Is my PSU dying?

Bobbysixjp
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

If the PC shut itself off multiple times, there's probably something wrong with the PSU. That PSU is powerful enough to handle a 3080, but it's possible you got a bad unit. I'd probably try to RMA it if I were you.

I have just installed a new 3080 GPU and was playing Watch Dogs Legion and my PC suddenly starts switching itself off. It happened 2-3 times and I assumed it might have been my GPU overclock being too aggressive. So I disconnected my GPU and plugged the monitor cable into the motherboard - the PC turned on but I heard a strange sound which sounded like a fan whirring (something that I have never heard before). I immediately shut down my PC and removed my PSU (a Corsair RM 850x). There was no bang or burning smell so I assume that the PSU has not blown so my components are fine. 

So I take it that my PSU is likely on its way out which is a bit shocking seeing as it is only 2 years old? I have another one on the way (ASUS ROG STRIX 850g) so I will try it out and see what happens. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

If the PC shut itself off multiple times, there's probably something wrong with the PSU. That PSU is powerful enough to handle a 3080, but it's possible you got a bad unit. I'd probably try to RMA it if I were you.

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah I’m going to try this. But I don’t really trust Corsair anymore especially if the unit can fail after only two years. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |

5 hours ago, Bobbysixjp said:

ASUS ROG STRIX 850g

Lol, it's inferiour to RM850x with bad fan and crappy heatsinks.

47 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Lol, it's inferiour to RM850x with bad fan and crappy heatsinks.

Do you have a review for this?

Mhz |

So let me get this straight. Your PC was restarting, which is very unlikely to be a PSU issue (unless it's actual hard shutdown with PSU latching off). Then you've moved/tinkered with the PC and at the next turn-on some fan started making noises which weren't there before that, it may be PSU or may be not, isn't clear. And the fact that the noise wasn't there before means that it's not a sudden failure but the fan hitting something, probably some kind of wire or debris that got in the way. And this all is somehow Corsair PSU failing and you 'don't trust it anymore'. The hell ?

And yes, ASUS STRIX G is inferior to RM-x in every way, it's inferior even to it's OEM platform - Seasonic Focus. Just a rebrand with cheaper fan, gimmicky heatsinks that might actually make thermals worse and ASUS tax to add.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

27 minutes ago, Juular said:

So let me get this straight. Your PC was restarting, which is very unlikely to be a PSU issue (unless it's actual hard shutdown with PSU latching off). Then you've moved/tinkered with the PC and at the next turn-on some fan started making noises which weren't there before that, it may be PSU or may be not, isn't clear. And the fact that the noise wasn't there before means that it's not a sudden failure but the fan hitting something, probably some kind of wire or debris that got in the way. And this all is somehow Corsair PSU failing and you 'don't trust it anymore'. The hell ?

And yes, ASUS STRIX G is inferior to RM-x in every way, it's inferior even to it's OEM platform - Seasonic Focus. Just a rebrand with cheaper fan, gimmicky heatsinks that might actually make thermals worse and ASUS tax to add.

Actually it was a hard shutdown going from playing a game like normal to completely off in the matter of a second. 

Mhz |

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-strix-750w-power-supply-review

Just a Seasonic Focus, which has issues with high end GPUs, with a downgraded fan and heatsinks

It’s not this one - it’s the 850g model.

Mhz |

4 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

it’s the 850g model.

750g and 850g are the same. Don't know why people buy asus rog thor or strix, they are pretty bad. asus tuf psus are decent but usually overpriced for what they are

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

6 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

750g and 850g are the same. Don't know why people buy asus rog thor or strix, they are pretty bad. asus tuf psus are decent but usually overpriced for what they are

Plenty of bad reviews for the RM 850x on Amazon too. 

Mhz |

52 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Actually it was a hard shutdown going from playing a game like normal to completely off in the matter of a second. 

In a matter of seconds ? You make it sound like OS initiated forced shutdown or smth. Or was it instantaneous shutdown (i.e again, not a restart, which is a different thing) ? So what is it ?

41 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Plenty of bad reviews for the RM 850x on Amazon too. 

Amazon reviews aren't indicative of anything, literally. They're being manipulated and people are just dumb generally.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

In a matter of seconds ? You make it sound like OS initiated forced shutdown or smth. Or was it instantaneous shutdown (i.e again, not a restart, which is a different thing) ? So what is it ?

Instantaneous shutdown. 3 or 4 times in a row. Like someone yanking out the power cable. 

Mhz |

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Amazon reviews aren't indicative of anything, literally. They're being manipulated and people are just dumb generally.

I don’t see why people would leave one star ratings and descriptions of fried components for no reason. 

Mhz |

Just now, Bobbysixjp said:

Instantaneous shutdown. 3 or 4 times in a row.

Okay, then it does look like actual PSU shutdown, which is first time i hear it with the RM-x in mind. What GPU (full model), motherboard, CPU ?

2 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

I don’t see why people would leave one star ratings and descriptions of fried components for no reason. 

There is a reason. People use modular cables from their previous PSU assuming incorrectly that they're compatible, they aren't. A very large amount of bad reviews (like >30% i guess) might indicate actual problems with the product, but otherwise it's just either people being dumb and not using the product properly or there's a very small amount of people actually ending up with failed product which leave the feedback of of thousands of whom didn't leave a feedback because their product worked just fine, or on the other hand, people buying an actual trash product leaving 'good' feedback because it at least works and they don't know better.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Okay, then it does look like actual PSU shutdown, which is first time i hear it with the RM-x in mind. What GPU (full model), motherboard, CPU ?

see my signature - whatever the reason I will try and RMA it.

Mhz |

5 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

see my signature - whatever the reason I will try and RMA it.

Oh, i've assumed that you already did, yeah, try it. But i'd advice cancelling ASUS and getting if not another RM-x which would be my usual recommendation then EVGA G6 instead, they're good and quite competitively priced.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Oh, i've assumed that you already did, yeah, try it. But i'd advice cancelling ASUS and getting if not another RM-x which would be my usual recommendation then EVGA G6 instead, they're good and quite competitively priced.

It already arrived and it is installed. I really don’t see what the problem is with the PSU - most reviews I’ve read online are pretty good.

Mhz |

It already arrived and it is installed. I really don’t see what the problem is with the PSU - most reviews I’ve read online are pretty good.

Okay, then keep it. It's not bad, it's just overpriced and doesn't offer anything that Seasonic Focus can't, which is often significantly cheaper.

15 minutes ago, Juular said:

Okay, then keep it. It's not bad, it's just overpriced and doesn't offer anything that Seasonic Focus can't, which is often significantly cheaper.

Maybe in the US but where I live (in Japan) the cheapest Seasonic Focus 850W PSU is 250 USD. 
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Seasonic-SSR-850FX-FOCUS-Power-Supply/dp/B073H3ZZQZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=フォーカスpsu&qid=1634042126&sr=8-4

Mhz |

2 hours ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Maybe in the US but where I live (in Japan) the cheapest Seasonic Focus 850W PSU is 250 USD.

Sure, Super Flower then. How much ASUS was ?

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Sure, Super Flower then. How much ASUS was ?

140 USD, super flower is around the same.

Mhz |

140 USD, super flower is around the same.

Then it's Super Flower all the way, or Corsair, but you don't trust them ... Other than that, there's a couple of cheaper but still fairly good units like MSI MPG A-GF, probably still would be better picks than ASUS/Seasonic.