PC shut down while playing.

Good day everyone, 

I have a particular situation where I recently added an AIO to my system and starting to have shutdowns. I have underclock my GPU a little bit and it seems to work fine; I am still puzzled on to where this extra power draw is coming from and causing my psu to trip. 

My system (before the upgrade):

- Ryzen 5 3600 - not overclocked

- Stock cooler - Wraith stealth

- Crucial LPX 16 GB 3200Mhz

- GTX 1080 - not overclocked

- PSU: Thermaltake powerlite 550W

- BX500 SSD - 256 GB

- Seagate HDD 7200 rpm - 1TB

- Segotep 120 mm fan

- slim fan (generic) - 120 mm - came with the case

- Arctic 80 mm F8 fan (non-PWM)

- VR - Quest 2 through link cable. 

- Motherboard is Aorus pro wifi itx

- PC case is sharkoon C10 (ITX)

- from online calculators, the average power comes to around 340 watts

I upgraded my stock cooler to the AIO arctic freezer II 120 - It has the pump, a small VRM fan and an Arctic P 12 fan and I removed the generic 120 mm fan. 

At times when I load shadow of the tomb raider or ms flight sim, the pc would shuts down. I checked the wiring and all seemed fine. It does not shut down during normal workloads (youtube, illustrator, etc) 

I have underclock the GPU to 950 mV and it seems to be stable - no more shutdowns. 

I have a few questions here: 

- The extra power loads (after the cooler change) is from the AIO - and it should be negligible. 

- Since the PSU is at 550W (no rating), is it not sufficient to cater for this load and occasional spikes. ?

- Anyone has experience with thermaltake powerlite psu ? Am I at risk of losing my system in case the PSU blows off.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Skyvertical said:

Good day everyone, 

I have a particular situation where I recently added an AIO to my system and starting to have shutdowns. I have underclock my GPU a little bit and it seems to work fine; I am still puzzled on to where this extra power draw is coming from and causing my psu to trip. 

- BX500 SSD - 256 GB

- Segotep 120 mm fan

I upgraded my stock cooler to the AIO arctic freezer II 120 - It has the pump, a small VRM fan and an Arctic P 12 fan and I removed the generic 120 mm fan. 

At times when I load shadow of the tomb raider or ms flight sim, the pc would shuts down. I checked the wiring and all seemed fine. It does not shut down during normal workloads (youtube, illustrator, etc) 

I have underclock the GPU to 950 mV and it seems to be stable - no more shutdowns. 

- The extra power loads (after the cooler change) is from the AIO - and it should be negligible. 

- Since the PSU is at 550W (no rating), is it not sufficient to cater for this load and occasional spikes. ?

- Anyone has experience with thermaltake powerlite psu ? Am I at risk of losing my system in case the PSU blows off.

Thanks

Does it actually shut down, by showing the blue screen? or just instant shutdown? and power loss?

5 minutes ago, Skyvertical said:

Good day everyone, 

- BX500 SSD - 256 GB

- Segotep 120 mm fan

Thanks

PSU blows off,  how?

ehm itll handle the load of 550 theoretically, but I'm not so sure with powersupplies and rating what they mean, but yes it should work, it often means that it can be less unstable if a spike (don't kil me if i'm wrong)

3 hours ago, AxS said:

Does it actually shut down, by showing the blue screen? or just instant shutdown? and power loss?

Yes, it shuts down. Like complete power down. I believe it triggered protection circuits in the PSU. I need to start my pc again, and everything works fine. 

3 hours ago, AxS said:

PSU blows off,  how?

ehm itll handle the load of 550 theoretically, but I'm not so sure with powersupplies and rating what they mean, but yes it should work, it often means that it can be less unstable if a spike (don't kil me if i'm wrong)

Yeah, I also thought that. Before upgrading to the AIO, I never encountered this problem. And the AIO in itself is not a bigger load, the fans also do not add much load. I am struggling to understand the limits of this PSU. 

Anyway undervolting was good, surprisingly i got better visual quality in my games ! and temps too ! 

4 hours ago, Skyvertical said:

Yes, it shuts down. Like complete power down. I believe it triggered protection circuits in the PSU. I need to start my pc again, and everything works fine. 

Okay, it could be a graphics card that is soon to die (i think). Or it could be also the computer drawing too much power in spikes so it trips the overcurrent protection and kills it to protect from overcurrent

5 hours ago, Skyvertical said:

Yeah, I also thought that. Before upgrading to the AIO, I never encountered this problem. And the AIO in itself is not a bigger load, the fans also do not add much load. I am struggling to understand the limits of this PSU. 

Anyway undervolting was good, surprisingly i got better visual quality in my games ! and temps too ! 

Okay not fully sure wuth that

A complete shutdown means you're triggering the PSU's overload protection. The average continues current listed by the manufacturers of both PSU, CPU and GPU manufacturers are just that, averages. Unfortunatly it's not that simple. Sometimes your GPU or CPU will draw way more power than it is rated for in a very short time. If your PSU can't handle that it will shut down and power off the device with it in order to protect itself and the rest of your components.

Edit: Don't worry, as long as you don't have a gigabyte power supply and a powersupply from a reputable manufacturer (thermaltake is decent enough I think) your components are not at risk for blowing up. Your data is though if your disk is writing a file at the moment of the shut down. That file might be lost for ever since it couldn't complete the write.

Edited by 07_Sev