Putting in second gpu?

Zonal

Hi, I’m just curious what would happen if I put in another gpu in my pc, I have one just sitting around and was wondering if there could be any point to it. Maybe this is a dumb question but I just thought of it and thought I’d ask. Thanks! (Btw they aren’t the same, one is an old Radeon and the other is a 3060)

useful for things like mining, or if you need more monitors than 1 gpu supports. other than that, there is no point, no performance increase to be had from 2, unless sli, but that is dead at this point. why not sell it? best market for that atm.

Yeah, I have a Sapphire Vega 64 sitting in it's box. Only reason I'm not mining on it is the fact that my main PC doesn't have any open PCIE slots that would accommodate a second GPU, and my server box's PSU is very far from rated high enough to run two GPU's. I don't think I would even meet the minimum requirements for the Vega 64, so the GTX 980 will stay in the server.

I'd go both for the reasons on a second GPU, mining, and I could drive two of my three monitors off the second GPU.

Also, if you're mining on your primary GPU, it can cause stuttering, if you use the same machine for other things like web browsing or youtube or whatever, but if you have a secondary GPU for mining, you might be able to get away without the stuttering if you just stop on the primary GPU.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Do note that mixing Nvidia and AMD graphics cards in the same computer is not recommended. The driver conflicts can cause a lot of unpredictable issues.