripherals needed right now, with a new keyboard and headset already on the list, but anything else is fair game!

From my perspective, you have a great pc with a great airflow. The only thing I see you can upgrade to get more performance is the obvious- your GPU. A 3060 or a 3060 ti will probably be the best for your setup but keep in mind that with the current prices you'll have to sell a kidney.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

thumb_0-19-if-youre-homeless-just-buy-a-

The GPU would improve performance, but at what cost?

But he has a Noctua U12.

My B, didn't see that in the listing. Then yeah, the only thing he would need to upgrade for instant better performance would be a gpu.......but let's be honest, that might not happen any time soon 😞

17 minutes ago, Kylixion said:

My B, didn't see that in the listing. Then yeah, the only thing he would need to upgrade for instant better performance would be a gpu.......but let's be honest, that might not happen any time soon 😞

She*

And yeah, I'm not relishing the prospect of what the market's going to be for a GPU... At last check, nVidia cards are near impossible to find on Newegg unless I aim for a 3080 and up, although I was able to find some RX 6000 series Radeon cards (6700 XT in particular) in stock.  Thankfully the odds aren't entirely stacked against me, but I will forever curse the semiconductor shortage for making this harder than it needs to be.

46 minutes ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Since you're a streamer, would an Elgato Stream Deck be of much use to you?

It would!  Right now I have iCue set up to hand off mapping the G keys on my keyboard to the Stream Deck software for the same effect, but having a dedicated unit would make my life so much easier.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X@3.9GHz | ROG Strix X570-E Gaming | 64GB Trident Z RGB DDR4 3600 CL18 | 1TB Firecuda 520 | 2TB 870 QVO | 2TB Barracuda Compute | ASUS Dual OC RTX 3070
Caffeine?  Yes, please.

28 minutes ago, Ilai301207 said:

From my perspective, you have a great pc with a great airflow. The only thing I see you can upgrade to get more performance is the obvious- your GPU. A 3060 or a 3060 ti will probably be the best for your setup but keep in mind that with the current prices you'll have to sell a kidney.

Bah, I only need one 😆

(but for real, don't sell those, kids)

Caffeine?  Yes, please.

4 minutes ago, catdette said:

Bah, I only need one 😆

(but for real, don't sell those, kids)

Bruh already sold mine 😳😤😤

I would re-iterate what someone else said... but more. Upgrade the gpu, but get a bundle. Upgrade that storage a bit more too. Replace the wd blue NON-NVME with the msi 2tb m.2 nvme ssd, and gpu. yep. 🙂

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4358054

You'll have to re-format your computer, but just get an external HDD (if you don't have one already).

https://www.amazon.ca/Passport-Portable-External-Drive-Black/dp/B07VTFN6HM/

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

• 1 year later...

Age old update here, but did some upgrades at long, long last now that the market is sane again.

Got rid of the WD Blue, added an 870 QVO for a Steam library (keeping my Firecuda 520 for a boot drive), went to 64GB of RAM (my use case has evolved and proven this very necessary), and got my hands on a 3070, all without having to sell a kidney.

Ah, to be able to get parts at sane prices again...

Caffeine?  Yes, please.