B450 MSI Mortar Max, 3200G, TPM activated, cannot get Secure Boot to activate.

Gaijin

Jesus I have never had such an experience installing an OS, or trying to. Microsoft fascists and their steps to hire less staff to tackle hacks is extremely annoying. When I try to turn on Secure Boot I get this warning:

WARNING: CSM IS Loaded!

Disable the CSM in Setup. Repeat operation to ensure UEFI Video (GOP) driver is operational.

There isn't even a vague 'Setup' tab in my BIOS so I have no idea what it is talking about. Can anyone help?

CSM is enabled and you’ll have a section in your BIOS to disable it. However, if your OS drive is using a MBR partition table which it likely is, you won’t be able to boot back up again if you disable CSM now. 

What you need to do first is confirm it’s MBR then convert it to GPT. Then you can disable CSM. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

Is your windows installation UEFI or Legacy?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

25 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Is your windows installation UEFI or Legacy?

Oof, I have no idea. Whatever is the default. Usually with a W7-10 install I can just format the drive I want as my OS and off we go, no idea why these jerks made it so difficult this time. One shouldn't need a CS degree to understand this, I don't know why they thought this was a good idea. I build my own rigs, but I've never even OCed anything, that's about the level of my understanding.

25 minutes ago, rickeo said:

CSM is enabled and you’ll have a section in your BIOS to disable it. However, if your OS drive is using a MBR partition table which it likely is, you won’t be able to boot back up again if you disable CSM now. 

What you need to do first is confirm it’s MBR then convert it to GPT. Then you can disable CSM. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

Yeah this is madness, I literally understand none of this lol. Should I really do this within Windows? Changing 'partition style' (whatever the hell that means) on a drive that's currently active as my OS drive?

My OS drive is already GUID Partition Table (GPT) as per that windows central article. And my BIOS mode is set to UEFI when I check within Windows. But still have that original warning.

58 minutes ago, Gaijin said:
  1. Yeah this is madness, I literally understand none of this lol. Should I really do this within Windows? Changing 'partition style' (whatever the hell that means) on a drive that's currently active as my OS drive?

I wouldn't but its explained both ways. 

This whole thing is only an issue because everyone seems to want to "upgrade" their OS instead of doing the preferable clean install. This would be very simple if you were OK with just making a Windows 11 bootable USB stick and wiping your current OS.

1 minute ago, Gaijin said:

My OS drive is already GUID Partition Table (GPT) as per that windows central article. And my BIOS mode is set to UEFI when I check within Windows. But still have that original warning.

Can you keep looking in your BIOS to find a setting for CSM? I know for Asus BIOS's, at least current ones, its under the Boot tab.

It sorted itself out, but I couldn't tell you how. I certainly changed nothing in the BIOS, or with the SSD partition classification. Thanks for the help lads. Now I'm trying to figure out how to not have a completely terrible C:/Users/ name that I can't even seem to choose...

Windows 11, everybody...

1 minute ago, Gaijin said:

It sorted itself out, but I couldn't tell you how. I certainly changed nothing in the BIOS, or with the SSD partition classification. Thanks for the help lads. Now I'm trying to figure out how to not have a completely terrible C:/Users/ name that I can't even seem to choose...

Windows 11, everybody...

I'm not sure how that has anything to do with Windows 11?

Just now, rickeo said:

I'm not sure how that has anything to do with Windows 11?

You're right, it was also an issue with 10.

An issue that still persists, and hasn't been fixed in several years.

Windows 11, everybody...